VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    (I had not previously associated the LG name with being in the forefront of much of anything.)
    Samsung and LG are the leaders in TV technology now. Sony's new OLED TVs are supposed to be very good according to reports from CES 2017, but Sony is buying their OLED panels from LG now. Samsung is working on better QLED (quantum dot LED) panels instead of trying to improve its OLED process.

LG is the only company so far that has a manufacturing process for its OLED panels which produces a sufficient number without defects to be profitable. The manufacturing process for the other types of OLED panels that Sony and Samsung developed themselves yielded too many defective panels.

LG's 2017 OLED TVs are indeed an improvement over their 2016 OLED TVs, particularly with respect to HDR, but the price for the new OLED models that are in the stores now is outrageous. The least expensive is $3500, and the most expensive set is $8000. LG also has a new line of UHD LED TVs using its new Nano Cell technology to compete with Samsung's 2017 UHD QLED models.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Mar 2017 at 15:45. Reason: Removed quantum dot backlighting. The LG's technology is called "Nano Cell".
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that update, and filling in the blanks.

(LG also makes refrigerators, washing machines, etc. Most of which I had passed on, when making comparisons and purchase decisions. But it is interesting to see how they've advanced with the TVs -- price considerations aside.)
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  3. whsmb said:

"3D in TV is really inconvenient for most users. 3D VR headsets are coming to our slights"

But I ask...Do you really think those 3D VR Headsets are more convenient?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wshmb View Post
    Now, VR is becoming more and more popular, I buy some VR headsets to watch 3D movies, the experience is amazing, you can try to wear the VR headset or glass to watch 3D movie. I meet some video format problem which effect to watch 3D movie on VR smoothly, you can search some ways online, you must know your VR spec, then choose the right phones to watch. Hope to help you if one day you buy the VR headset to watch 3D movie.
    Originally Posted by wshmb View Post
    Yes, you are right, now 4K TV is becoming more and more popular which has replaced the 3D TV role, 3D TV is reducing from the market, also watch 3D in TV is really inconvenient for most users. 3D VR headsets are coming to our slights which takes full use of advanced 3D technology. Also user have multiple 3D VR headsets options, like: HTC Vive, Sony PlayStation VR, Oculus Rift, Windows 10 VR (coming soon) and so on.
    Two posts in this thread saying almost the same thing?

Using VR doesn't seem particularly convenient or inexpensive for a nice system. (Cheap cardboard headgear and a cheap smartphone won't satisfy most adults who are used to watching a nice 3D TV.) ...and what are the chances that no users will be troubled by headaches and other sorts of physical discomfort after using VR for a long period of time. What about consumers who wear glasses, especially those over 50? How well is VR going to work for that group.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. VR headsets will progress then something else etc., hard to deny it, but what makes me to think of is that this is the first step to cut yourself off the real World, a person becomes really vulnerable to the surroundings, in any sense you can think of.
    I just see the kids (or whomever) completely without any response to have those things on with headphones as well. So far sense of smell is not disturbed, so hopefully not many will burn alive while having those gears on. I feel like if you put that sort of full gear on, you have to be supervised in some sort, simply you become more vulnerable. Its a completely new beast coming up.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Well, you've probably seen one of those videos of someone tumbling into a fountain in a mall or somewhere else, due to walking while being completely fixated on their phones. (Texting, Pokemon Go, or whatever.) Some have probably gotten killed by now, doing that on urban streets. It would be an extension of that, only more so. (Perhaps this is also partly a weeding out process -- a culling of less intelligent members of the herd ?)

In that regard, I'm glad to not be of a generation that seems to be more interested in or susceptible to these trivial diversions.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i like 3D movies on my S4 using a VR headset holder

ONLY in the safety of my easy chair, would not dare walk around the house, much less out side

I don't do 'enhanced reality' , strictly a 3d movie while sitting down
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Well, you've probably seen one of those videos of someone tumbling into a fountain in a mall or somewhere else, due to walking while being completely fixated on their phones. (Texting, Pokemon Go, or whatever.) Some have probably gotten killed by now, doing that on urban streets. It would be an extension of that, only more so. (Perhaps this is also partly a weeding out process -- a culling of less intelligent members of the herd ?)

In that regard, I'm glad to not be of a generation that seems to be more interested in or susceptible to these trivial diversions.
    Wait when they start wearing those glasses while driving.
    Quote Quote