VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How to hardcode subs to an input MKV/H.264 file, with the same container and the codec on the output? Subs with semi-transparent opacity box as in the pic down below. Any tools that can do it? It's no problem in VDub using TextSub 2.23, looks great, been using it for years. But how to get the same result with MKV container/H.264 as the output? Other than first reencoding it to AVI in VDub, how to avoid that step? Is it possible?

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	40327
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use an .ass subtitle with a opaque box with transparency.

You can hardcode withy Handbrake if you mux the subtite into the source file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks vb. Since I have never dealt with .ass subs... how to prepair them to have the desired box look ready for the Handbrake? Is there any subs software tool with options to set to be written in the .ass file itself? Pardon my ignorance.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You could import a .srt in Subtitle Edit and change the format to.ass. Edit the Style to use an opaque box and select it's color (use Outline color.)

Or A.egisub
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great, Subtitle Edit does the job, thank you very much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I used to use Subtitle Edit a lot, because I could import and OCR subs right from a DVD.

But I prefer using Aegisub and .ASS subs if I'm doing any formatting, such as screen position, or as in your case, an opaque box. I had never used it until just a few months ago, but I prefer it so much now that even if I'm taking subs from a DVD, I'll import them using Subtitle Edit (because Aegisub won't do that part), and then I'll save them as an .ASS file, and do all of my editing in Aegisub.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote