VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know, no more OTA analog but going back in time - assuming a new consumer VCR and a strong signal, specifically what gets lost or degraded when recording an OTA, or even cable show onto VHS? Thinking of a show with high quality production like Johnny Carson - what elements would be on the studio tapes that isn't going to be there on the home VHS copy?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Color would be better on the studio tapes than on VHS. ...and VHS faithfully records "snow" and other defects associated with analog TV.

If you are looking for better source than VHS, Antenna TV (http://antennatv.tv/) is re-running Johnny Carson over-the-air at 7 PM PST and 11 PM PST. In my area they use one of the local FOX affiliate's sub-channels, but I don't know if that is typical. Recording the broadcast stream with a TV tuner card would allow you to capture the modern digital version as is.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Inherent to VHS:
    Luma resolution is lower on VHS. Chroma resolution is much lower on VHS. VHS is much noisier than broadcast TV (unless there's a weak signal). VHS has poor time base leading to horizontal jitter. The linear audio track of VHS is very low bandwidth and low signal-to-noise ratio, leading to loss of high frequencies and delivering a noisy, muffled sound.

Common problems in consumer VHS decks:
    VHS decks usually apply automatic gain screwing up the brightness and colors. VHS decks usually apply "sharpening" filters in an attempt to make up for its inherently low resolution -- but this just creates halos at vertical edges.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Color would be better on the studio tapes than on VHS. ...and VHS faithfully records "snow" and other defects associated with analog TV.

If you are looking for better source than VHS, Antenna TV (http://antennatv.tv/) is re-running Johnny Carson over-the-air at 7 PM PST and 11 PM PST. In my area they use one of the local FOX affiliate's sub-channels, but I don't know if that is typical. Recording the broadcast stream with a TV tuner card would allow you to capture the modern digital version as is.
    It's something to look into but I've got a large collection of video that I'm looking to process.
    Quote Quote