VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I told everyone I knew when it came out it was just a fad that would not catch on and would die quickly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Dude, it hasn't been "quickly" (3D movies started coming back in '05 with Polar Express, so it's been 11+ years, not the 1 or 2 year flashes of the past), and it hasn't died either. It is just mutating to a new phase.

You do realize, don't you, that the VR stuff that is all the rage right now with games & phones is just another form-factor of stereo3D (look up "stereopticon" if you don't believe me).

Which is why I fully intend to continue creating S3D material and devising S3D methods & equipment.
    It'll just be a little harder to display to small audiences for a while (since personal forms and mass cinema forms are still active, even if medium format tv is not). Shame some of you cannot see the forest (benefit) for the trees, but you don't know what you don't know, and like every newer form of expression it is always an uphill battle WRT attitudes.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 19th Jan 2017 at 22:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shark Boy and Lava Girl came out in Red/Cyan Anaglyph 3D in 2005. I bought it for my youngest but have no idea if she kept the DVD. I'll ask her if she has it at her home.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah, it seems to be dead alright. I guess I'm one of the few (along with Scott) who think it's regrettable.

Scott is right about some things not being reproducible in 2D: particulates, rain, size /distance, etc.

Many who have only seen RealD in theaters found it underwhelming. In that form, so do I. The showings I've seen were dim and the 3D effect minimal.
    While it didn't make me nauseous, there's that too, my wife being one of those susceptible.

Then there's the shutter type Active 3D home sets. While I only ever experienced that in a showroom, I found it to be very dim and detected flicker.

On the other hand, viewing 3D at home on a large Passive set (mine is a 65" LG) is a good deal better, IMO. The effect is good, and dimness is not an issue, particularly in a darkened home theater. Sadly, my wife is still not impressed, though she admits it's far better than in theater. And apparently, she is not alone.

I have over a dozen 3D Blu-Rays from Avatar to Prometheus. Maybe they'll be collectors' items someday.

Yeah, it's dead.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh yeah, forgot to say; When we still had cable a few years ago, I checked out all the 3D offerings in the free On Demand section. Actually, I captured most of them, 31 in all, a mix of side by side and top bottom.

All pretty crummy.

Except for one: a performance of The Nutcracker by the Mariinsky Ballet (formerly Kirov for those of you who remember the old Soviet Union), ha.
    It's really terrific, despite the resolution loss of side by side 3D over cable. 3D effect is quite good. Now why do you think that was? Good lighting, stationary cameras and upstage /downstage separation, I suppose?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by MJPollard View Post
    The tiny handful of examples of films that make good use of 3D (such as Avatar)
    Making its 3D-Bluray a temporary exclusive title for a certain brand of 3D-TVs, from 2010 to until late 2012, certainly didn't help either.
    I'm rather glad that move backfired hard.
    Last edited by Hurda; 20th Jan 2017 at 06:17.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just one thing to also keep in mind with many 3D films of today--a good chunk of them are all 2D conversions rather than actually being truly shot/created in the format, this also helps explain why many of them are a bit lackluster

Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Oh yeah, forgot to say; When we still had cable a few years ago, I checked out all the 3D offerings in the free On Demand section. Actually, I captured most of them, 31 in all, a mix of side by side and top bottom.

All pretty crummy.

Except for one: a performance of The Nutcracker by the Mariinsky Ballet (formerly Kirov for those of you who remember the old Soviet Union), ha.
    It's really terrific, despite the resolution loss of side by side 3D over cable. 3D effect is quite good. Now why do you think that was? Good lighting, stationary cameras and upstage /downstage separation, I suppose?
    Probably because that performance was recorded using real 3D cameras, not a 2D conversion
    Last edited by mazinz; 20th Jan 2017 at 07:03. Reason: d
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many movies released in 3D in recent years are done post production. Most of them produce a fair to good depth perception especially in well lit scenes but many only have a few scenes that sprinkle-out or pop-out from the screen ie..rain, fireworks, explosions, objects floating in air.... Dark scenes are worsened with 3D because of the glasses so some movies don't lend themselves to 3D. Studios produce them anyway to make extra bucks but it's a process they should use selectively. The generally less than ideal production quality probably affected adoption and that's why TV makers don't see the benefit.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  9. No doubt, we are 3D visual creatures, it will re-surface in another form of technology, where whenever person looks , it will be focused (or too close or far away) and rest gets out of focus, depth of field is accurate, then that technology is 100% ready for anyone I guess. In the meantime, from business point of view, peoples curiosity and hunger for new experience, there will be new products. I would not take it personally if someone says 3DTV is dead. This means for now and in this and this scenario.

VR helmets and such (boxes with phone) will throw us even more into isolation, in a sense World around us gets cut off, (visual sense of real World is gone). Complete extreme for this depicted Matrix scenes, remember ZION was defended from VR (all in white clothes if I remember), but completely vulnerable in real World, so they were working but someone had to protect them in another VR (real one?) as well. And as Musk says, what level of reality are we submerged anyway, are we sure we are on the top?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    No doubt, we are 3D visual creatures, it will re-surface in another form of technology, where whenever person looks , it will be focused (or too close or far away) and rest gets out of focus, depth of field is accurate, then that technology is 100% ready for anyone I guess. In the meantime, from business point of view, peoples curiosity and hunger for new experience, there will be new products. I would not take it personally if someone says 3DTV is dead. This means for now and in this and this scenario.

VR helmets and such (boxes with phone) will throw us even more into isolation, in a sense World around us gets cut off, (visual sense of real World is gone). Complete extreme for this depicted Matrix scenes, remember ZION was defended from VR (all in white clothes if I remember), but completely vulnerable in real World, so they were working but someone had to protect them in another VR (real one?) as well. And as Musk says, what level of reality are we submerged anyway, are we sure we are on the top?
    And this whole topic is more focused on video. The 3d world of photography has been going strong for decades with some really astounding true 3d images as well as amazing 2d conversions that can truly show how good the world of 3D can be. So much easier to work with still life than motion. At any rate do keep in mind a slew of computer 3d monitors also still exist and can still be purchased as well if you have trouble trying to find a tv with the 3d feature
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    At any rate do keep in mind a slew of computer 3d monitors also still exist and can still be purchased as well if you have trouble trying to find a tv with the 3d feature
    Passive 3D support on computer monitors is history. Technically, there are no current active 3D monitors either. NVIDIA's 3D Vision Kit (includes active 3D glasses), combined with graphics cards compatible with it, adds active 3D support to 120 Hz gaming monitors (the monitor must accept 120Hz input). If NVIDIA discontinues its 3D Vision product, that will be the end of "new" 3D monitors.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Jan 2017 at 02:52.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. I can't watch 3D-TV. I watched around 10 minutes of a demo at Best Buy once. Shortly after that I got very dizzy and felt nauseated. I would like to try VR but if it's anything like 3D I'll have to pass.
    Quote Quote  
  13. My tv is capable of 3D—came with glasses and everything. Have I ever used it? Nope. VR is the only thing I would put any stock in.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not certain if this was the best 3D I've seen, but it might be: the film "Hugo", carefully made for 3D by Scorcese, a couple years back . . . but the exhibition quality on it in theaters still varied -- not all the same. (That much I saw for myself.) A friend of mine who got to attend a lot of screenings at the Director's Guild in L.A. told me that they had the best technical rendition of just about any format that is or has been shown. Also that there are special "pro-quality" glasses which are tremendously better than any of the standard ones patrons ever get to use in public theaters. These things can make a very big difference, he tells me. Since he's a cinema "nut" who practically lives this stuff, I tend to credit what he says.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: the apparently short-lived 48 fps 3D format that Peter Jackson employed on the Hobbit series was quite interesting, although it had too much of a "video game" feel to it. (And there may be a "sea-sickness" quotient to that as well, for some viewers.) I suspect the continued commercial viability of this format is in doubt.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 25th Jan 2017 at 21:01.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 2014 LG 55" 3DTV and love watching movies in 3D. I just purchased the 3D boxset of "Star Wars The Force Awakens", and I enjoyed watching it at home in 3D even more than i did at the theater! I sold my older 47" LG 3DTV to a co-worker 2 years ago, and she LOVES watching tv shows and movies in 3D! I am very sad to hear this news, I hope that they continue to release 3D movies for a while still.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I agree with what's been said about the availability of real 3D (as opposed to 2D converted to 3D). I don't have a lot of "shot in 3D" content. A couple of movies and some documentaries, but they look great. The 3D looks "natural" and doesn't seem to require as much effort to watch as fake 3D (converted from 2D). I don't bother getting the glasses out of the cupboard for fake 3D. I'd rather watch the 2D version. Mind you I don't know if the lack of real 3D content is the reason 3D never took off in a big way. I'm happy to watch something in real 3D now and then but I'm not excited enough about it to watch 3D regularly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Mind you I don't know if the lack of real 3D content is the reason 3D never took off in a big way. I'm happy to watch something in real 3D now and then but I'm not excited enough about it to watch 3D regularly.
    Speculating here... I'm not sure that consumer apathy was due to the lack of 3D content. I think it's probably simpler than that: the average consumer just isn't going to shell out hundreds of dollars to replace a 2D TV (not to mention a non-3D Blu-ray player) that's working just fine. Joe and Jane Average simply don't replace their video equipment very often, and when they do, it's usually because their old one is broken, or new ones have "must have" features... and for them, 3D is simply not a "must have." If flat screen TVs had had 3D from the get-go, then I think it would be a much different story, and the 3D video market would be booming, but alas, that was not the case.
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  18. And there were millions who bought new TV, but not 3DTV.
    My guess is, even those buying TV's got mostly cheap 2D instead, all those cheap models in all those Targets, Costco's, Best-Buys,... instead of more expensive 3D TV models and better specs meant 3DTV , more expensive, it was not a standard feature so to speak.

Back then, I bought simple Panasonic Viera P50S60 for $500 , without anti-reflective coating, non smart TV, just simple good plasma TV panel basically. I mean I was perhaps not the only one who did not buy those closer to $1000 3DTV's , smart TV because of persistence of shop assistant , insisting that today you have to go with smart TV. All those better panel TV's were automatically 3D TV's , smart and all that crap, but there were choices that even if you were looking around could find something usable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And that's really what it comes down to at the end of the day: cost.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    And there were millions who bought new TV, but not 3DTV.
    My guess is, even those buying TV's got mostly cheap 2D instead, all those cheap models in all those Targets, Costco's, Best-Buys,... instead of more expensive 3D TV models and better specs meant 3DTV , more expensive, it was not a standard feature so to speak.

Back then, I bought simple Panasonic Viera P50S60 for $500 , without anti-reflective coating, non smart TV, just simple good plasma TV panel basically. I mean I was perhaps not the only one who did not buy those closer to $1000 3DTV's , smart TV because of persistence of shop assistant , insisting that today you have to go with smart TV. All those better panel TV's were automatically 3D TV's , smart and all that crap, but there were choices that even if you were looking around could find something usable.
    Not simply that. I'm really glad that I got good plasma while it was still available, and would not trade that for any latest & greatest OLED, 4K, 3D, smart features, or whatever ! (Nothing that I've yet seen, IAC. Cost has not been a factor.) A deliberate choice that I've had no reason to regret, thus far.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess this makes it Official:

https://www.lifewire.com/why-3d-tv-died-4126776?utm_campaign=computersl&utm_medium=ema...1814&utm_term=

The Big Takeaway: beware of passing fads. (Yes, VR with the bulky, dorky headgear -- YOU are NEXT !)

I'm still holding out for "Feelies" (from Huxley's "Brave New World", if memory serves), or at least the holo-tanks or holo-projectors, from countless sci-fi novels since then. Perhaps even within our lifetimes ?? Not dim, or otherwise limited. No special glasses required -- of course.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm with corny! there are some great 3d movies out there and i'm sad and disappointed that most tv viewers won't get to experience them. too bad for you guys with narrow mindsets. i won't be getting a new tv until they bring it back or my samsung 3d plasma explodes.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, those of us who don't care for 3D have "narrow mindsets." What does that say about people who paint an entire group with a single brush? Grow up.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    i'm with corny! there are some great 3d movies out there and i'm sad and disappointed that most tv viewers won't get to experience them. too bad for you guys with narrow mindsets. i won't be getting a new tv until they bring it back or my samsung 3d plasma explodes.
    Please don't misjudge what I said. I have liked some 3D -- in theaters, when it really added something and was not just a gimmick to jack higher ticket prices -- but have yet to be convinced as regards existing tech for 3D via tv for home use. I'm open to being convinced though, just haven't experienced it so far. But then I was completely unaware there ever was a plasma-based 3D, so that in itself is something of a revelation. I do hope that my Panasonic plasma sets soldier on for a long time, because LED tech just doesn't do it for me. Particularly not for movies.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    3D is possible with OLED too. LG produced a couple of passive 3D 4k OLED TVs last year, the OLED55E6P and OLED65E6P.

I'm not a 3D TV hater, BTW. I simply cannot justify spending the kind of money it costs to have 3D or easily find room for a large TV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Feb 2017 at 16:20.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by wshmb View Post
    VR
    That'll go the same way as 3D TV.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by wshmb View Post
    VR
    That'll go the same way as 3D TV.
    I have never tried a VR headset, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that users experience some discomfort after wearing them for a long period of time. For one thing they have to be much heaver than glasses.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Not simply that. I'm really glad that I got good plasma while it was still available, and would not trade that for any latest & greatest OLED, 4K, 3D, smart features, or whatever ! (Nothing that I've yet seen, IAC. Cost has not been a factor.) A deliberate choice that I've had no reason to regret, thus far.
    I own a 4K OLED 65E6P, Plasma doesn't even come close to the black level of the OLED panels, Let alone resolution and HDR, OLED is a jaw dropping. I think the reason 3D is going away because customers had enough from passive 3D problems, Manufacturers dropped the ball on active 3D because 3D glasses are not cheap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    I own a 4K OLED 65E6P, Plasma doesn't even come close to the black level of the OLED panels, Let alone resolution and HDR, OLED is a jaw dropping. I think the reason 3D is going away because customers had enough from passive 3D problems, Manufacturers dropped the ball on active 3D because 3D glasses are not cheap.
    I had seen a bunch of 4K sets -- though not all that recently -- and quite frankly was not terribly impressed. Then, a week or two ago, I saw some of the latest OLED 4K on display at Fry's. Primarily a featured (65 " ?) one from LG. The sales rep (who might or might not have known what he was talking about) said that LG had some kind of patent on making them, and that a couple of other manufacturers -- Sony in particular -- were now scrambling to manufacture their own panels like this. Anyway, this LG was pretty impressive, I have to say, and was the first one I can recall seeing that really seemed to have resolved the black level issue. Of course, it was playing a canned demo on a loop, which is probably not the ultimate sort of test. But I now have a more open mind on this subject. (I had not previously associated the LG name with being in the forefront of much of anything.)
    Quote Quote  
  30. MadisonWelch
    Search PM
    Thank you for sharing the good news
    Quote Quote