VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some video files. Their resolution is 640x360 pixels. I want to play them back on a desktop PC monitor, in window mode instead of full screen mode, in order to avoid interpolation. The problem is that at 640x360 the image is too small. One solution to enlarge the image without interpolation, would be to display each pixel in the 640x360 video file, on 4 LCD monitor pixels. Is it possible to do this? Does a video player that can do this exist? Can I do this with MPC-HC? Can I do this with VLC?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use a point (aka nearest neighbor) resize filter and set it to 2x.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In MPC-HC options go "Playback">"Output". Set renderer to "Enhanced Video Renderer (custom presenter)". There you can set "Resizer" to "Nearest neighbor" like jagabo said.

It will look bad, though. I highly advise against it. There's a reason everyone uses other resizers ("interpolation", as you put it) instead of nearest neighbor.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Use better resizer... NN will be worse than bilinear IMO
    Quote Quote  
  5. In MPC-HC I use the resizer "Bicubic A=-1.00 (PS 2.0)", but 360p video still looks too blurry in full screen mode... 720p video is sufficiently large that I don't need to watch it in full screen... cause I prefer watching it in window mode without interpolation. But 360p is so small in window mode that sometimes I need to enlarge it (it's like I'm too far away from the screen, and have to get closer to see more, but I can't because I already am as close as possible).

I was looking for a solution to enlarge 640x360 to 1280x720 by displaying one pixel on four pixels, which probably would not make the video blurry.

640 * 360 = 230400
    1280 * 720 = 921600

921600 / 4 = 230400, so if there was a way to display 640x360 in a 1280x720 window, upscaling would not apply, therefore the video would not be blurry...

This would be even more useful on a HiDPi or retina lcd, on which 640x360 looks even smaller than it looks on the 89 ppi lcd I'm using now...
    Last edited by codemaster; 11th Jan 2017 at 09:53.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by codemaster View Post
    interpolation would not apply, therefore the video would not be blurry...

This would be very even more useful on a HiDPi or retina screen, on which 640x360 looks even smaller that the 89 ppi screen I'm using now...
    Use better resizer (EDI, ELA etc) - perhaps madVR can be useful.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by codemaster View Post
    I was looking for a solution to enlarge 640x360 to 1280x720 by displaying one pixel on four pixels, which probably would not make the video blurry.
    With a point resize it won't really be any sharper but it will be full of jagged buzzing edges.

If you have enough CPU power you could use an AviSynth with nnedi3 to play your videos:

Code:
    AviSource("Filename.avi")
    ConvertToYV12()
    nnedi3_rpow2(2)
    aWarpSharp(depth=10)
    Sharpen(0.3)
    Then open that script with your media player. Example (point, bicubic, nnedi3+):

[Attachment 40278 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Jan 2017 at 10:38.
    Quote Quote