VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone. I'm going to downgrade from windows 10 windows 7 soon and while I was going through my software I realized that I have a lot of codecs/filers and programs installed for certain formats. I was wondering if any of these are needed nowadays:

CoreCodec CoreAVC 3.0.1.0 Professional Edition
    DivX 10.4 Plus
    Microsoft Silverlight 5
    Microsoft DirectX 9.0c
    AC3Filter 2.6.0b
    Matroska Splitter
    Xvid 1.3.4
    ffdshow 1.3.4532
    x264vfw Codec
    x265vfw Codec
    VP8 Codec 1.2.0
    Java 8.0.101

I know some players have built-in filter, but I now realize I have too many of those installed as well:

Cyberlink powerdvd
    VLC Media Player
    divx player
    RealPlayer 16 Plus
    SMPlayer 16.6.0 (main one I use)
    Media Player Classic BE
    iTunes 12.5.3.17
    AVS media player

This really seems like overkill to me at this point. Is there a certain program that i need to use for modern formats/Codecs or should I keep all of this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Java 8.0.101
    Xvid 1.3.4
    Avisynth 2.6

MPC-HC

These are all the codecs and media player I'm using and i can play all the media files and encode them.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Someone is going to have to explain to me how exactly Java is a codec.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Java is not a codec. It's just a program that I sometimes need to view things in webpages. I just included it to see if it was needed at all.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Java 8.0.101
    Xvid 1.3.4
    Avisynth 2.6

MPC-HC

These are all the codecs and media player I'm using and i can play all the media files and encode them.

Dang that's all I need?
    What is the difference between MPC-HC and MPC-BE?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It has some other features,i tried it but didn't play my midi files in hardware mode.Java is also used for other features in programs,such as multiavchd it's used for picture generation.
    Quote Quote  
  7. How is anyone supposed to know what codecs you need if you don't specify what you do with your computer? Do you just watch videos online and/or that you download? Do you do a lot of encoding on your own? Do you edit a lot of videos? Do you need advanced filtering to clean up videos?
    Quote Quote  
  8. ^ this.

Just install the player of your choice and try to make do with the inbuilt decoders. Only install additional packages when the need arises (and then try modern ones like LAV Filters first, not outdated stuff like DivX, CoreAVC, Haali, ffdshow...)
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Op has CoreCodec CoreAVC 3.0.1.0 Professional Edition so he doesn't need lav filters,what i said in first post is all he needs.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    How is anyone supposed to know what codecs you need if you don't specify what you do with your computer? Do you just watch videos online and/or that you download? Do you do a lot of encoding on your own? Do you edit a lot of videos? Do you need advanced filtering to clean up videos?
    ............um...........yeah............most of that LOL. Just asked cause most of the videos I download now are mp4 files and I never run into videos of other formats or that require other codecs. I only edit some downloaded videos (aspect ratio issues) or concert videos that I capture from VHS Tapes. I usually try to use mp4 format because I can use Nvidia NVENC which runs really fast on my system. I don't want stuff on my pc that I never use.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Op has CoreCodec CoreAVC 3.0.1.0 Professional Edition so he doesn't need lav filters,what i said in first post is all he needs.
    Just because you bought a software doesn't mean you have to install it. CoreAVC is dead and MPC-HC/LAV play AVC and much more just fine on their own.

Also I don't know how you know what OP needs.
    Quote Quote  
  12. First Try apps like potplayer, vlc, gomplayer or mpc.. don't install codecs yet
    play your videos... If they play, you're fine.. stop there

If you run into playback you might consider install a codec pack like k-lite codec
    which can substite all the codecs you mentioned above...
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Don't install k-lite ever,just the codec need for encoding,most players have built in codecs.
    Quote Quote