VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How do I do it?! I currently use MakeMKV to rip the Blu Ray disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Run it through a program like VidCoder. You will get some quality loss, how much depends on your settings.
    I find VidCoder easier to use and more versatile than Handbrake. It uses the Handbrake engine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What about converting MKV to MP4 using Nero video? Is that as good?
    Quote Quote  
  5. So what would be the setting for the best possible quality in Handbrake?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Choose x264 encoder. Set "Preset" according to the encoding time you are willing to spend. "Medium" is a good start. Then set quality using "RF", "18" will give good quality (lower RF value = better quality = bigger file). Set "Profile" to "High". For BluRay you usually want to set "Framerate" to "Same as source" + "Constant Framerate". Audio tracks to "Auto-Pass Thru" to keep audio untouched.

Further info see the "technical documentation" on the HandBrake website.
    https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/latest/
    Quote Quote  
  7. What produces the best quality....encoder set to fast or encoder set to slow?
    Quote Quote  
  8. They can achieve the same quality but for a given quality fast will need more disk space.
    Quote Quote  
  9. This Handbrake is one helluva cool program. Thanks guys!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Why does it it say 'Warning' RF 0 is lossless if its set to zero?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Lossless files will be extremely huge, larger than the original BluRay even. That's why it's warning you. Sane settings are in the range of 16 to 23. Start with 18 and decide if it's good enough.
    Quote Quote