VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi, i want to record some things i have on my dvr to my laptop. i have a mac. i tried the double hdmi cord but that did not work. please help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. use capture card like yk918h with the 15mbps mini firmware upgrade:

http://www.timeleak.com.cn/en/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=101
    Quote Quote  
  3. <deleted> double post
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Recommend you provide more info. Your entire setup (details) and equipment you are now using.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fifalwt91 View Post
    hi, i want to record some things i have on my dvr to my laptop. i have a mac. i tried the double hdmi cord but that did not work. please help.
    Take all of ezcapper's recommendations with a grain of salt. ezcapper's purpose for being here appears to be promoting products sold direct from China, starting with his very first post at VideoHelp.

The only strong point for devices like the yk918h are that they ignore HDCP after someone installs particular firmware. Otherwise they are low-quality. If you try to capture 1080i output from your DVR, ezcapper's suggestion will discard every other field as it deinterlaces, providing captures with only half the number of frames they should have. You must capture with the DVR set to output 720p. The yk918h itself also splits recordings into 2GB pieces, which you must join later to have the complete recording in one file.

The Elgato Game Capture HD comes with software designed for use with OS X and has none of the restrictions of the cheap Chinese boxes. It captures in H.264 directly to the computer via a USB 2.0 connection, assuming your Mac meets its minimum system requirements. However, you will need an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP to record. Not all HDMI spliters do, but this one can: https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-Model/dp/B004F9LVXC/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Jan 2017 at 14:41.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DVWannaB View Post
    Recommend you provide more info. Your entire setup (details) and equipment you are now using.
    i'm not sure my exact box but i'm an xfinity customer. i will look into the kind of box i have
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    hi, i want to record some things i have on my dvr to my laptop. i have a mac. i tried the double hdmi cord but that did not work. please help.
    Take all of ezcapper's recommendations with a grain of salt. ezcapper's purpose for being here appears to be promoting products sold direct from China, starting with his very first post at VideoHelp.

The only strong point for devices like the yk918h are that they ignore HDCP after someone installs particular firmware. Otherwise they are low-quality. If you try to capture 1080i output from your DVR, ezcapper's suggestion will discard every other field as it deinterlaces, providing captures with only half the number of frames they should have. You must capture with the DVR set to output 720p. The yk918h itself also splits recordings into 2GB pieces, which you must join later to have the complete recording in one file.

The Elgato Game Capture HD comes with software designed for use with OS X and has none of the restrictions of the cheap Chinese boxes. It captures in H.264 directly to the computer via a USB 2.0 connection, assuming your Mac meets its minimum system requirements. However, you will need an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP to record. Not all HDMI spliters do, but this one can: https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-Model/dp/B004F9LVXC/
    will this work on a xfinity/comcast dvr cable box?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by fifalwt91 View Post
    Originally Posted by DVWannaB View Post
    i'm not sure my exact box but i'm an xfinity customer. i will look into the kind of box i have
    i'm not sure how i'd specify the box but its a cable/dvr box from xfinity/comcast
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet;2474511
    The Elgato Game Capture HD comes with software designed for use with OS X and has none of the restrictions of the cheap Chinese boxes. It captures in H.264 directly to the computer via a USB 2.0 connection, assuming your Mac meets its minimum system requirements. However, you will need an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP to record. Not all HDMI spliters do, but this one can: [url
    https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-Model/dp/B004F9LVXC/[/url]
    It should, but much would depend up two things:
    1. Whether or not your laptop meets the hardware requirements for the elgato game capture HD and
    2. Whether or not you have an Xfinity X1 box and set up to output video at 1080p. The elgato game capture HD can't record at 1080p60.

I have a Windows PC and used a different capture device (from Hauppauge) and the splitter in my post to record the output from a RNG110 cable box from Xfinity/Comcast. The splitter sucessfully removed HDCP. I haven't used any elgato products, but elgato has a good reputation and is more mac-centric than windows-centric. I never had an Xfinity DVR. Today, I use a CableCARD tuner instead of a capture device, and my Windows PC is my DVR.

If your Mac laptop doesn't meet the elgato Game capture HD's requirements, you could use something like the AVerMedia ER130 or AVerMedia ER310, which are stand-alone recording devices. They also have the ability to record 1080i as 1080i. They record to an NTFS formatted hard drive and the entire recordings is contained in one mp4 file. Unfortunately, they can't record the 1080p60 output from an X1 box either.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 19th Jan 2017 at 16:42. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The Elgato Game Capture HD comes with software designed for use with OS X and has none of the restrictions of the cheap Chinese boxes. It captures in H.264 directly to the computer via a USB 2.0 connection, assuming your Mac meets its minimum system requirements. However, you will need an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP to record. Not all HDMI spliters do, but this one can: [url
    1. Whether or not your laptop meets the hardware requirements for the elgato game capture HD and
    2. Whether or not you have an Xfinity X1 box and set up to output video at 1080p. The elgato game capture HD can't record at 1080p60.

I have a Windows PC and used a different capture device (from Hauppauge) and the splitter in my post to record the output from a RNG110 cable box from Xfinity/Comcast. The splitter sucessfully removed HDCP. I haven't used any elgato products, but elgato has a good reputation and is more mac-centric than windows-centric. I never had an Xfinity DVR. Today, I use a CableCARD tuner instead of a capture device, and my Windows PC is my DVR.

If your Mac laptop doesn't meet the elgato Game capture HD's requirements, you could use something like the AVerMedia ER130 or AVerMedia ER310, which are stand-alone recording devices. They also have the ability to record 1080i as 1080i. They record to an NTFS formatted hard drive and the entire recordings is contained in one mp4 file. Unfortunately, they can't record the 1080p60 output from an X1 box either.

you mean this elgato? it say it has 1080p quality https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIQ40JQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9...KCV2RI77K&th=1
    Quote Quote  
  11. This is the product I use to do exactly what you are describing:

Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

you mean this elgato? it say it has 1080p quality https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIQ40JQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9...KCV2RI77K&th=1
    The elgato Game Capture HD (from my post) and elgato Game Capture HD 60 (from your link) are different products. The elgato Game Capture HD 60 can capture 1080i as 1080i and captures 1080p60 input as 1080p60.

The Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2 is also good. You would need to buy software to record on a Mac: https://www.hdpvrcapture.com/wordpress/?page_id=1118 ..or you could buy the HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus instead, which comes with HDPVRCapture software for OSX. ...but neither the Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2 nor the HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus are able to capture 1080p60 as 1080p60. The Hauppauge HD PVR 60 Gaming Edition can capture 1080p60 as 1080p60, but there is no software for it that runs on OS X.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

The elgato Game Capture HD (from my post) and elgato Game Capture HD 60 (from your link) are different products. The elgato Game Capture HD 60 can capture 1080i as 1080i and captures 1080p60 input as 1080p60.

The Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2 is also good. You would need to buy software to record on a Mac: https://www.hdpvrcapture.com/wordpress/?page_id=1118 ..or you could buy the HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus instead, which comes with HDPVRCapture software for OSX. ...but neither the Hauppauge 1512 HD-PVR 2 nor the HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition Plus are able to capture 1080p60 as 1080p60. The Hauppauge HD PVR 60 Gaming Edition can capture 1080p60 as 1080p60, but there is no software for it that runs on OS X.

okay, so if i were to get this elgato https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00840353W/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER , i'd need the https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-1080P-Model/dp/B004F9LVXC/ as well?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The VHD-1X2MN3D is needed if someone plans to record the HDMI ouput from a cable box or cable DVR with any of the Hauppauge or elgato capture devices discussed in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I'm wondering if there might exist any device like this

http://www.frys.com/product/8221236?site=204premail052817

but which also strips HDCP (preferably the latest iteration of it) at least as well as the ViewHD unit does, and is a reliable, quality piece of gear ? That would mean -- for example -- no rampant overheating issues, or sudden, unpredictable shutoffs. I don't care if it is not sold in the U.S., provided that it is obtainable and fully compatible with our equipment here. The cost is open. It also does not need to handle 5 devices; 3 would suffice.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to partially and belatedly answer my own post #15 above: I'm almost certain that there was a 4-port version of the same oft-recommended ViewHD HDMI multiplexer / CP stripper. I may even have bought one -- will have to look around, as all I'm finding at the moment is the 2-port model and the one that converts to Component. Assuming that's correct, I'll check to see if their 4-port model is still being sold.

[EDIT: apparently so https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-Certified-Outputs/dp/B00263D7A4/ref=sr_...=ViewHD+4+Port
    Now I guess the question becomes one of obsolescence: are there or will there be any later versions supporting 4K & HDMI 2.0 ? I'm seeing some other units on the market, but not any ViewHD ones like this, or which seem to offer the HDCP removal.]
    Last edited by Seeker47; 22nd Sep 2017 at 15:59.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I'm going to partially and belatedly answer my own post #15 above: I'm almost certain that there was a 4-port version of the same oft-recommended ViewHD HDMI multiplexer / CP stripper. I may even have bought one -- will have to look around, as all I'm finding at the moment is the 2-port model and the one that converts to Component. Assuming that's correct, I'll check to see if their 4-port model is still being sold.

[EDIT: apparently so https://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered-Splitter-Certified-Outputs/dp/B00263D7A4/ref=sr_...=ViewHD+4+Port
    Now I guess the question becomes one of obsolescence: are there or will there be any later versions supporting 4K & HDMI 2.0 ? I'm seeing some other units on the market, but not any ViewHD ones like this, or which seem to offer the HDCP removal.]
    The ViewHD VHD-0104M is a 4-way splitter, and user comments indicate it strips HDCP. I don't recall seeing any HDMI switches that strip HDCP. Which do you need, a switch (two or more HDMI-in, one HDMI out) or a splitter (one HDMI in, two or more HDMI-out)?

I would forget about future-proofing for now. TVs with HDMI 2.1 and dynamic HDR support are rumored to be coming out next year.

Inexpensive devices able to strip HDCP 2.2 from an HDMI 2.0a source are rarer than those which strip HDCP 1.x. This is supposed to work for video at 30fps or lower.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

The ViewHD VHD-0104M is a 4-way splitter, and user comments indicate it strips HDCP. I don't recall seeing any HDMI switches that strip HDCP. Which do you need, a switch (two or more HDMI-in, one HDMI out) or a splitter (one HDMI in, two or more HDMI-out)?

I would forget about future-proofing for now. TVs with HDMI 2.1 and dynamic HDR support are rumored to be coming out next year.

Inexpensive devices able to strip HDCP 2.2 from an HDMI 2.0a source are rarer than those which strip HDCP 1.x. This is supposed to work for video at 30fps or lower.
    Splitters. So far, there has mainly been one annoying, spurious DirecTV "error message" about inadequate type of cables (S-Video, the best input option for my PIO DVDRs) that I've had to deal with, and may want to game via changes to my equipment chains. That would be a somewhat cumbersome change, involving an additional piece like the Leunking HDMI --> S-Video box, which I have avoided to this point. If the "error" message pops up just before or just after a recording (typical), it's no big deal, because that will be edited out anyway. Occasionally it can pop up in the middle of a movie though, and that's unacceptable.

I tend to collect gizmos that look like they may be of some use, sooner or later. (I'm looking at a Cable Electronics Lab HA2-3 HDMI Splitter I found the other day while looking for something else, but have no recollection of buying it ! Probably read about it sometime on a VH thread, with a link.) I'm glad I got a Zorilla filter while they were still being sold. You never know when one of these things might come in handy. And none of them are really stressing the bank. I hope manufacturers who are not in thrall to Big Content will keep making items like this, so long as they actually work. The public's only options should not be of the more pricey HD Fury variety.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I can't speak to their respective merits or lack thereof, but -- apart from the Revesun unit you linked -- here is a list of related devices that Amazon just sent my way, based on my recent browsing history. I'm copying it in here just for the record, in case there are any worthy discoveries among them which may have gone unnoticed previously. In that event, we should probably flag them as such.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=198T9YN67XO85&K=1I8MI6YAPG6XK&M=urn:rtn:msg:2017092...090_em_1p_2_ti

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=198T9YN67XO85&K=1I8MI6YAPG6XK&M=urn:rtn:msg:2017092...090_em_1p_2_ti

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=198T9YN67XO85&K=1I8MI6YAPG6XK&M=urn:rtn:msg:2017092...090_em_1p_3_ti

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=198T9YN67XO85&K=1I8MI6YAPG6XK&M=urn:rtn:msg:2017092...090_em_1p_4_ti

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=198T9YN67XO85&K=1I8MI6YAPG6XK&M=urn:rtn:msg:2017092...090_em_1p_5_ti

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=198T9YN67XO85&K=1I8MI6YAPG6XK&M=urn:rtn:msg:2017092...090_em_1p_7_ti

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=198T9YN67XO85&K=1I8MI6YAPG6XK&M=urn:rtn:msg:2017092...090_em_1p_8_ti

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=198T9YN67XO85&K=1I8MI6YAPG6XK&M=urn:rtn:msg:2017092...090_em_1p_9_ti

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=198T9YN67XO85&K=1I8MI6YAPG6XK&M=urn:rtn:msg:2017092...90_em_1p_10_ti

&

https://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=198T9YN67XO85&K=1I8MI6YAPG6XK&M=urn:rtn:msg:2017092...090_em_1p_6_ti

the last of these being one model of the HD Fury. I had been under the impression that these were not legally being sold in the U.S. (at least not a full, un-hobbled version of it), much less by a major domestic company. But, that status may be out of date ?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

the last of these being one model of the HD Fury. I had been under the impression that these were not legally being sold in the U.S. (at least not a full, un-hobbled version of it), much less by a major domestic company. But, that status may be out of date ?
    Amazon isn't the seller. Amazon only acts as an intermediary. The seller, Foxchip-fr., based in France, handles order fulfillment and shipping. BTW Monoprice sells it for less.

HDFury is allowed to sell it only because it doesn't actually strip HDCP unless unofficial firmware is installed. Using the official firmware, it can allow an HDCP 2.2 source to be connected to an older UHD TV with HDCP 1.4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Amazon isn't the seller. Amazon only acts as an intermediary. The seller, Foxchip-fr., based in France, handles order fulfillment and shipping. BTW Monoprice sells it for less.

HDFury is allowed to sell it only because it doesn't actually strip HDCP unless unofficial firmware is installed. Using the official firmware, it can allow an HDCP 2.2 source to be connected to an older UHD TV with HDCP 1.4.
    I had been looking for some up-to-date info on exactly what the HD Fury (probably the model 3) -- as sold in the U.S. by firms like Monoprice -- can and cannot do. (Monoprice may have reduced the price recently, which could be an indicator in its own right . . . . ). I looked through several threads here, and posts by you, Cornucopia, and Cauptain seemed to be the reliable entries, as opposed to certain others. A reply to this older post looked to be a logical place. If it comes down to alternative, unofficial firmware to realize the full benefits, I would welcome download links . . . which can be via PM. (My working assumption is that the device is flashable.)

Actually, I have their specifications, so maybe just focus on the "But don't expect it to _____." And fortunately (?), I still have plasma panel TVs at the end of the chain, so the later version HDCP could be irrelevant ?
    Last edited by Seeker47; 10th Jan 2020 at 19:17.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM

I had been looking for some up-to-date info on exactly what the HD Fury (probably the model 3) -- as sold in the U.S. by firms like Monoprice -- can and cannot do. (Monoprice may have reduced the price recently, which could be an indicator in its own right . . . . ). I looked through several threads here, and posts by you, Cornucopia, and Cauptain seemed to be the reliable entries, as opposed to certain others. A reply to this older post looked to be a logical place. If it comes down to alternative, unofficial firmware to realize the full benefits, I would welcome download links . . . which can be via PM. (My working assumption is that the device is flashable.)

Actually, I have their specifications, so maybe just focus on the "But don't expect it to _____." And fortunately (?), I still have plasma panel TVs at the end of the chain, so the later version HDCP could be irrelevant ?
    I lost interest in following the online chatter about HDFury products some time ago, so I'm unable to provide any links to unofficial firmware for any of them that enables stripping HDCP.
    Quote Quote