VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Howdy,

I dug out my old Mini DV Camcorder and found a bunch of tapes that I'd like to get onto the computer. I connected it to my laptop and ran Windows Movie Maker. I did an Import and just let 'er rip and it seems to work fine but it only copies at realtime speed so it's going to take a loooong time to get this done.

So, I have two questions.
    1) Is there any way to do this at a higher speed?
    2) Is there any reason to use different software to get this done?

The resulting file from WMM are around 13Gig/hr and save as an AVI file which I think is about as good as I'm going to get quality wise. It also seems to go back after it's done with each tape and separate the giant file into separate files based on the blank areas on the tape which is pretty cool.

Just looking for any additional recommendations.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    1) No.
    2) No.

That was easy. MiniDV tapes are already digital so all that's happening is that the data is being copied into files on your drive. You can't go any faster unless you invent a MiniDV player that goes faster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Just wanted confirmation I shouldn't be doing anything differently.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) No
    2) WinDV is the best you can do for software. But if WMM works for you good!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  5. I believe there were some standalone DV tape recorders that could play at 2x. But they were expensive and are probably not available anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Some of the high-end VCRs could do 2× and 4× transfers, but I think it was limited to DVCAM and DVCPRO.
    Quote Quote