VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was using MakeMKV but I have run across several of my DVDs that it can not rip the individual titles from it rips huge files that are 6GBs in size when they should be individual files that are more like 700MBs in size.
    This is for DVDs that I own, I want to rip them run them through VidCoder and encode them using H.264 so all of them can fit on a BD-R. My Blu-Ray players can all play individual MKVs and I want them all on one disc so that I don't have to swap not to mention DVDs scratch a lot more easily than BD-Rs. I want to keep my originals in a safe place. Does anyone know of a free DVD ripper that can rip individual titles like I need? Like I implied, I am NOT a pirate and pay for my DVDs. the VideoTS folders are already ripped.
    Last edited by Tress213; 27th Dec 2016 at 08:24.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you only want to use something that's free, then you're probably going to have to use more than one tool. The DVD-to-HDD portion of DVDFab HD Decrypter remains free, while other features of the software are trialware. You can do an initial stage, ripping the entire disc to hard drive with that tool; then use DVDShrink thereafter (in reauthor mode) to separate each individual title set. DVDShrink does have some ripping features, but has not been updated in over a dozen years. That's why you will need an updated ripping tool.

And then, even after that, you would need a third tool to encode to h.264.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use VidCoder to encode, I do not like all in one rip and encode solutions. The DVD VideoTS folders are on my harddrive already. I have tried MakeMKV,DVDFab and a plethora of others, none of them seem able to rip the individual episodes.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both dvd decrypter and dvd shrink can rip individual episodes.
    However, both programs may not work on new released movies.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's not what he's asking, what he wants is MakeMKVs manual DVD mode to cut the title on chapter marks.

http://www.makemkv.com/manualdvd/

But then again, since he's re-encoding with Vidcoder, he may as well just rip the discs as single big files using MakeMKV and then cut the files at chapter points using Vidcoder during re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    That's not what he's asking, what he wants is MakeMKVs manual DVD mode to cut the title on chapter marks.
    No, it looks like he wants to separate individual episodes of a TV series. (He uses terms like "individual episodes" and "individual titles" in his posts.) Title Sets are different beasts from chapter points, although multiple chapter points can be found within each Title Set.

If the discs are already ripped to hard drive, then DVD Shrink -- in the Re-Author mode -- should prep everything needed for final mkv conversion in Vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV CAN rip individual titles, it DOES rip individual titles. In fact if there is a play all AND the episodes are listed as their own titles as well it will show both the play all and the individual episodes. There's no reason MakeMKV would only rip a 6gb file when there are smaller titles it can rip, unless of course there ARE no smaller titles and all that's on the disc is a single play all. In that case the DVD menu distinguishes the episodes using only chapter markers, but to ripping software it looks no different to a movie with chapters so they can't possibly know what to do with them other than rip all the episodes as a single file.

Really, it happens, and in that case even DVD Shrink is no more effective.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Super God Masterforce.

8 episodes to a disc, load it up with MakeMKV and the only title shown is 3 hours and 7.5gb.

If I open that very same disc with DVD Shrink and look at it I see exactly the same thing.

From what I've read, that's exactly what he's talking about. In fact he's said nothing to imply he's facing any other problem.

<I have run across several of my DVDs >

NOT ALL OF THEM

<I have tried MakeMKV,DVDFab and a plethora of others, none of them seem able to rip the individual episodes. >

Really? Are modern DVD rippers really that crappy that apparently there's a authoring method that only DVDShrink can decipher?
    Quote Quote  
  9. DVD Shrink, using its "reauthor" mode.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's an episodic DVD so DVDDecrypter can almost certainly handle it. In IFO Mode it can choose which chapters to decrypt so just choose the chapters that correspond to each episode.

Also, once on the hard drive, using PGCDemux you can probably separate the episodes by VOB ID and cut them into individual VOBs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    *sigh*

He was already using MakeMKV, so unless he particularly objects to the process he might as well try Manual Mode.
    Quote Quote  
  12. *sigh*

Maybe he doesn't realize there's more than one way to skin a cat. And maybe that method in your link isn't exactly easy. And maybe doing it the DVDDecrypter way is one helluva lot more simple. And let's not forget he did ask for an alternative method although, if his description is correct, the episodes are all contained within a single title:

Originally Posted by Tress213 View Post
    Does anyone know of a free DVD ripper that can rip individual titles like I need?
    And he said the DVD files are already on the hard drive which makes the possible use of PGCDemux a no brainer once it's installed and he has a look to see if the VOB IDs correspond to the episodes, as they often do:

Originally Posted by Tress213 View Post
    The DVD VideoTS folders are on my harddrive already.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK.

1: it's proven he already knows these other things exist, and he's chosen MakeMKV. Over on Doom9 I just recommended DVD Shrink reauthor to keep 608 caption so I'm not above using it. The OP was using DVD Decryptor so I tried that but it was too much of a pain in the arse to recommend.

2: if VidCoder is anything like its parent, Handbrake, the simplest solution would be to simply point Vidcoder at the DVD files on the hard drive and skip all the ripping software completely. If it can't read DVD structures like Handbrake does then he should use Handbrake. If that's not true then there's a reason he's converting to MKV first and neither DVD Shrink nor DVD Decryptor are going to help with that.

3: the only way to know which chapters to cut at is to actually watch them. The DVD Shrink window is painful, it would actually be easier to look at the things with VLC and type the numbers into MakeMKV, as long you can get your head around the simple formatting of the command string, which is the only real problem with MakeMKV Manual Mode.

I think point 2 is the important one.
    Quote Quote  
  14. 1. Apparently he doesn't know how to properly use DVDDecrypter to extract the episodes from a DVD where they're all contained within a single PGC. And he certainly hasn't tried PGCDemux. I don't know anything about your Doom9 posts or even if it's a good comparison to this thread.

2. I think he's converting to MKV because MakeMKV is being used mainly as a decrypter here. I could be wrong about that, though. Me, I'd never use it for that. But I'd never use Handbrake or Vidcoder either.

3. Not true. In the examples of such DVDs I've seen, it's a simple matter to figure out which chapters make up each episode.

But we're sidetracking the thread so I'll bow out unless Tress213 asks for some help with one of my suggestions. Maybe your suggestion will work for him. I hope so.
    Quote Quote