VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The is part of instruction for FW-update of my LG-burner.
    1. Connect the drive asˇ°masterˇ±by it self, on the secondary IDE controller
    with no other device on the same IDE cable, making note to set the jumper
    on the back of the drive to theˇ°masterˇ±position.

Since its certainly meant for pre SATA-time where HDD was attached to primary IDE-controller i could certainly use my standard actually used primary IDE-controller.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The update program probably checks for a drive attached to the secondary controller.

But what, apart from the possibility of bricking your burner, hope to achieve by updating the firmware ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 3dreal View Post
    The is part of instruction for FW-update of my LG-burner.
    1. Connect the drive asˇ°masterˇ±by it self, on the secondary IDE controller
    with no other device on the same IDE cable, making note to set the jumper
    on the back of the drive to theˇ°masterˇ±position.

Since its certainly meant for pre SATA-time where HDD was attached to primary IDE-controller i could certainly use my standard actually used primary IDE-controller.
    No. older PATA LG DVDRW drives had those specific instructions for a reason..... the FW update is done within Windows, so the std hdd on primary IDE has to be there, and nothing at all on the secondary IDE cable, except the LG DVD drive to be updated
    If you were to connect the LG DVD drive as a Slave on the primary IDE cable, the fw update won't work
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But if I read the OP correctly, he does not (as with most of us these days) have a std hdd for the primary IDE.

If the update is dependant to both drives being present then it will fail regardless.
    Quote Quote  
  5. FW-update worked properly.
    Sorry for not making it clear.
    Sata-HDD
    IDE-DVD-Burner on primary
    Have a special universal MOBO dualcore.
    with 2 quick(one for esata) and two slow SATA-controllers.
    I dont see a reason to switch to a SATA-burner. can use these controllers to attach data-SATA-drive. didnt yet try both at the same time.
    http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-GH22NP20#softwareFirmware
    supports now win7
    Windows 7 will be installed soon. with SSD for OS and -HDD for DATA. most propably with additional SSD-swapdrive. esata must go through PCI-Sata-card since slow controlles cannot be used for esata.
    so i was lucky- accidentally have found that out. such updates are not new to me. but one must remember. i had been repairing pcs over 2 decades-286 upwards....
    Last edited by 3dreal; 30th Dec 2016 at 15:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you needed the FW-update for the drive to work with Win7 ?

That being so, this is the bit that is lost on me. I also have a PATA burner in this PC (as well as a SATA BD reader). I acquired the burner when I was on XP and it was used to install Win7 and still gives sterling service. Yet I never recall the need for a firmware update ever.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Yet I never recall the need for a firmware update ever.
    Newer firmware usually mean more discs supported - recommended only due of this, additionally some improvements on error correction are present (i.e. improved read capabilities for difficult discs).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    on REALLY OLD.... PATA LG DVDRW drives.... like GSA 41xx and such, firmware updates were necessary to be able to burn 16X DVD-R/+R video discs, and 8X DVD RWs, from what I remember.
    The older IDE/PATA drives were more reliable than the newer SATA models. Also, people who owned old school DVD Video Recorders that originally used computer burners, also had to update firmware when replacing the stock DVD drive on failed DVD recorders. A lot of the 2003-2008 LG DVD recorders had unreliable DVD drives that would only last a year or two before failing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Maybe it can now spy us better......!
    yes i am also conservative. e.g. constant updating of nvidia-driver is obsolete(not needed), causing mistakes on older system.
    Quote Quote