VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help.. please help.
    I had a DVD disk from a Sony camcorder.
    I finalized the disk. Now I'm trying to convert the files to MPEG I get the error IFO File is Invalid. "The IFO FIle is invalid. D:\Video_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO"
    I was able to get some of the video but not all of it.
    I'm using Bigasoft VOB Converter (Trail Version).
    The disk is no longer readable in the camcorder.

This disk holds the video of when my second child was born. And this is the part that is missing!!!
    If I can't get this fixed my wife is going to kill me!! She has no clue yet!

IS there anyway to fix this?!?!

HELP HELP HELP
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please do not post the same question in other forums,i deleted your post there,just continue in this thread.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by codymonster View Post
    Stop using garbage like this.
    Can you copy and paste the contents of the disc to your computer?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help.. please help.
    I finalized the disk. Now I'm trying to convert the files to MPEG I get the error IFO File is Invalid. "The IFO FIle is invalid. D:\Video_TS\VTS_01_0.IFO"

This disk holds the video of when my second child was born. And this is the part that is missing!!!

HELP HELP HELP
    Can you open the DVD in Windows Explorer/File Explorer and see a list of the individual files and folders on the DVD?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can try opening all the VOB files at once in DGIndex and then going File->Save Project and Demux Video. If you're lucky you'll get an M2V of the video and the audio, whatever it is. Reauthor using Muxman.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Please do not post the same question in other forums,i deleted your post there,just continue in this thread.
    Sorry.. I thought I should post in the camcorder section then I saw this section for video errors.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Stop using garbage like this.
    Can you copy and paste the contents of the disc to your computer?
    Okay.. my first time doing this. I don't know what else to use.
    Could you suggest something?

Yes, I can copy to my computer
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Help.. please help.

HELP HELP HELP
    Can you open the DVD in Windows Explorer/File Explorer and see a list of the individual files and folders on the DVD?
    Yes.. Looking at the disk on the camcorder the other videos will come up.
    Although it takes forever! I would still like to get this fixed so I can play in outside of the camcorder.

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, I can copy to my computer
    If you can copy the entire contents of the disc to your computer and all of the footage is there....you are basically done.
    You need to join the VOB(?) file(s) into one single lump of video.....and DO IT FROM THE COPY on the computer.

VOB2MPG might work as long as the disc was authored somewhat normally by the camera during the finalizing process.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got some time today to work on this issue. I can not download the files from the mini-CD to my HD. It says that it can not read files. However when I load the disk into the camcorder it will read the files. Although it takes forever to initialize. Any ideas would help.
    Thanks everyone for the help so far. I've downloaded and started to use the suggested programs. Thanks for the input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Got some time today to work on this issue. I can not download the files from the mini-CD to my HD. It says that it can not read files. However when I load the disk into the camcorder it will read the files. Although it takes forever to initialize. Any ideas would help.
    Thanks everyone for the help so far. I've downloaded and started to use the suggested programs. Thanks for the input.
    VOB2MPEG is NOT going to help in this situation until you get the disc copied to your computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the camcorder can read the video but external units cannot, then it is obviously not finalized. Finalize it in the camcorder. Or attach the camcorder to your computer via USB or firewire (you did not say model number of camcorder) and copy the files over. If you get all the files over, I would use handbrake to convert to whatever you want. Keep originals of course.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    VOB2MPEG is NOT going to help in this situation until you get the disc copied to your computer.
    Yes I know.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    If the camcorder can read the video but external units cannot, then it is obviously not finalized. Finalize it in the camcorder. Or attach the camcorder to your computer via USB or firewire (you did not say model number of camcorder) and copy the files over. If you get all the files over, I would use handbrake to convert to whatever you want. Keep originals of course.
    But I did finalize it. Even the finalize button is grayed out on the camcorder.
    I can't use un-finalize either
    I've tried to use the DVD player on my computer AND connect via firewire to USB from the camcorder.
    I'm able to get 11 of 15 files down to my computer.
    It's a Sony DCR-DVD305 BTW

It's just freaking odd... I can see the videos when I open them on the camcorder but not move them over to the HD.
    I get the error "can not read disk" just strange.
    Last edited by codymonster; 29th Jan 2017 at 14:00.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ISOBuster might allow you to copy the videos that you want to save. Only the full/paid version is able to recover individual recordings, but try the free/trial version first. The free version allows users to see what the full version may be able to recover. If the free demo version doesn't show the recordings that you want, then it isn't worth paying for the full version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What files won't copy? The video files end in .vob; if you can get those off all is OK. You can use vobmerge to merge them all and convert to mp4 later.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What files won't copy? The video files end in .vob; if you can get those off all is OK. You can use vobmerge to merge them all and convert to mp4 later.
    Nope, can't get the VOB files off.
    When I use the recommended ISO Buster it gives me sector errors.
    Again.. its weird. When I try to download the 4 of the 15 files to my HD it doesn't work.
    However, when I run the disk in the camcorder I can see the video and it works.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If ISOBuster is returning sector errors it means the DVD drive cannot read anything from that part of the DVD. If the DVD is not dirty or scratched, then there is nothing that can be done to improve readability.

Someone with more experience with data recovery might be able to find a way to copy the missing video from your disc regardless, but you probably can't.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If ISOBuster is returning sector errors it means the DVD drive cannot read anything from that part of the DVD. If the DVD is not dirty or scratched, then there is nothing that can be done to improve readability.

Someone with more experience with data recovery might be able to find a way to copy the missing video from your disc regardless, but you probably can't.
    That is what I'm fearing as well.
    But the odd thing is that the video plays from the camcorder but I can't move the files to my HD.
    Freaking bizarre!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But the odd thing is that the video plays from the camcorder but I can't move the files to my HD.
    Freaking bizarre!
    The camera may still able use its own information about recordings that it has stored on the DVD (in a proprietary format) even if finalization failed.

It isn't an ideal solution but, if all else fails and the video that you want to save still plays, it can be re-recorded with a capture device of some kind.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Freaking bizarre!
    So you have followed all steps in the manual that are stated on pages 58 and 59? If you have and no other players can play, then you can only capture the output via SVideo, as there is no HDMI on it is there.

Page 63 also tells you how to "unfinalize"
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM

Freaking bizarre!
    So you have followed all steps in the manual that are stated on pages 58 and 59? If you have and no other players can play, then you can only capture the output via SVideo, as there is no HDMI on it is there.

Page 63 also tells you how to "unfinalize"
    Yes, followed 58 and 59. And "unfinalize" is greyed out. Can't unfinalize the disk.
    I agree, I think I'm out of options, will have to capture the output via the A/V jack.
    However, I can't find the A/V connecting cable. I've moved 4 times.. one of them overseas.
    God knows where the thing is at!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    Have you tried using different DVD drives
    Use ISOBuster to create a managed image with one drive and then use a second, third, etc, drive(s) to fill in the missing info
    Sometimes one brand of drive can get around an error that another brand can't
    Works better (?) if different chipsets are use in the drives
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What type and brand of disc is it?

Dvd-r or DVD-RW, etc
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM

Dvd-r or DVD-RW, etc
    Sony DVD - R
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM

Dvd-r or DVD-RW, etc
    Sony DVD - R
    DVD-R is not re-writable media. That is why it isn't possible to unfinalize it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-R is not re-writable media. That is why it isn't possible to unfinalize it.
    This absolutely right. If you used DVD-R you will not be able to unfinalize. There obviously is an issue with the finalization process, the media, or the recorder. I would try to play the DVD-R in a bunch of DIFFERENT players to see if it works (PC and standalone). If you can find a player that works, the you can capture via HDMI with no quality loss if you have a suitable capture device. If not, then composite capture will have to do.
    Quote Quote