VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I was just now casting about for a good, reliable, preferably freeware, easy-to-use video (.avi) joiner. Googling the subject has inevitably turned up partisan crap. By partisan I mean that the authors of the lists of likely programs more than probably have a vested interest in spreading this manure i.e. receive some kind of kickback.

I have been registered here for many years and trust the site 100% and can't think why it didn't occur to me to come here first. But, there it is. That's how clever I am ...

So, what would some suggestions from you good people?

Thank you.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    First choice AVI editors are (in this order) VirtualDub (or the more recent FilterMod of this project) and Avidemux.

Please don't be surprised if concatenating AVIs does not always work without issues. Sometimes two files are just not compatible to each other; but often issues can be solved.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    First choice AVI editors are (in this order) VirtualDub (or the more recent FilterMod of this project) and Avidemux.

Please don't be surprised if concatenating AVIs does not always work without issues. Sometimes two files are just not compatible to each other; but often issues can be solved.
    VirtualDub - haven't used, will try. Avidemux - use it several times a month and like it, and there is a 64-bit version to boot. I will try VD after this. That's SourceForge, right? So much the better .

Thank you LigH,
    Tschüss!

Name:  Swedenflag cropped 75x50.gif
Views: 839
Size:  235.0 KB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Name:  Doh! Too 45x45.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  1.7 KB NoGo with VD:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1029
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	40374
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Double Doh! My luck just continues (I had previously use Avidemux (2.6)
    for editing, never joining:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	103
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	40376
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    It doesn't matter if VirtualDub can decode a video to display it; it can still handle its structure, append one to another, in the mode "Video - Direct Stream Copy" (Audio as well).

And if you still want DivX to be supported, try either installing a VfW codec which can decode it (e.g. Xvid, or ffdshow), or test if VirtualDub FilterMod can use an internal decoder.

One more alternative software: AviMux-GUI: add to AVI files (drag&drop or right-click in the top list); select both (Ctrl+click); "generate data sources from files"; save as new AVI.
    Last edited by LigH.de; 21st Jan 2017 at 02:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by VenusAndMars View Post
    No joiner/editor is going to join two completely different, unrelated "AVI" files easily.
    "AVI" is only a CONTAINER that can contain a hugely varied combination of different video and audio types or codecs.

Why people don't START OFF with this fact/information is beyond me.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Because of "Groundhog Day". Why repeat once more the same arguments which have been repeated for years already.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, these are all very wise words. In the meantime, I joined the clips using the Movavi Suite - the completed movie plays beautifully. So it's a non-problem as of yesterday.

Thank you for a most edifying discussion though.

Name:  My Liege...100 x 69.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  3.9 KB
    Quote Quote