VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I only need a Sony TRV to capture a bunch of Hi8 tapes I have. My TRV520 died. Is there any difference between the TRV cameras for what I need, which is to just capture video to my Mac? I'm looking at ebay now and would like to go the most affordable route. Would another camera model/manufacturer work for my needs as well?

I would like to get the highest res video to my Mac.

Any guidance would be very appreciated.

thx

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    "Highest res video" will be obtained by using the s-video output to an A/D converter and capturing uncompressed or losslessly compressed. If you are using the IEEE1394 connector, you are getting DV-encoded video, which is not the highest resolution possible. A basic D8/Hi8 camera with TBC capability will suffice. Don't pay extra for fancy lenses, effects, etc. that you won't ever use. You will need to look at the spec sheets or manuals to make this determination.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for this information. I will look into purchasing an A/D converter. Wondering if this is a decent one or if I should go a bit more high end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029U2YSA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have about 25 tapes I will be converting and want to ensure I get a decent converter box.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Search in the Capturing forum and you'll find reviews of this device and many others.
    Quote Quote