VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Until I find the answers to the questions below, I won't be able to use BD Rebuilder on my new computer, as I need to know the optimal codec settings before i begin (otherwise I risk making mistakes)

In steps 2C and 8 of the installation guide linked to below, jdobbs describes the necessary rules for installing both ffdshow (along with Haali Matroska Splitter) and LAV Filters on a computer on which you will be using BD-Rebuilder. However, in 2A, he implies that LAV is superior to the ffdshow/Haali combination.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

My questions are as follows:

1. Even if ffdshow isn't necessary for BD-Rebuilder, won't I inevitably eventually need it for some other program (AviSynth, VirtualDub, SolveigMM Video Splitter, etc)? I seem to remember many programs on my old computer (on which I had ffdshow installed) asking to use ffdshow (they would pop up a box asking whether to use it just this once or always). The same may also be true of Haali (I seem to recall UsEac3to asking for it once).

2. Do the installation instructions he gives in that thread cause BD Rebuilder to use ffdshow/Haali rather than LAV if both ffdshow (along with Haali)and LAV are installed on the computer? If so, is there any way to install both ffdshow and/or Haali (for the sake of other programs that might need them) and LAV but have BD Rebuilder just use LAV?

3. I want to make sure I understand jdobb's instructions in that thread for installing both LAV and ffmpeg/Haali. Do they require only the following:

A. Install ffmpeg and Haali before LAV, rather than after.

B. Make sure MPEG2, VC-1, and wmv9 are enabled in the ffmpeg video settings.

C. Make sure "Uncompressed" is set to "All Supported" in the ffmpeg audio settings.

Am I missing anything? Do I need to change any other defaults in the ffmpeg installation and/or settings? And is it safe to check all of the options seen in this photo (including those left unchecked by default), in case I ever need the unchecked components/plugins:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ffdshow%201%20part%202_zpsh9xt3qja.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	40394
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1. Don't install Haali
    2. Don't install ffdshow

That's all you need to know. They are both unnecessary and outdated.

If - contrary to expectations - you do need to install them you can still do it later (and then uninstall LAV, install ffdshow+haali, then install LAV again). But only very few softwares still need it. For example eac3to uses the Haali muxer for mkv muxing but not for other operations IIRC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    1. Don't install Haali
    2. Don't install ffdshow

That's all you need to know. They are both unnecessary and outdated.

If - contrary to expectations - you do need to install them you can still do it later (and then uninstall LAV, install ffdshow+haali, then install LAV again). But only very few softwares still need it. For example eac3to uses the Haali muxer for mkv muxing but not for other operations IIRC.
    I believe I was was trying to mux to m2ts (albeit from an MKV source) when eac3to asked me for Haali. I was using the "Run and TsMux" option.

So, it is unwise to have both LAV and ffdshow/Haali installed at once?
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's unwise to install software you don't need and may possibly conflict with other software, that's all I'm saying.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    It's unwise to install software you don't need and may possibly conflict with other software, that's all I'm saying.
    I see. I think I'll probably just install LAV for the time being, then.

Thank you for the advice.
    Quote Quote