VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to build a multi CD/DVD Burner with 6 burners.

At the moment I have an IDE mobo with IDE 4 burners and 2 IDE Hard drives which contain my many CD and DVD images on.

I connect with primary, secondary and a PCI controller card.

All goes well but I want to expand into another box for 6 burners.

I have the IDE mobo, burners and 2 PCI controllers but my main question is can I use 2 PCI controllers which will connect me to the 6 burners.

Also any other suggestions please.

I still use XP with Nero and not connected to the internet or anything else.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If your mobo can support it, and you have slots/racks for the drives, extra pci cards can certainly add extra simultaneous burning capability. I have put together similar 8-disc systems a while ago using ide dvd-r drives in a win98 and then later XP tower. With nero, cdrwin, discjuggler, etc.

Some suggestions:
    If possible, use similar/identical models of drives. Helps with cache ram management & consistency of throughput. Similarly, use matched cards (many will cooperatively share resources if they can intimately recognise their pair"s capabilities).
    If possible, sata is preferable to ide. Helps with resource configuration & buffering flow.
    If possible, use Win7 64bit over Xp to ensure plenty of dedicated application memory allocation.
    Strongly recommend using 2-part process of read-to-iso (save to hdd/ssd) then write-from-iso vs. Live disc-to-discs. Again, mem alloc & throughput.
    Recommend dedicated read drive, on separate bus & controller from writing drives.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 26th Dec 2016 at 16:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Btw, scsi also worked quite well in the past, both for direct-to-disc connections and for expansion chassis connections.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great help..many thanks..

Yes all my stuff is from iso and I will check the controllers that they are the same.. I think they are.

For me to go sata, I would need the new mobo I guess or are there small converters that will allow sata/ide ports. That way I will buy the sata burners and sata controllers.

I think I have a spare Win 7 64 which I can use too

Many thanks
    Quote Quote