VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Was new to this subject - converting useless 10-bit video files to user-friendly 8-bit versions - without upgrading hardware - but now have a handle on it!
    Although there might be a freeware program that might do the job - there is a freeware combination that does it, but with full control at each stage
    If you don't already have them, these are the freeware programs you need and the simple stages below for each part
    1. MKVToolNixGui - the latest version just keeps getting better with each new-build issue!!
    Drag 'n' drop 10-bit (usually comes as MKV anyway, maybe not) and de-select video codec and all other codecs (subs/srt, tags, chapters etc) - just leave the audio codec (usually aac, but might be ac-3, mp3) whatever, only leave audio codec checked - 'mux' this to a 'save' folder of your choosing (note its file extension is mka!!)
    Now, drag and drop the same 10-bit 'donor' file into MKVToolNixGui window and de-select all but the video track (HEVC, or H.264, or H263) and save to another file
    2. Leawo file converter freeware - for all audio codec conversions, output as AAC, found under 'Common Audio' tab and convert as aac, even if the original was an AAC, which was 'muxed' as an mka file from MKVToolNixGUI - note that the 'new' aac files created are very much smaller that the originals - bonus!
    3. DiVX player and file Converter - when installed as freeware version, open DivX converter , select 'HEVC 720p' as your output profile, then drag and drop newly-created 'muxed' MKV codec into the main window. You may be able to adjust the kbps value to something like 1482kbps (save this as custom profile if you have a set where the file size want to be about the same - size will vary slightly, but bit rates for all future video codecs are now outputted the same - conversion takes a couple of hours for a 43-minute file [other 10-bit file converters available take about the same time, but DivX Converter has a good user interface
    When the video has completed (might be worth loading DIVX Converter just before bedtime) - use MKVToolNixGUI to re-mux new AAC and new mute MKV to new file.
    I take this opportunity to add artwork (600x600) to 'Attachments' tab. Also embed name in 'Output' tab. This should produce a perfect 8-bit video file (HEVC/AAC); my player of choice is DIVX player, which has HEVC playing codecs onboard
    As of January 2017, all these freeware products are still available - just download either 32-bit or 64-bit versions for your system - good luck!!
    VideoWiz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Although there might be a freeware program that might do the job
    Like ffmpeg

Code:
    ffmpeg -i 10bits.mkv -c:v libx265 -preset slow -crf 20 -c:a aac -b:a 160k 8bits.mkv
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post

Like ffmpeg

Code:
    ffmpeg -i 10bits.mkv -c:v libx265 -preset slow -crf 20 -c:a aac -b:a 160k 8bits.mkv
    This did not work for me. I ended up with a 10-bit file, just like the input file.

Also, it took over 4 days to render. x264 took less than a day to render.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Code:
    ffmpeg -i "10bits.mkv" -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:v libx264 -preset medium -crf 20 -c:a copy "8bits.mkv"
    When using libx264 or libx265 instead of preset "medium" you can choose from these to change encoding speed to your needs:
    ultrafast
    superfast
    veryfast
    faster
    fast
    medium
    slow
    slower
    veryslow
    placebo

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.265

Depending on your hardware/OS you can also use hardware decoding/encoding to speed things up:
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro
    Quote Quote  
  5. When using ffmpeg you need to set '-pix_fmt yuv420p' if you want YUV 4:2:0 8bit output.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by VideoWiz View Post
    Was new to this subject - converting useless 10-bit video files to user-friendly 8-bit versions - without upgrading hardware - but now have a handle on it!
    What a brave statement - are you able to elaborate why 10-bit video files are useless especially that is commonly agreed that 10 bit video support is one of most important things brought to consumer world by new codecs generation (such as HEVC). Why do you need upgrade HW if consumer profile (Main 10, High Tier, Level 5.1) for HEVC is 10 bit by default?!?
    Last edited by pandy; 13th May 2018 at 12:30.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Or we could ask, what actual hardware that supports HEVC does not support 10bit but 8 bits only?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Intel Skylake, some older/cheaper smartphones, some AMD GPUs (UVD 5.0 or UVD 6.0 or something).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by VideoWiz View Post
    What a brave statement - are you able to elaborate why 10-bit video files are useless especially that is commonly agreed that 10 bit video support is one of most important things brought to consumer world by new codecs generation (such as HEVC). Why do you need upgrade HW if consumer profile (Main 10, High Tier, Level 5.1) for HEVC is 10 bit by default?!?
    One brave statement for another, I guess?

No one with an 8 bit panel has any use for 10 bit video. None, zilch, nada. My 90” Sharp is an SDR 1080p panel, so what use do I have for 10 bit video? Or, perhaps I should go purchase a 4K panel to watch 1080p video? That would represent a useless investment considering I require neither to watch the hundreds of Blu-Rays I already own. This is likely the HW upgrade the OP refers to.

I for one am sick and tired of people who don’t know me suggesting that my needs are exactly as there’s are. Plex uses this same broken argument to defend their unwillingness to provide adequate tone mapping to their client.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ToeCutter0 View Post

One brave statement for another, I guess?

No one with an 8 bit panel has any use for 10 bit video. None, zilch, nada. My 90” Sharp is an SDR 1080p panel, so what use do I have for 10 bit video? Or, perhaps I should go purchase a 4K panel to watch 1080p video? That would represent a useless investment considering I require neither to watch the hundreds of Blu-Rays I already own. This is likely the HW upgrade the OP refers to.

I for one am sick and tired of people who don’t know me suggesting that my needs are exactly as there’s are. Plex uses this same broken argument to defend their unwillingness to provide adequate tone mapping to their client.

Yes people have reasons for 10bit video , even with 8bit panels

If you're encoding or producing video, you get better quality/higher compression ratio, less banding, more accurate colors with 10bit encoding vs. 8bit encoding. Even from an 8bit source , when viewed on an 8bit display . Lots of examples and proof of this.

In professional production pipelines - intermediates are usually in 10bit or more to reduce the 8bit rounding losses, even if the end result and/or display was meant to be 8bit distribution. 10bit is actually "mandatory" for intermediates in many cases

But if you're just watching a retail BD, there is no benefit - because you're not encoding or producing anything .

Don't assume what you want or need, is what everyone else with 8bit panels might need. Some people might get "sick and tired" of that
    Quote Quote