VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Newbie here, Im trying to setup a 2x2 4K video wall in my studio. I got 4K Bluray player, I got a 4K Video Matrix Switch from ATEN, but do I need to have 4pcs of 4K monitors as well in order to make a 2x2 4K Video Wall setup? or is 4pcs of 1080p monitors are enough? To my understanding 4pcs of 1080p monitors means it's 4K and 4pcs of 4K monitors means 8K? Is that correct? I'm kind of confused... you know the 4K frameless monitors are much more expensive than the 1080p ones so.... any idea with the resolution calculation?

Thanks in advance!
    And belated Marry Christmas!
    And an early Happy New Year!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    2x2x1080=4k, but only if you have some sort of dv scalar & switcher, and only if the device is capable of the high computations & throughput. A seriously pro video card MIGHT do it, but most true videowalls use a dedicated (read $$$ and complicated) scalar/switcher box with multiple inputs & outputs, allowing compositional assignments beyond simple 1-to-each or all-to-1 options.

(I say this from experience, having recently installed and currently administering a 5x5 wall)

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    2x2x1080=4k, but only if you have some sort of dv scalar & switcher, and only if the device is capable of the high computations & throughput. A seriously pro video card MIGHT do it, but most true videowalls use a dedicated (read $$$ and complicated) scalar/switcher box with multiple inputs & outputs, allowing compositional assignments beyond simple 1-to-each or all-to-1 options.

(I say this from experience, having recently installed and currently administering a 5x5 wall)

Scott
    Thanks buddy! The video matrix I've ordered is the ATEN VM6404H (details: http://www.aten.com/global/en/products/professional-audiovideo/video-matrix-switches/v.../#.WGTK_9J96Uk)
    ATEN stated that it has a built in scaler that supports up-scaling & down-scaling 4K video source, I guess that means it should be able to turn my 2x2 1080p monitors setup into a 4K video wall? It has video processing feature that can combine the monitors into a video wall, that's one thing I already know for sure coz I saw their 1080p model demo before

Thank you in advance! I'm just one click away from ordering the cheaper 1080p monitors now LOL
    Last edited by GamerHaHa; 29th Dec 2016 at 02:48.
    Quote Quote