VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Happy Holidays, I want to know how to restore it and make these videos in HD 720p. Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As the original is off VHS tape most likely there is no way you can 'make' it equal to 720p in resolution. The image can be cleaned up and tweaked a little and then encoded to 720p but it won't look any better than what it does. If the resolution is not there in the original you can't wave a magic wand to make it DVD or Blu ray quality in appearance.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, I thought I'd at least try to see what can be done. I did color and gamma correction and then fed it into a variation of VideoFred's film restoration script (you'll find it over at doom9.org). This gets rid of much of the dirt (except at the bad splice points where the dirt removal algorithm gets overwhelmed). It also sharpens it a bit. At the end, I had the script increase the resolution to 720p, as you requested. I should have turned off the motion stabilization because it actually introduced a little bit of unwanted motion. I then reduced the noise on the audio channel.

Here is the result. The color correction helps a lot, as does the dirt removal, but the increase in resolution to 720p, as netmask56 already guessed, does absolutely nothing to improve the video. If I had to do the entire show, I'd simply do color correction and dirt removal, and nothing else. I'd only increase the resolution if it was absolutely required by whatever playback device I was going to use. AFIK, all playback devices can play lower resolutions, so the change to 1280x720 is really unnecessary, and simply causes the files sizes to get a LOT bigger, in order to maintain the same level of "quality."

Modified Version
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you very much, but there is still too much noise. I want a result like this, to understand how he did: https://youtu.be/BX-APxBbnlo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ciccioschumacher View Post
    Thank you very much, but there is still too much noise. I want a result like this, to understand how he did: https://youtu.be/BX-APxBbnlo
    Link doesn't work outside your country.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. That is the same lousy video you already posted. There is no improvement. At least I got rid of the dirt (except at the splice points).
    Quote Quote  
  7. No, look, it's in HD, the colors are improved and the grain is smaller.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ciccioschumacher View Post
    No, look, it's in HD, the colors are improved and the grain is smaller.
    There was visible grain in the 320x240 version you originally posted??

The colors were pretty radically altered in the version I posted. I too got rid of the red undertone and corrected the gamma.

Here's the before-after:

There is no grain whatsoever in the video you posted in #1 above. However, it does have blockiness artifacts, so perhaps that is what you mean. The VideoFred film script I used does reduce that somewhat, but wasn't really intended for that purpose. If your only version of the film is what you originally posted, and you want to get rid of the blockiness from the horrible, low-res, low bitrate encoding, then do a search for "Deblock AVISynth". You should find quite a few ways to reduce that artifact.

It will still look pretty bad, however.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 27th Dec 2016 at 14:35. Reason: added image
    Quote Quote  
  9. I want a result like the 960x720 version, I posted later.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ciccioschumacher View Post
    I want a result like the 960x720 version, I posted later.
    OK, if that is what you want, then you need to use a huge amount of sharpening. That is all I see in the "improved" version that you uploaded.

Here is a side-by-side comparison with the 960x720 version that you like (it is on the left), with what I did for you (it is on the right). Both freeze frames are zoomed way in so you are only looking at about 10% of the whole frame.

Please note, on the left in your 960x720 version, the horrible halos around the dark object in the center right of the picture. Also note in your version on the left how much detail has been lost from the white object that stretches from the top to the bottom on the right side of the picture.

So, if you don't mind the halos and the severe loss of detail, then the way to get what you want is to use a sharpening algorithm, and turn the settings way up high.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, and I also want deblocking to remove artifacts of 240p. If restored me the video, I'm okay, but I really want the whole script, otherwise, I'll have to write to each video, and I do not think the case.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Now I would have another big problem, you could restore this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1LbDGoQrN4? Incredibly, it is the best version I've found (240p) even on Darcyf1.com is 192p, and is not present in the race no sitoche I know (vimeo, dailymotion, Videa.hu, Usenet and uTorrent). Anyway, thanks for the video of Celentano, it is also the YouTuber complimented. Yes, I also think that they were two different sources, one for bands above and below the screen in its original and not, and the main screen without blocking in him, however, despite in touch with your restoration, still in my.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I am waiting for You.
    Quote Quote  
  14. We are waiting for you... to come to your senses.
    Quote Quote  
  15. In what Sense?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ciccioschumacher View Post
    I am waiting for You.
    Waiting for Who? Certainly not me: you didn't care for what I did.

However, I don't mind that you didn't like what I did because everyone has their own taste. However, since you want to change your video to something that, to me, looks awful, I cannot help you.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Please help me.
    Last edited by ciccioschumacher; 5th Jan 2017 at 16:38.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I did not say I do not like, in the end, I realized that there were two different sources, that the clever YouTuber.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Johnmeyer, please, help me.
    Quote Quote  
  20. You've sent me two private messages, and now this. I really do not understand what you expect me to do. I already told you that I used VideoFred's film restoration script. You can find that over at doom9.org.

I think that you will need to get help from other people in this forum. Hopefully one of them will reply.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thank you very much, I will consider it a VideoFred script, if someone else responds, so be it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I would like to know if there is a way to remove the website in the middle of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJW_2wLt704
    Quote Quote  
  23. The www.reelinintheyears.com logo can be pretty nearly completely removed using a decent logo remover.

That's a helluva good version of My Generation.
    Quote Quote  
  24. You know decent logo removal?
    Quote Quote  
  25. For that kind of logo I usually use AviSynth's Logotools. but it needs a black background with the logo on top. I usually delogo movies where it's easy to find black frames, but yours doesn't really have a good one to use. You might try one of the VDub logo removers:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Virtualdub-Logoaway-filter
    Quote Quote  
  26. There are many shots where the logo is partially over a black background. Just cut/paste from several images.
    Quote Quote  
  27. When using Logotools you have to give the frame from from which you made the mask, so that won't work with this video. I tried using the darkest frame I could find and it didn't work. Maybe XLogo or the VDub one will work.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    When using Logotools you have to give the frame from from which you made the mask, so that won't work with this video.
    Can't you just append the logo image to your clip?
    Quote Quote  
  29. VirtualDub's Delogo lets you build the mask for a semi-transparent logo. You just select portions of the video where the mask is present and let it "learn" the mask. It is important, however, that you make sure there is no frame where the mask disappears, and no frames where something else shows up on the screen. The Delogo filter lets you specify multiple frame ranges, so for a video like this you can easily include all the ranges where just the logo appears, and not the other titles.
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 1st Feb 2017 at 19:54. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote