VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know how to find .srt files for movies and add them to my vlc player, however I can't find subtitles for tv series and also the dvd complete set does not have subtitles with it. Does this mean that I can't get any subtitles or is there a software that can automatically add to movies or does the software also have to do a search for subtitles? I want to purchase the dvd complete set without subtitles, it's a bbc tv series. Don't know anything about subtitle software, if it has to search the same as me or not.When this tv series was played in usa on tv it had subtitles for americans. However I can't find them.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Have you tried the subtitle sites mentioned in this sticky thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/305253-Good-subtitle-sites
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Have you tried the subtitle sites mentioned in this sticky thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/305253-Good-subtitle-sites
    I had tried almost all and just now tried a few that never been too still no luck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abbyzzz View Post
    When this tv series was played in usa on tv it had subtitles for americans.
    Which series is it?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try this site:
    http://www.subtitleseeker.com/

It's a search engine for subtitles, if you can't find it there it is going to be very hard to find
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I want to purchase the dvd complete set without subtitles, (
    That doesn't make any sense. Either the DVD's have subtitles or they don't. They don't sell sets with or without. And if you intend to purchase the DVD set, why are you wasting time searching for files?

If you aren't having any luck finding them, they likely were never ripped from the source (or they don't exist). So unless someone spends the time to make the files (ie: physically type out all of the dialog and time code it for each file), you aren't likely to get them. There isn't any software which creates subtitles from simply inputting a video file.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are numerous TV and movie DVD's issued without subtitles, mostly older ones, so the only subs available are those done by amateurs and often done for the hard of hearing. You need to widen your search pattern and maybe do a search in a non English speaking country. I found amateur produced English subtitles on an unlikely site in South America some years ago for a Spanish film DVD a friend had. He of course was able to correct some of it but widen your search pattern.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post
    I want to purchase the dvd complete set without subtitles, (
    That doesn't make any sense. Either the DVD's have subtitles or they don't. They don't sell sets with or without. And if you intend to purchase the DVD set, why are you wasting time searching for files?

If you aren't having any luck finding them, they likely were never ripped from the source (or they don't exist). So unless someone spends the time to make the files (ie: physically type out all of the dialog and time code it for each file), you aren't likely to get them. There isn't any software which creates subtitles from simply inputting a video file.
    The OP states that this series was shown on TV in the US "with subtitles". DVD sets produced for the US from a TV series may contain closed captions instead of selectable subtitles so, he may be looking for the wrong thing. Even if the DVD set lacks both subtitles and closed captions, depending on the channel which carried the programming in question and how the series was recorded, it might be possible for someone to use CCExtractorGUI on a recorded video file to obtain subtitles.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Which series is it?
    Secret Army tv series by bbc 1977 the box set does not have the cc. I just downloaded sublight and it couldn't find it. Thinking about contacting the bbc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If everything else fails: Download the Portuguese here

http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/ssearch/sublanguageid-all/idmovie-29237

Google translate them in Subtitle Edit and edit as necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    This site claims to have them in English, but sign-up is required.
    http://www.scaricarefilm.eu/tv-serie/75579-secret-army/season-1
    Quote Quote  
  12. This series suffers the triple curse of being very old, very obscure, and of little to no interest whatsoever to North Americans in 2016. So unfortunately, you may simply have to accept no English srt files exist or will exist for it. The only srts I've found are in Farsi or Portugese, neither of which will auto-translate worth a damn into English.

Only the first series was released officially by BBC as a North American Region 1 NTSC version DVD set, all other releases were region 2 or 4, and none appear to have contained English-language closed captions or subtitles. The series itself pre-dates widespread use of closed-captioning: it originally aired during PBS final testing phase of their CC hardware. Masterpiece Theater did not own The Secret Army, so was unlikely to permanently embed CC info at that time (even if they did, BBC itself would use different materials to create the DVDs 25 years later).

In my experience, the overwhelming majority of srt files originate or pass thru the Addic7ed website: if the subtitle you need isn't indexed there, it will be difficult or impossible to locate. Very occasionally, SubtitleSeeker will index something that Addic7ed lacks, but this is rare. Subscene is basically a mirror site for Addic7ed, with a less annoying interface (and far less popup ads). scaricarefilm appears to be a fraudulent website: if you decide to sign up on the off chance they're legit, do not give them any genuine info about yourself. Create a new gmail or whatever ID just for this signup.
    Last edited by orsetto; 22nd Dec 2016 at 11:40.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Which series is it?
    Secret Army 1977 tv series by bbc
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    This site claims to have them in English, but sign-up is required.
    http://www.scaricarefilm.eu/tv-serie/75579-secret-army/season-1
    Know about this site but hesitant to sign up.,
    Quote Quote