VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I download a video form web. when I use pc players such as potplayer or vlc the quality is low (see below image):

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	1035
Size:	477.2 KB
ID:	40108

when I play the same video file in the browser using jwplayer, quality is much better(below image):

Name:	1.png
Views:	839
Size:	804.5 KB
ID:	40109

My question is: How can I enhance video quality for this case using desktop players such as potplayer or vlc ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the video type?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Turn on/off DxVA in potplayer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Chances are you have some image enhancing stuff enabled in your video card's control panel, or there's some image enhancing stuff enabled in Potplayer. Although it does seem odd both VLC and Potplayer would look bad in exactly the same way (I don't think video card settings effect VLC).

I downloaded your second image, made a little h264 video out of it, initialised Potplayer's settings, selected VMR9 as the renderer (hardware decoding doesn't work with EVR on XP so I have to use VMR9) and gave it a test drive.

Name:	Potplayer.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	40131
    Quote Quote  
  5. I don't have too much experience, but a few questions came to me. Maybe all in all it's not a problem of a software player, but a difference of quality of video (kbps etc) you compare, between the stream played online and the stream you downloaded. They might be quite different. Actually they probably are - PotPlayer or VLC can play only what "phisically" is on your drive. They can enhance quality a bit, but they can't change it from SD to HD. Stream online can depend on for example how good your broadband is. So the questions are:
    - what is the website you download the videos?
    - what is the program/addon you use to do it?
    - can it detect/download streams of different qualities for the same video? (some of them are kindda hidden)
    Quote Quote