VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm getting video dropouts when playing Hi8/Video8 recordings on my Digital8 camcorder, DCR-TRV740 but the same tapes play fine on my Hi8 camcorder, CCD-TRV65. Is this problem inherent in all Digital8 camcorders?

My Digital8 camcorder plays Digital8 recordings fine.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    The Hi8 camera may have dropout compensation that hides the errors. Or Digital8 cam could be a bit out of alignment in a way that manifests with the Hi8 tape.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So out of alignment usually means something is wrong with the tape transport or with the video drum?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    The tape guides, which are part of the transport. The azimuth setting for 8 mm tapes is very picky.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wish it was as easy as adjusting the azimuth on a cassette tape player. I actually never heard of test tapes for video or azimuth knob that can be adjusted on vcrs.
    Last edited by digicube; 11th Jan 2017 at 14:57.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    It's not a knob, but a height adjustment via screw mount on the drum entrance and exit tape guides. Wizardly techs can tweak these to play recordings that were made out of standard alignment. But I still think your problem is that the D8 camera doesn't have analog dropout compensation.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you are right, then my problem will exists in all Digital8 camcorders which I should avoid from now on.
    Quote Quote