VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having a problem with my recently-bought DVR, a Magnavox MDR867H. It and my TV (Samsung UN55D8000YFXZA) are connected to my receiver (Denon AVR-4810CI) with HDMI cables. Most of the time there is no problem, but occasionally I get no picture on the TV from the DVR. The DVR's display will say "hdcPno," though once it said "Eht." I can't understand why it would have an HDCP problem only occasionally. I have read about HDCP issues and I knoe that they can be complex. Have other people had this problem? Does anyone know of a simple solution? I would like to avoid adding more hardware, such as an HDMI splitter, but it sounds like that may be a possible solution.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There isn't much you can do about this aside from trying different HDMI cables to connect the PVR, trying a different receiver, or trying a splitter that minimizes HDCP interactions. The damned HDCP handshake crap often spoils the entire concept of simple wiring, because its so picayune about cables and device signaling. Magnavox HDMI subsystem can be a little dicey as well: cycling the HDMI button on the remote sometimes brings it back to life. If I were you, I'd try patching a splitter between the Magnavox and your receiver: they're cheap enough, and you should be able to hide it behind the receiver or PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Dr DC - I do not have a receiver between my MDR867H and my Samsung TV, but I am experiencing the same problem. So I don't think your receiver is the problem. I'm blaming the Magnavox. Did you solve your problem?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried turning on the different components in different orders and it seemed to work for a while, then the problem returned and it even started happening (the screen going blank and the DVR showing hdcPno on its display) while watching a recorded program. I finally installed an hdmi splitter (ViewHD model VHD-1X2MN3D) and it has worked fine ever since.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dr D.C. - Please let me prevail upon you one more time since you seem knowledgeable. I misspoke when I said I had a MDR867H. I have an MDR557H. Anyway in my HDMI settings, the choices for HDMI Format are RGB or YCbCr. Is one better than the other? I cannot see the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ba4751 View Post
    in my HDMI settings, the choices for HDMI Format are RGB or YCbCr. Is one better than the other? I cannot see the difference.
    Programming is all YCbCr. What you see on-screen is RGB. Somewhere along the line the video is converted from YCbCR to RGB, either at the source or at the TV. Different devices may perform the conversion a little differently. If you can't see a difference it doesn't matter which does the conversion. But YCbCr requires less bandwidth in the cable. So if you're having HDCP problems you may have less with YCbCr.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, ba4751, but I don't know anything about that. I looks like you got a good answer, though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have a MDR557H which also shows a black screen at seemingly random times while playing a stored video. My theory is that the hard drive space might be fragmented in some way (I have a lot stored there) and it sometimes needs time to get to the next segment. The problem often happens while it is busy recording something else in the background. I just hit the replay button on the remote and it backs up a bit and then proceeds with the video.
    Quote Quote