VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone.

Since about last year, during an update I've held, I've managed to mess up and thus create the problem I'll be telling about here:

I'm using WMP to watch my DVDs-all purchased-and I've been getting what I can only describe as a "certain blur around the edges of every seen object".

Having no special knowledge in the field, I can't tell whether it's a grainy picture or a problem which involves deinterlacing.

I'd appreciate every attempt of assistance, as I'm almost out of ideas for the time being.

Uploaded here is a sample picture describing the visual problem:

Click image for larger version

Name:	sample.png
Views:	289
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	40244
    Quote Quote  
  2. The aliasing (the stair-steps at the top of the girls shoulder for example) is caused by poor deinterlacing. The overall blurriness looks about normal for DVD viewed on an HD screen. You might be able to get a very slightly sharper image by changing the resizing filter used for video in the graphics driver or player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you.

Despite following your advice, I've came up with nothing.

When WMP fails, I turn to MPC which shows the movie properly. Would've settled with it, only that in full-screen mode (or complete full screen) it tends to lag and the sync gets thrown off.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Look for "Film Mode Detection" setting in the graphics drivers. Turn it on/off. See if there's any difference.

In MPC, check the output device settings, View -> Options -> Playback -> Output -> DirectShow Video. Try different output devices. Try different scaling options.

[Attachment 40248 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't seem to find the "Film Mode Detection" setting. Is there such an option on NVIDIA's control panel?
    Quote Quote