VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. I asked this question over at PCPartPicker but received no answers; so I thought I should try here. Please be gentle with me.

What is the best Internal Optical drive to obtain today to be able to rip from as many DVDs and BDs that I may come across?

I ask this because I intend to rip all of my DVDs and BDs in my possession and back them up on a couple of hard drives at home for ease of access and entertainment purposes. I am doing this because I just learned that discs are not forever; redundant HDD back-ups are the better alternative.

I have also learned that there are these new UHD BDs out there that may be incompatible with blu-ray drives that came out pre-2015? (I definitely do not claim to be an expert on this) So I am searching for optical drives that can rip those UHD BDs as well (because I may eventually buy some of these so-called UHD BDs in the near future).

I do not really need to burn blu-rays, but would not mind having the capability. My budget is preferably below $80; I also do not mind if ripping takes a long time.

Doing some initial research, it seems like "LG WH16NS40" and "Pioneer BDR-209DBK" are good candidates; would you veterans agree or am I completely out in left field?

Many thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there are no decrypters that will rip the new UHD BDs yet. for your bluray & dvd collection you will need a good
    program to copy them like dvdfab. ( it is best to get a full license for dvdfab because some dvds & blurays have cinavia on
    them that will mute the audio )
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Crab13 View Post
    Doing some initial research, it seems like "LG WH16NS40" and "Pioneer BDR-209DBK" are good candidates; would you veterans agree or am I completely out in left field?
    They should be OK for ripping DVD and Blu-ray. However, no current PC Blu-ray drive is able to perform AACS 2.0 authentication, which is required to be able to decrypt UHD Blu-ray. Although Hitachi-LG was recently granted a licence to produce such a drive for PCs, they are not available yet.

So, there is no suitable drive and no suitable software currently available for ripping UHD Blu-ray.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Jan 2017 at 01:29.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. lg drive has mdisc support which is a plus over pioneer. mdisc has shelf life of over a century. It also supports 100gb disc, which will become standard for holding 4k video or high bitrate 1080p
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    there are no decrypters that will rip the new UHD BDs yet. for your bluray & dvd collection you will need a good
    program to copy them like dvdfab. ( it is best to get a full license for dvdfab because some dvds & blurays have cinavia on
    If you live in the US then you can't purchase DVDFab unless they changed something that I'm not aware of.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Hi.
    Sure there's one.
    Audacity does them all.
    http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/
    Quote Quote  
  7. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Roméo Latour View Post
    Hi.
    Sure there's one.
    Audacity does them all.
    Is this supposed to be some kind of joke?
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tarzan54 View Post
    If you live in the US then you can't purchase DVDFab unless they changed something that I'm not aware of.
    Dvdfab can still be downloaded & purchased in the USA and copies all dvds & bluray disc's It's all one download now, the international version.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Hi.
    Sure there's one.
    Audacity does them all.
    Maybe he means it is possible to defeat Cinavia by using Audacity to alter the pitch, which I'm told works, but most people would not want to listen to the resulting audio.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Keyser;2473257
    Hi.
    Sure there's one.
    [url=https://www.videohelp.com/software/Audacity
    Audacity[/url] does them all.
    Maybe he means it is possible to defeat Cinavia by using Audacity to alter the pitch, which I'm told works, but most people would not want to listen to the resulting audio.[/QUOTE]
    No ,I did not mean anything like that.
    Audacity just reads and records what it hears.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Hi.
    Sure there's one.
    Audacity does them all.
    Maybe he means it is possible to defeat Cinavia by using Audacity to alter the pitch, which I'm told works, but most people would not want to listen to the resulting audio.
    No ,I did not mean anything like that.
    Audacity just reads and records what it hears.
    If you mean use Audacity to copy movies from Blu-ray or UHD blu-ray, it won't record video. Plus, ripping/copying with software takes a fraction of the time it takes to record a movie. ...and Cinavia is designed to survive recording and re-encoding. It is used in movie theaters as well as on DVD and Blu ray to discourage cam bootlegs. Read the Wikipedia entry on Cinavia.
    Quote Quote