VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. This 'ole program is said to back-up any DVD, including selectable screensize AND subtitles, and then fit the sucker on one 74-minute CDR.

And..

Then, they claim, you can view the CDR on your home DVD player...

Sounds a bit TOO good to be true to me... anyone know this app?

I've downloaded the program, but it doesn't have a demo-mode, and has to be bought before you can actually use it... therefor, I haven't tried it out myself.

Thanks,
    TriHorn
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by trihorn
    Sounds a bit TOO good to be true to me
    exactly
    As Churchill famously predicted when Chamberlain returned from Munich proclaiming peace in his time: "You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
    Quote Quote  
  3. yeah... but that still doesn't explain why it got 5/5 cows at TUCOWS.net...

here's the link to the developer's site for anyone who would want to check it out...

http://www.copymydvd.com/details.htm

I still don't know what to make of it, but it still sounds good.

TriHorn
    Quote Quote  
  4. It does the same thing that DVD2SVCD does---it just rips the DVD to VCD, SVCD or DIVX formats.

You can do the same thing with free software---the guys selling this are being more than a little deceptive, and quite slimy.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by revjake
    You can do the same thing with free software---the guys selling this are being more than a little deceptive, and quite slimy.
    it prolly includes the freeware we're all using...they're trying to trick the ppl who are new to this
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think if you check this link and the one above ther are by the same scam guys...just different name...this is called 321 DVD Copy

http://www.copymydvd.com/details.htm
    Quote Quote  
  7. OK if any one of you guys want to try and test this protect out
    email me
    and i can send it to you
    the file is not big
    just install and try it out
    Y2flyy
    Quote Quote  
  8. I found a copy on an FTP site. This is all the product is. Once you install it they have you install these 3 free programs

Smartripper 2.41
    DVDx 1.8
    VCDEasy (can't remember version)

And once you install them you use there tutorial on how to setup the programs to create VCD, SVCD or DiVX. The funny part is that DVDx was created so you didn't need to RIP a DVD to your harddrive first, but they tell you that you must rip it first. Paying money for freeware programs and a bad tutorial, it is definately not worth it. Yes if you choose VCD or SVCD as your destination you maybe able to play them on a Home DVD if yours can play this type of disc (most will play VCDs but many will not play SVCDs). Hope this answers any questions on this product
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My copy is around 15.9 Megs in size.

Originally Posted by y2flyy
    OK if any one of you guys want to try and test this protect out
    email me
    and i can send it to you
    the file is not big
    just install and try it out
    Y2flyy
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by susie
    My copy is around 15.9 Megs in size.
    hrm...don't tell me u actually paid money for it? it's basically freeware you can download for free....did you let them fool u?
    Quote Quote  
  11. [BEGIN OBTUSE CONSPIRACY THEORY]

I noticed this is also the company suing the MPAA saying that ripping should be legal and whatnot.

Methinks maybe, just maybe, this is a "dupe" by the MPAA itself who set up this straw man, using the software we all use, and who will cause its straw man to lose this case badly.

Result: A court ruling that all our trusty freeware tools are illegal and injunctions against VCDHELP.COM and DOOM9.ORG against distrubition of software or tutorials.

[/OBTUSE CONSPIRACY THEORY]
    Quote Quote  
  12. I hope the conspiracy theory is correct. It will be amusing to see another Napster like case make its way through our pathetic governmental and legal processes. None of these pathetic bureaucrats seems to be able to recognize that they cant stop geeks hacking media, nor should they.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So the moral of this thread should be:

Copy all your DVD backup software to a CD-r for safe keeping, in case your PC takes a dump, since the programs might become illegal soon...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Keeping in mind that any such hypothetical ruling would only be valid within US jurisdication...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well said 321
    Your impending action will indeed help the efforts of vcdhelp.com

The support that end users get is great and worth the small amount to purchase the software bundle.

DVD Copy Plus is available for download at
    www.copyourdvd.com
    Quote Quote  
  16. Why pay a daim when you can get a freeware program that does it all for you (and I mean all)?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Guest
    Just two questions for 321studios

1) "Do you use any of the following software, or parts of in your own software package"

Smartripper
    DVDx
    VCDEasy
    Tmpgenc

2) "Do you need any aditional software to to support the conversion/ripping process of your software"

for example

Smartripper
    DVDx
    VCDEasy
    Tmpgenc
    Quote Quote  
  18. Guest
    Strange no answer from Mr 321studios
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by 321Studios
    Lastly, distributing our software to eachother is illegal. Your complaints contradict your own actions.
    making a profit from freeware is also illegal....if we should tell the programmers of those freeware of smartripper, dvdx, etc....u can be in some problems yourself
    Quote Quote  
  20. Ah, but I'm sure Mr. SlimyashellsoiIcreatepseudonymstosupportmyproject has got a cunningly created disclaimer which informs you as to the vast amount of labour which went into compiling other peoples freeware programs. Of course, you didn't really think that you were paying for the programs did you ?? No No...... they wouldn't do that That would be illegal, not to mention unethical, and would be just the sort of penny sweet pilfering tactics that a five year old would employ when spamming your email with 1 click "DUMBDVD" products........
    Ah well, Mr 321 (disappeared with your bucks) will probably just hire the services of Jonny Cockroach to sucessfully sue.....
    I think I've just found another candidate for Manbeef processing
    Quote Quote  
  21. Maybe they bought a license to use the freeware programs in their software? But anyway, why pay $40 for a program, when you can get a freeware program, which probably works better than 321?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Well that makes things really easy to clear up then. Any good P.R/Marketing maanager keen to defend themselves against untruthful slurs will attempt to be transparent in all their business practices. We eagerly await a copy of the license agreement to prove this.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I doubt they dare reply, they know they've lost. Besides, in the past I used to think Tucows was a reliable source to reviews. That has just gone down the drain.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hm, but why should they even care to reply? They would keep selling the software anyway, and keep ripping of people, who isn't aware of the other freeware tools...

Originally Posted by 321Studios
    First of all, the lawsuit against the MPAA is not the MPAA suing itself. What an incredibly ridiculous theory. Before theorizing, try investigating first.
    Without theories there wouldn't be any investigating :P
    Quote Quote  
  25. Kind of funny that 321studios and DVD copy plus is the exact same product If you look at the download page of "DVD copy plus" under the news you'll see that they take credit for the 5 cows from 321studios. Man, what a bunch of liars My guess is that the two slimy bastards is one and the same. Incredible.

WARNING, 321studios is a complete down and dirty rip off. Below you can see what they want money for.

So, I downloaded the shit. Here is the list of program tools from the installation:

DVDx 1.8
    Smartripper 2.41
    VCDEasy 1.0.9

And here is the guide:

DVD Copy Pro - Instruction Sheet

(To print this file, click CTRL+P)

Step 1: SmartRipper

1. Install SMARTRIPPER from the TOOLS button at the top.
    2. Make sure you have a DVD movie inserted in your DVD-Rom Drive.
    3. Open SMARTRIPPER using the LAUNCH button in the Tutorial.
    4. Let SMARTRIPPER scan your DVD movie.
    5. Click the button below the TARGET label.
    6. Choose a location on your hard drive to save your movie, and click SAVE.
    7. Leave all of the other settings alone.
    8. Click START.
    9. The process should take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Step 2: DVDx

1. Install DVDX from the TOOLS button at the top.
    2. Open DVDX using the LAUNCH button in the Tutorial.
    3. Click FILE and click OPEN IFO.
    4. If you are outside of North America, change the OUTPUT FRAME RATE to "25.0 (PAL)". Otherwise, change it to "29.97 (NTSC)".
    5. Make sure the rest of your settings match with those in Figure 06.02 in Step 6 of the Tutorial.
    6. Click OK if you receive a warning(s) that mentions "Input and Output Frame Rate" or "Cannot Authenticate Drive".
    7. Click SETTINGS and click OUTPUT SETTING.
    8. Change the VOLUME DON'T EXCEED option to 80MIN VCD or 74MIN VCD. This depends if you'll be using 74 or 80 minute CD-R's to record your movie.
    9. Click the WHOLE button under EXPORT SETTINGS.
    10. Make sure the rest of your settings match with those in Figure 08.02 in Step 8 of the Tutorial.
    11. Click APPLY when you're finished.
    12. Click the SELECT OUTPUT button at the bottom of DVDx and click BROWSE.
    13. Choose a location to save your movie.
    14. Name your file whatever you like. (e.g. "Star Wars.mpg")
    15. When you're finished, click SAVE and OK.
    16. The conversion process can take anywhere from 2 to 10 hours to complete, depending on your computer's processor.
    17. When you're ready, click the ENCODE button.

Step 3: VCD Easy

1. Install VCD EASY from the TOOLS button at the top.
    2. Open VCD EASY from the LAUNCH button.
    3. Select your CD WRITER from the dropdown list in the MAIN Window.
    4. By VOLUME LABEL, type a new name for your Movie. (e.g. STARWARS)
    5. By the BIN OUTPUT FILE field, click the BROWSE button.
    6. Save your movie in a temporary directory on your computer. (e.g. "C:\Movies\StarWars.bin")
    7. Click the ADD MPEG button at the bottom of VCD Easy.
    8. Locate part 1 of your movie and OPEN it.

MovieName.mpg (Part 1)
    MovieName_02.mpg (Part 2)
    9. Do not add more than ONE .mpg at a time. Burn Part 2 to another disc.
    10. Click SETTINGS.
    11. Click CDRDAO.
    12. By FORCE DRIVER, click MORE INFORMATION.
    13. SPEED should be set to 4X.
    14. BUFFER should be set to 64.
    15. By the FORCE DRIVER field, click the MORE INFORMATION button. (You must be connected to the Internet. If you do not have Internet access, open VCDEasy.htm from your installed directory)
    16. Locate the driver for the Vendor and Model of your CD Writer. (e.g. "generic-mmc")
    17. If you cannot find your Vendor/Model, use the driver called DEFAULT.
    18. If the CD does not burn or VCD Easy reports an error, change the driver to GENERIC-MMC-RAW.
    19. Back in the VCD Easy settings window, change the driver in the dropdown menu to your Vendor/Model driver.
    20. Click back to MAIN on the left hand menu.
    21. Make sure a 74 or 80 minute CD-R has been inserted in to your CD Writer drive.
    22. When you are ready to begin copying your movie, click the GO button.
    [/b]
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Just use DVD2SVCD it roxxx!!! the rest are just cheap imitations of dvd2svcd and they charge you money !!
    Quote Quote  
  27. If they only were imitations of dvd2svcd. They are not even that. They are imitations of all the manual guides already made by a lot of people. Man, I wish that the author of Smartripper, DVDx or VCDEays would sue the hell out of these guys.
    Quote Quote  
  28. And what a big case it would be. On their page they wrote:

What is DVD Copy Pro
    DVD Copy Pro is an interactive and high quality DVD backup tool. More than 250,000 customers in nearly every country in the world continually utilize our products. Our simple and cost effective solution eliminates the need to purchase expensive DVD format writing tools, by converting and compressing your DVD files with nothing more than a DVD-ROM and a CD-writer. Besides having a great product, 321Studios is also based around a high-success, high-growth format. DVD.

DVD is the fastest-growing consumer electronics format in history. Americans own more movies now than ever before, and 321Studios gives you the tools to protect your investment, by providing a cost effective software suite that allows you to backup your DVD collection.
    Now, $40 multiplied by 250,000 copies makes a lot of money, if they haven't licensed the freeware. Even if they had, their own program dosen't do sh*t! Not that I believe 250,000 people have been stupid enough to buy this software, but in theory a firm could (and should) end up in big trouble for pulling a dirty trick like this. Anyway, if this would end up in court, i would guess they had to pay up for 250,000 licenses of SmartRipper, DVDx and VCDEasy, even if they didn't sell more than 10 programs? They wrote it themselves, so they should pay the price? 8)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Just sent an email to TUCOWS asking them to at least remove the recomendation for this peice of S#!t software, Keep Freeware FREE!!

321studios are just ripping people off.
    Quote Quote