VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm trying to find this program that lets you do extensive editing of a VHS, were you can drag and drop from a video editing program like Abobe Premiere to the external program which imports it all into images, so then you can work frame by frame to remove any artefacts on the picture. It has a clone stamp feature allowing you to paint over the artefacts by overlaying the previous or following frame were the picture is clear, then you can mask over the white specs, streaks or whole big chunks of tape damage to clean the picture up.

I came across a really good video about it on Youtube a few days ago, but have forgotten the name of it so now can't find it! I was very impressed by it. Anyone have an idea what this program may be?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Search for the term 'Rotoscoping'
    Quote Quote  
  3. avisynth is best for that in most cases otherwise a software like this is used by pro's but cost $$$
    Last edited by themaster1; 28th Jan 2017 at 06:40.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Just by chance i came across it again! Just as i had given up looking for it.. all day

The program he was using is GIMP.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY85jhP6V-0

Looks like a great method to getting rid of VHS flashes, defects otherwise something automatic processing couldn't handle.

Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    avisynth is best for that in most cases otherwise a software like this is used by pro's but cost $$$
    That PFClean program looks excellent, though costs a bomb! Apparently used by film studious for restoring their old features. I've heard AviSynth is good for removing things like comets, but you'd have to get familiar with using scripts. Is it hard to do?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    Is it hard to do?
    Yes, particularly for what you want to use it for. But it's worth it and beats working on individual frames any more than you have to. Most of the work can be done using filters. Some can't be fixed and have to be edited in a photoeditor. Although I have Gimp installed, I do my frame editing in PhotoFiltre:

https://photofilltre-portable.jaleco.com/

And then I use AviSynth to replace the bad frames with the edited ones. At the risk of pimping my own YouTube channel, here are fairly easy-to-do examples of what can be accomplished using AviSynth with no individual frame editing at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4gqBI7TicE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N9ulGfU0OE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmjxa60gTLE

The second one was made from a VHS tape I captured. The third one is from a retail DVD made from a tape capture. I don't know the original source of the first one, although it's also from a retail DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Ah, i'll treat it as a college course and start learning all the basics then It will save alot of time. I won't be capturing my videos until i've built my new pc first, so should be a few weeks or so.

If it all becomes too much i'll revert to more user friendly methods.

Wow great results you got with it from those videos. Puts the home video distributors to shame!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    manono,

thats pretty impressive work. Can you share your AviSynth script? I have a ton of VHS that need clean-up from mosquito noise, signal interference, bouncy, etc. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. There's no single script. It takes me roughly 40 hours and three complete frame-by-frame goings over to clean up the crappy tapes and DVDs with which I work. There are many scripts used during the entire process, frequently as many as 20 different scripts to perform different filtering or work on different parts of the films.

For stabilization I use Stab, for noise clean up and general cleaning, RemoveDirtMC and FFT3DFilter. For frame artifact fixes, FixBadFrames, ReplaceFramesMC, FreezeFrameMC and BadFrames. For levels, luma, and contrast fixes, Levels, YLevels and Tweak. And other stuff. It's all grunt work fit only for the most anal retentive with way too much time on their hands.

If you'd like some of the filters, just ask.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    LOL.....OK, will do.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yup wrote excellent scripts to remove these dropouts (either black or white horizontal lines), see see here for example, Sometimes it's not enough hence the use or removespotsmc, degrainmedia, removedirtmc and other filters
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It’s 2020 now
    Is this filtering software available for a newer Mac?
    Quote Quote