VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I put a ViXS PureTV card from a Hewlett Packard into another computer, with Windows 10. 10 finds and installs drivers for the card, no problems.

Now I need software that can access the ATSC tuner (no need to bother with the NTSC part now) and the S-Video and RCA stereo audio inputs so I can watch TV and digitize tapes from my Super-VHS VCR.

With Windows XP, Vista and 7, the card used Microsoft's Media Center for all that, but with 8 and 10 there's no Media Center.

What 3rd party software will work?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    NextPVR may work for recording/watching TV with the ATSC tuner. However, if this card uses its own hardware encoder for analog sources, it is possible that you'll need to use GraphStudio to build filter graphs (not a beginner-friendly process) to have access to encoder settings and other controls.

NextPVR supports analog tuners and connections, but I don't know what encoder settings and other controls you will have available through NextPVR. ...and to use NextPVR for anaolg you'll need to install Hauppauge WinTV software (or at least the SoftPVR components). NextPVR reuses a MPEG2 transport stream multiplexer component from WinTV for TV cards that encode analog input with their own MPEG-2 hardware encoder. (At least some of the ViXS PureTV cards used hardware MPEG-2 encoding for analog sources.) If this ViXS PureTV card uses software-based encoding instead, NextPVR will also use the audio/video encoder components from WinTV.

There are also ways to install Windows 7's Media Center on a Windows 10 system, but the legality of it is questionable and in the long term it may or may not continue to be viable.

[Edit}I forgot about SageTV, which is now open source. https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=578056#post578056

Note that NextPVR and the open source version of SageTV don't include free guide data like Windows 7 does. You can obtain guide data via a $25/year Schedules Direct.subscription
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Dec 2016 at 11:38.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote