VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-9-7-9-7-64gb-black/4361801.p?skuId=4361801

I can't seem to find a model of this being sold (the cellular version, preferably) that has more than 64 Gb. of internal memory. (Not referring to what you can add as storage, via SD card.) Has a 128 Gb. model been announced ? Possibly a good question for anyone who attended the recent CES . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. upcoming model not sure if it debuted in CES...
    if not probabably later this spring
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the upcoming tab s3 is still in the "only rumors" stage. but there's no reason for them to offer 128gb of internal storage when it will have a microsd slot that will probably accept the newer large capacity sdxc cards up to 2tb.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    the upcoming tab s3 is still in the "only rumors" stage. but there's no reason for them to offer 128gb of internal storage when it will have a microsd slot that will probably accept the newer large capacity sdxc cards up to 2tb.
    Well, there may be a good reason. Assuming he knew what he was talking about, the sales rep at the local Verizon store told me that there are significant limitations on how much in the way of apps you can run from the SD card -- vs. from the internal memory, which is where they should go -- and whether those apps will run effectively. If that's correct, you put a full office suite and some other heavy duty stuff onto the internal memory, and suddenly 32 Gb. ain't so much space to work with. But I've never used a tablet before . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. MicroSD memory expansion with phones and tablets is very hit-or-miss. Sample variation abounds in the devices thamselves as well as the memory cards. Brands like Samsung have been known to veer from total compatibility with even counterfeit memory cards one year, to being totally useless with ANY memory card the next. Recently Android and Windows Phone have taken the position of preferring apps not be installed or run from MicroSD cards at all, which caused even more problems.

This discrepancy has finally led to several brands reluctantly offering 64Gb models (where they might previously have topped out at 32GB), or lowering the price somewhat of their formerly-highway-robbery 64Gb models. But we seem to have stalled at 64Gb, due to your typical consumer totally falling for the "cloud storage" BS and streaming services. Mfrs consider 64GB more than enough for apps, unless you're running a faux-laptop like a Surface Pro. The mass market is the tail that wags the mfr dog: unless consumers clamor for 128Gb internal memory, it ain't gonna become common, and so far consumers ain't clamoring. Apple offers a couple 128Gb SKUs, but they aren't cheap, and Android mfrs don't seem enthused about 128Gb at all. I had hoped that attitude might change as memory prices fell over time, but it doesn't seem to be the case: instead, device mfrs are enjoying the reward of dirt cheap 32Gb chips but saying "no, thanks" to higher capacities.

Maybe we'll get lucky this coming spring...
    Last edited by orsetto; 30th Jan 2017 at 13:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    MicroSD memory expansion with phones and tablets is very hit-or-miss. Sample variation abounds in the devices thamselves as well as the memory cards. Brands like Samsung have been known to veer from total compatibility with even counterfeit memory cards one year, to being totally useless with ANY memory card the next. Recently Android and Windows Phone have taken the position of preferring apps not be installed or run from MicroSD cards at all, which caused even more problems.

This discrepancy has finally led to several brands reluctantly offering 64Gb models (where they might previously have topped out at 32GB), or lowering the price somewhat of their formerly-highway-robbery 64Gb models. But we seem to have stalled at 64Gb, due to your typical consumer totally falling for the "cloud storage" BS and streaming services. Mfrs consider 64GB more than enough for apps, unless you're running a faux-laptop like a Surface Pro. The mass market is the tail that wags the mfr dog: unless consumers clamor for 128Gb internal memory, it ain't gonna become common, and so far consumers ain't clamoring. Apple offers a couple 128Gb SKUs, but they aren't cheap, and Android mfrs don't seem enthused about 128Gb at all. I had hoped that attitude might change as memory prices fell over time, but it doesn't seem to be the case: instead, device mfrs are enjoying the reward of dirt cheap 32Gb chips but saying "no, thanks" to higher capacities.

Thanks much for the benefit of your knowledge in these areas.
    I just upgraded from a Galaxy S4 straight to a Galaxy S7. The S4 had reached the point where the battery was very disappointing. After turning it on in the morning with a full charge, and not doing anything with the phone, the power would drop like 12 % in the first 15 - 20 minutes. I ditched a whole bunch of apps that may have been memory hogs, running in the background, but it did not help that much. The common explanations for this that I received were an aging of the device and battery, &/or later OS versions and apps overwhelming a much older phone design than what is the state of the art today. Either way, the results were not acceptable. Not even with a Juicepak case providing a backup battery. I hope this phone will be a big improvement.

Similarly, I don't think 32 Gb. will cut it for a tablet. One of the main reasons for my even getting a tablet is to run spreadsheet type things, including tracking of player competition brackets and the like. I would not want to go to the trouble of getting a tab, only to find it was under-powered for certain tasks. I've already run into enough difficulties getting add-on SD cards usable in streaming boxes. We're told it should be pretty straightforward, but in actual use the answer is 'Not so much.'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    android is a bit different then windows. apps including full office suites are not large storage users. what you can have put onto microsd storage is all the data, photos, video and other space consumers. apps you don't use much you can delete and if you change your mind re-install easily from google play. they are always available if you purchase them.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as for battery life - try not to purchase anything that doesn't have an easily replaceable battery. batteries all loose storage capacity every time you re-charge them. the only fix is to replace them every year or so.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    MicroSD memory expansion with phones and tablets is very hit-or-miss. Sample variation abounds in the devices thamselves as well as the memory cards. Brands like Samsung have been known to veer from total compatibility with even counterfeit memory cards one year, to being totally useless with ANY memory card the next. Recently Android and Windows Phone have taken the position of preferring apps not be installed or run from MicroSD cards at all, which caused even more problems.

Your comments on this were quite helpful (as usual), and then there was what aedipuss had to say in post #7. But I still regard more integral memory as preferable.

It looks like the S3 was more than a rumor. They seem to be taking direct aim at the Surface.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/samsung-galaxy-tab-s3/pcmcat1486759089648.c?id=pcmcat1486759089648

No mention as to whether this will have a 64 Gb. version -- or larger -- but the S2 had a 64 Gb. version, albeit not widely sold from what I observed. So one would think they would not retreat from that. This leaves me wondering if I should wait on further news of the S3. While my primary use for it would still be as a tablet, I like the included attachable keyboard and the 2-in-one option could be some added value worth having.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the tab s3 has been officially confirmed. looks like it's going to be 32gb only per the released specs.

Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-27_151621.png
Views:	475
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	40771  

--
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. Some good features, but seems to me they will be stinting on the memory, to the product's detriment -- particularly if they intend to compete with the "laptop-overlapping" (or at least netbook-overlapping) Surface Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    samsung will use the galaxy "books" to compete with the surface pros
    --
    Quote Quote