VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a better or more recommended way to scale the picture on a DVD of mine into a higher resolution that actually looks fairly nice?

I suppose I could use avisynth and lanczos or spline resizers, but there's probably a much better way to keep the picture from blurring and scaling it better.

Does anyone have any suggestions that would provide better results than just resizing in avisynth?
    Quote Quote  
  2. That waifu2x looks like it's for still pictures/images, not video scaling and editing.

The nnedi3 I will have to check out.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I suppose I could use avisynth and lanczos or spline resizers, but there's probably a much better way to keep the picture from blurring and scaling it better.
    NNedi3 and the spline resizers are better, but upscaling standard definition doesn't increase the resolution. It just makes the frame bigger. The result will still look soft, like low-resolution source blown up.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. With animated material you can upscale and get very sharp results without aliasing or bad oversharpening halos. Much better than the upscaling any player or TV can do.

There is a waifu2x filter for AviSynth but it's dreadfully slow. Use nnedi3_rpow2(), aWarpsharp(), and Sharpen().
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, done carefully you can make the upscale look better than the SD original. But upscaling by itself won't make those improvements. It takes more work than just enlarging the frame. The OP thinks he'll get "high resolution" from the source. It won't happen.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 24th Jan 2017 at 09:29.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, I will give them both a try when I return home.

I didn't expect it to become HD quality, I was just hoping to find a way to get clearer looking scaling results than the only method I could think of. Even if it ends up somewhat better/clearer looking on my TV/Computer that would be nice.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I usually use a sequence like:

Code:
    #starting with an SD frame, after noise reduction, decimation, etc.

nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=960, fheight=720)
    aWarpSharp2(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)

nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=1440, fheight=1080)
    aWarpSharp2(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.5)
    Quote Quote  
  8. This worked decent enough.

nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="LanczosResize", fwidth=1440, fheight=1080)
    awarpsharp(depth=3, blurlevel=1)
    LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.0, ss_y=1.00, strength=5, overshoot=0, undershoot=0, soft=0, edgemode=0)

Thanks Jagabo!
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you can afford the CPU time I would recommend you use nnedi3_rpow2(4... so that you're downsizing with Lanczos rather than upsizing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I don't mind the slower times and I have very good computer so I will give that a try.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    That waifu2x looks like it's for still pictures/images, not video scaling and editing.
    Nope - waifu2x is perfectly fine for video - like most of common resizers waifu2x doesn't use information form other frames to reconstruct higher spatial resolution (supersampling) - waifu2x is simply slow but if you have plenty of time and you searching for best results then waifu2x may be worth at least to try.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    That waifu2x looks like it's for still pictures/images, not video scaling and editing.
    Nope - waifu2x is perfectly fine for video - like most of common resizers waifu2x doesn't use information form other frames to reconstruct higher spatial resolution (supersampling) - waifu2x is simply slow but if you have plenty of time and you searching for best results then waifu2x may be worth at least to try.
    I don't know how to use waifu2x in avisynth, I didn't see any examples or parameters listed.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    (waifu2x) I don't mind the slower times
    You will when you see how slow it is.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The vapoursynth waifu2x version is 30-40x faster than the avisynth version. The avisynth version has no CPU or GPU optimizations
    Quote Quote