VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Have just finished editing a first sequence of clips in Flowblade. This will be part of a longer project. Two quick questions:

1). Can I do a test render of the sequence without destroying the original file. In other words, is the original sequence preserved so I can try different rendering settings. I want to be able to go back to the original if necessary? I know this is general proceedure in computing but just want to make sure.

2). In my sequence I notice there is occasionally a slight jump as if a frame or two are missing following a cut.

Any helpful replies appreciated. Thanks. By the way Flowblade seems like an excellent editor for a newbie to digital editing like myself who hasn't done any editing since the flatbed days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1 - If man isn't clear, you could always do a SAVE AS.

2 - Step through frames at edit boundaries and shift as necessary to eliminate such gaps. Of course, it could be due to the way you are assuming the editing is occurring (which may be counter to how the app operates). Example: Most NLEs count from first frame=Frame0=Time0, and edit on the heads, not the tails, of a frame.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for replying Scott. I'll try your suggestions. I wish Flowblade had a Forum as there is little online help. The manual is very scant for a newbie and if you watch the few Youtube videos most don't really seem to know what they're doing. They're trying to figure things out too! Flowblade seems very promising - just have to wait for it to get more popular. It's very fast and stable - has never crashed for me. Audio editing is limited at present.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tried FlowBlade out about a year ago. It was ok, I think. I much prefer Kdenlive. It's much more advanced and more customizable I think. It also has a forum, but I've never been to it. I prefer to figure it out on my own.

Here's the online manual if anyone is interested: https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Wow! That's what I call a real user's manual. Thanks racer-X. As I've invested time on my current project I'll finish it in Flowblade. Then I'll take a second look at Kdenlive - can't remember why I decided not to use it. Wonder if it works well in Gnome (I assume the KDE part in Kdenlive is for linux KDE).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what desktop you are using. Kdenlive is a kde program and runs best on the kde desktop. I'm running Linx Mint 18.1 Cinnamon x64 desktop. I had to install kde-runtime to make Kdenlive work correctly. It now functions as intended and it's a pretty good NLE for Linux. So far, it's the best one I've tried and I've tried a lot of them.....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks racer-x, I'll try that if current project doesn't meet expectations on Flowblade. I use Xubuntu 16.04 on a Dell XPS 830. I could change OS to Kubuntu for Kdenlive or install kde-runtime as you suggest.
    Quote Quote