VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone,

Basically, I have 2 files: a .ts video file and an .ass file that I made that goes with this .ts file.
    I recently switched from a PC to a Mac and the encoder I was using on my PC, xvid4PSP, no longer seems to work -- in any case, the user interface is so different that I can't seem to figure out how to add the .ass file.
    I did notice that when I downloaded xvid4PSP for Mac, there was no option to download ffmpeg and avisynth together as they did on the PC, so I wonder if that's the issue...
    I've also tried handbrake (which doesn't seem to take .ass files), avidemux (similar problem to xvid4PSP; the preview doesn't show my .ass subs so I didn't bother encoding). I've tried converting the .ts file to .avi before adding the sub but that also did not work.
    I don't really want to convert my .ass file to a .srt because then I will lose the formatting.
    If anyone could please offer some insight or advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Put the TS file in a MKV container along with the .ass subtitle file. https://www.videohelp.com/download/MKVToolNix-9.7.1.dmg for MAC It won't hard code the ass but it will be switchable but you can make it default and forced in MKVMerge
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Put the TS file in a MKV container along with the .ass subtitle file. https://www.videohelp.com/download/MKVToolNix-9.7.1.dmg for MAC It won't hard code the ass but it will be switchable but you can make it default and forced in MKVMerge
    Thanks very much for the reply. I think I have tried this already... so sorry, I'm not the most tech-savvy person in the world so could you possibly help me walk through?
    What I tried was click the 'add source files' button, add the .ts file and the .ass subtitle files, and then hit 'start multiplexing' -- I left every setting on whatever is on default. I got an output file, .mkv, but when I try to play this file, it doesn't play (not sure if that's the point of this file though). I'm not sure what to do with this .mkv file afterwards. I saw that someone said on this forum to use handbrake to hardcode but I didn't know what to do once I opened the handbrake program and added the .mkv file...

I am trying to find MKVMerge -- is it already part of MKVToolNix or do I need to download it separately? Thank you sooo much for all your help. I'm so frustrated T__T
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it is part of MKVTool - look for a file called mmg but I'm not sure what it is called in the MAC package - however it sounds like you found it anyway as you are correct to add the file and then add the ass file and mux. If the new file doesn't play that is probably something to do with whatever mediafile player you are using. It is way easier on a PC.

If you still have a PC just download MKVMergeGui and before remuxing highlight the ass file and in General Track Options and select Default track flag and also Forced track flag to YES - then remux. The resulting new mkv file will have the subtitle within it. So depending on the capabilities of the Media Player on the MAC it should all work. I'm not a MAC person but I do know my way around but for what I do there are far more free or shareware programs available for video and audio than on the MAC.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do know if you edit a MKV file with a SRT sub it should be OK and remain in sync but not sure on aas files. Maybe someone else can offer advise on this aspect.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Yes it is part of MKVTool - look for a file called mmg but I'm not sure what it is called in the MAC package - however it sounds like you found it anyway as you are correct to add the file and then add the ass file and mux. If the new file doesn't play that is probably something to do with whatever mediafile player you are using. It is way easier on a PC.

If you still have a PC just download MKVMergeGui and before remuxing highlight the ass file and in General Track Options and select Default track flag and also Forced track flag to YES - then remux. The resulting new mkv file will have the subtitle within it. So depending on the capabilities of the Media Player on the MAC it should all work. I'm not a MAC person but I do know my way around but for what I do there are far more free or shareware programs available for video and audio than on the MAC.
    okay, so yeah, I think I was able to mux -- but how to actually hardsub using this file now (assuming that the reason why the .mkv won't play is because of my media player, which I'm actually not 100% convinced about, actually; I've been using Elmedia Player and it's been playing some of the more rare extensions so I'd be surprised if it didn't support mkv)?
    I do techinically still have a PC but if I were to use it, I would just go back to my trusty PC version of xvid4PSP. I do plan on subbing longer term and my old PC is very feeble and weak so I would like my Mac to do everything eventually if possible... and I figured sooner rather than later.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I told you in a previous reply that whilst you can't hard code subs in a mkv using the program's listed you can make it the default and make the media player to display the subs. This is assuming the media player supports mkv with embedded subs. Retread the replies.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ah okay. I thought if you made it 'default and forced' it would be hardcoded.

I am still then left with the same issue -- the subtitles are not actually for myself to read, I made the .ass myself and I'd like to upload this hardsubbed video online.
    Last edited by poof; 29th Dec 2016 at 15:47.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It should work using HandBrake after you added the ass file using mkvmerge. In HandBrake go to the "Subtitles" tab, add/select the ASS track and tick "Burn In". Then click "Start Encode" at the top to start the hardcoding. (You usually want to select "Auto Passthru" as audio codec to just copy the audio without re-encoding)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    It should work using HandBrake after you added the ass file using mkvmerge. In HandBrake go to the "Subtitles" tab, add/select the ASS track and tick "Burn In". Then click "Start Encode" at the top to start the hardcoding. (You usually want to select "Auto Passthru" as audio codec to just copy the audio without re-encoding)
    Oh my gosh thank you soooo so much, this worked!!! I'm so happy, thank you!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote