VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I am having issues when importing miniDV videos into Windows Movie Maker. After I import and play the AVI file, the artifacts in the attached file are appearing in the video. My camera is a Sharp VL-NZ105 miniDV recorder. I have done the following to help troubleshoot the problem:

1. Artifacts don't appear on the Sharp's LCD screen during playback
    2. They don't appear on WMM preview screen while importing the video
    3. They don't appear on my TV when I connect via standard audio (red & white) and video (yellow) cable
    4. I replaced my Firewire cable (no improvement)
    5. I have tried several of the available 1394 OHCI drivers I have available, including the legacy driver - no change

Any suggestions on what might be going on? I am stuck and trying to convert a bunch of these tapes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DV Artifacts Movie Maker.JPG
Views:	1029
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	40315  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    It looks like either your DV file lacks error concealment data or your decoder is ignoring it. Here is an app that will analyze your file and tell you about it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    It looks like either your DV file lacks error concealment data or your decoder is ignoring it. Here is an app that will analyze your file and tell you about it.
    Thanks. I ran DV Analyzer. Below I copied summary of the output. I am not sure what to do next:

DV Analyzer v.1.4.0 by AudioVisual Preservation Solutions, Inc. http://www.avpreserve.com

C:\Users\Wayne\Desktop\No-Backup Zone\Imported Videos\2007-02-24 - 2057-12-25 Family Videos\2008-12-11 18.39.12 Family Videos.avi

Frame Count: 4571

Frame count with video error concealment: 2324 frames
    Total video error concealment: 6868 errors ( 436 "1" errors, 296 "2" errors, 353 "3" errors, 278 "4" errors, 276 "5" errors, 249 "6" errors, 442 "7" errors, 709 "8" errors, 346 "9" errors, 1221 "A" errors, 320 "B" errors, 241 "C" errors, 261 "D" errors, 311 "E" errors, 1129 "F" errors)
    Frame count with DV timecode incoherency: 31 frames
    Frame count with DIF incoherency: 1 frames
    Frame count with Arbitrary bit inconsistency: 1371 frames
    Percent of frames with Error: 51.28%
    Percent of frames with Error (including Arbitrary bit inconsistency): 51.54%
    Percent of frames with Video Error Concealment: 50.84%
    Percent of frames with Timecode Incoherency: 0.68%
    Percent of frames with DIF Incoherency: 0.02%
    Percent of frames with Arbitrary bit inconsistency: 29.99%

Warning, frame count is maybe incoherant (reported by MediaInfo: 3646)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    So it appears your file has error concealment data. Try a different player, like VLC and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried playing the files with VLC but no difference, the artifacts are still there. I noticed in Windows Explorer that if I make the icons "Extra Large", I can see the artifacts in the icon as well. Could it be the CODEC that is messing it up?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DV Artifacts Windows Explorer.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	40318
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    VLC has its own codecs, so the fault is with the file. Perhaps the concealment data, as transferred, is erroneous. You are absolutely certain you saw none of this during the transfer?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I watched the preview playback and those colored, block-like renderings are not present. Nor when I connect directly to the TV. There are times the file playback is not 100% perfect during preview where I might see some "shifting" around of the video, but most of the time it is excellent.

VLC can't capture video from a miniDV player, correct?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is an example of a side-by-side of the video playback on the left with Windows Media Player (same results with VLC) and real time capture taking place on the right via WinDV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Side by Side.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	40323
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    I guess the next step is to try a different capture application. How about WinDV?
    Quote Quote