VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi,

I'm trying to capture video from my old VHS tapes to digital format. I've restored my old VCR and everything runs smoothly, but only when the receiver is connected to the TV set.
    When the VCR is connected with the computer (using the very same cable) - the picture jumps (I can't find a proper adjective to describe it). This is how it looks exactly:
    https://youtu.be/HpHB77lgqME?t=5
    On the tv set, the very same image is perfectly stable.
    I use a very popular device - called EasyCap, and what's interesting - when I hook up my blu-ray player to it, a similar effect doesn't occur.
    What may be causing it? The vcr seems to be fully functional - it works well with the TV set. The EasyCap on the other hand - works well with blu-ray player.
    I've been testing all devices on different cables - from cheap to quite expensive - no influence whatsoever.
    And one more observation. On the stop screen (or when I rewind the tape) - the picture is displaced - this is it:
    https://youtu.be/HpHB77lgqME?t=18

I hope anyone has some idea... because I can't comprehend it and feel helpless...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look up the term 'Time Base Corrector' or TBC (for short)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, I've heard about it. Quite expensive device
    But what's odd - is that on TV set it works perfect. Does it mean that the TV has built-in TBC?
    And why do I see shifted/displaced image when the VCR shows the system screen? See the attachment.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2017-01-17-21h54m01s414.png
Views:	1539
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	40332  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These issues only come relevant during an analog to digital conversion ie capture.

Others can explain the whole issue much better than I can. A tv has circuitry to handle these just as it can display a macrovision protected tape which can not be captured without addition equipment.

Sorry. Can not answer the question about the tv screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Try this: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Stabilizer/dp/B000OITAPE

I haven't tried it, but supposedly it eliminates the jittering related to VHS-to-digital conversion. And it's a lot cheaper than a full-blown time base corrector.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That appears to a Macrovision stabalizer device. May not help his problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Those results are terrible. My brother bought a $10 generic garbage EZcap knockoff from Amazon, has it connected to a half-dead malfunctioning VCR, is dubbing fourth-generation bootleg concert videos to an old Windows Vista laptop, and still gets better results than that hopelessly unstable clip you linked. Something is seriously wrong with your tape, your VCR, your EZcap, or perhaps all three.

The stabilizer box awgie suggested only cures such problems if they are caused by the MV protection signals often found on Hollywood commercial tapes. Is that the kind of tape giving you problems? If yes, the stabilizer could repair some of these symptoms, otherwise it won't do much of anything.

If this is a personal tape recorded off-air or with a camcorder, you'll need to try a different EZcap device and/or VCR to narrow down the problem. The same results from a different VCR and capture device would suggest the tape itself is faulty, and you will only be able to fix the tearing (maybe) by passing the signal thru a good TBC or dvd recorder (dvd recorders often fix this better than the typical AVT-8710 type of TBC). OTOH, if changing the VCR or EZcap makes the issue go away, your problem was one of those devices. Check the settings in the VCR on-screen menus: if there is any sort of "stabilizer" circuit turned on (as with many JVC vcrs), try turning it off (the vcr stabilizer feature sometimes backfires, causing exactly these symptoms).

The split screen VCR display is unusual but not unheard of. Some video encoders get confused by static VCR overlays and don't know how to process them. Can't tell if the two problems are related to a defective EZcap unless you try a different capture device.
    Last edited by orsetto; 17th Jan 2017 at 21:23.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Television receiver circuitry is designed to follow the imperfect sync that may result from a compromised radio signal. The task of analog-to-digital conversion is far more exacting and converters vary, by design, in their ability to follow wonky video. Magnetic tape is ultimately a mechanical medium that's dependent on motors running at extremely precise speeds. When those motors aren't so precise, such as in low-cost consumer decks, then you get an imprecise video signal that may lie outside a particular converter's ability to regularize it. VCR character generators are even worse because they use "tricks" that fool a TV but drive many converters crazy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Poland is PAL?
    A tape that looks great on a TV but fails to capture is usually an NTSC tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    The stabilizer box awgie suggested only cures such problems if they are caused by the MV protection signals often found on Hollywood commercial tapes. Is that the kind of tape giving you problems? If yes, the stabilizer could repair some of these symptoms, otherwise it won't do much of anything.
    Well, like I said, I hadn't tried it. But several of the reviews said that it eliminated shaking and jittering in their videos, so that's why I mentioned it.

And you may be onto something in suggesting to look for - and disable - any internal "stabilizer" on the VCR. It could actually be working against you. Kinda makes me think of what Scotty once said... "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    Well, like I said, I hadn't tried it. But several of the reviews said that it eliminated shaking and jittering in their videos, so that's why I mentioned it.
    FWIW, I wasn't disagreeing with you: that stabilizer would actually cure some of OP's tearing issues if they were due to MV on a commercial tape. In fact, I've been looking for a link to just such a device to recommend to the sudden influx we've been getting here on VH of newbies wanting to digitize their old commercial tapes. It is quite a bit cheaper than full-spectrum stabilizers like The Grex, which are overkill if one only needs VHS decryption. For years, I recommended a near-identical stabilizer sold by MCM Electronics, but they stopped selling it in 2014, so your Amazon link may come in handy for some people.

But potential buyers should be aware the vague marketing-speak they use to promote these $20-$30 boxes as curing "shaking and jittering" ONLY applies to the shaking and jittering intentionally caused by MV protection found on (some) commercial tapes. The type of stabilizing circuit contained in these devices is very narrowly targeted at curing MV-related defects: it cannot do anything for the jittering, shaking or tearing inherent in badly-recorded or deteriorating personal tapes. For that, you need a VCR with healing circuits, or an external TBC, or a dvd recorder pass-thru connection. Some extremely poor tapes might be unsalvageable.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    The problem is solved. If you struggle with similar problems - my advice is, just buy the original ezcap version from amazon. It works perfect. The picture is 100% stable, no jitter or shaking. Fortunately, my consumer-level VCR is good enough and TBC was not required Please don't waste your time on tweaking cheap, fake products from China
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by incanto View Post
    cheap, fake products from China
    Wish we would have known that before. Your original post made it look like you already had the genuine article. If I had realized you had a cheap knockoff, my first suggestion would have been replacing it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    I use a very popular device - called EasyCap, and what's interesting - when I hook up my blu-ray player to it, a similar effect doesn't occur.
    Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    cheap, fake products from China
    Wish we would have known that before. Your original post made it look like you already had the genuine article. If I had realized you had a cheap knockoff, my first suggestion would have been replacing it.
    EasyCap is a copy for sure. EZCap is the original — maybe, if you buy it from the right place.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi Incanto,

I have EXACTLY the same problem than your and thank you very much to came back and share the solution.
    Could you please give the link of the "original ezcap version from amazon" you bought ? Because there are so much that I'm not sure which one to choose and I don't want to buy ten of them before finding the good one.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Stanfield05 View Post
    Hi Incanto,

I have EXACTLY the same problem than your and thank you very much to came back and share the solution.
    Could you please give the link of the "original ezcap version from amazon" you bought ? Because there are so much that I'm not sure which one to choose and I don't want to buy ten of them before finding the good one.

Thanks in advance
    Hi!
    I was buying it from british Amazon and the seller company is called "EzCAP-TV". When you enter "ezcap", the first search result is what you're looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i have easy cap and i use free webcam recorder to capture video. But i have problem with image, it tremble and i dont like the lines on image.
    I have tired to change system to pal, ntsc, resolution to 720p, to 240 but it still tremble.
    there is video without tape: https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43123&stc=1&d=1505504937
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. Can somebody kindly name the "ezcap" device that has been mentioned here?
    A link, image, model number, or the device name please.

I'm also having the same problem, video jumping only when connected to PC.
    Have searched "ezcap" on amazon and http://www.ezcap.tv/ but have no idea which is the correct device.
    Last edited by dan1st; 30th Oct 2017 at 07:48.
    Quote Quote  
  19. This is the video capture device from the ezcap.tv site : http://www.ezcap.tv/usb-video-capture/ezcap116-capture-card

I've found it to be very good - although results do depend on the quality of the source (obvisusly!)

You may need to experiment with some sort of TBC (time base corrector) and/or alternative capture software to get the best from the device.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The genuine device is EzCAP and the address on the box is szforwardvideo.com.I bought it many years ago,before the pirates wrecked it's reputation and it has worked flawlessly.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks guys.
    Now to try and get it shipped to Asia.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anybody know what chipset is used in EZCap?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Pinto007 View Post
    Does anybody know what chipset is used in EZCap?
    My EZCap 116 uses the Empia 2861 chipset
    Quote Quote