VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Thread
  1. Hello!
    So I dubbed all my families VHS home movies onto DVDs. After they were done, I made sure to finalize them. After they were finalized, they played fine on DVD players and on my computer. I copied all of the DVDs onto an external hard drive and tried to make copies. The copies will not play on the DVD players. The original burned DVDs automatically have a menu pop up when put into a DVD player, but when I put a copied DVD into the DVD player, it automatically tries to start playing it. Then the DVD player skips around the chapters without actually playing the video.

    Am I missing something during the burning process? The DVD player sees the copied DVD, and tries to play it, but it does not actually play any of the DVD.

    I am burning the DVDs on a MAC OS X 10.9.4

    Thanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Post in the Mac Forum.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The way that is worded makes me wonder if a VHS to DVD device was used, otherwise how where these VHS to DVD dubs made? A VHS to DVD AIO often makes a different DVD than a true DVD image. It might be you copied the wrong version of the file to the external drive. Then when the DVD was made it was authored incorrectly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Sweden
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our mac section.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Explorer Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-Video uses a special file system: UDF 1.02. Your copies should have that file system, too. Check the file system of the copied discs with Get Info (⌘I) on a selected disc in the Finder.
    DVD-Video has a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder in the top level of the disc. Your copies should have that too (not buried into deeper folders).
    DVD-Video has .VOB, .IFO and .BUP files in the VIDEO_TS folder. Set top DVD recorders may use VRO files, which other DVD players usually can't read.

    Tell us about your copying procedure.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Also, if you look to the upper left on this page you will see 'WHAT IS' DVD.
    This has information for the DVD specification, format and structure of DVDs.

    And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by OldMan64 View Post
    The way that is worded makes me wonder if a VHS to DVD device was used, otherwise how where these VHS to DVD dubs made? A VHS to DVD AIO often makes a different DVD than a true DVD image. It might be you copied the wrong version of the file to the external drive. Then when the DVD was made it was authored incorrectly.
    Yes sir. I was using a Toshiba Dual VHS/DVD Recorder to dub the VHS tapes. When I copied from the original DVD to the hard drive, I took the only folder it showed, the VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    DVD-Video uses a special file system: UDF 1.02. Your copies should have that file system, too. Check the file system of the copied discs with Get Info (⌘I) on a selected disc in the Finder.
    DVD-Video has a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder in the top level of the disc. Your copies should have that too (not buried into deeper folders).
    DVD-Video has .VOB, .IFO and .BUP files in the VIDEO_TS folder. Set top DVD recorders may use VRO files, which other DVD players usually can't read.

    Tell us about your copying procedure.
    Thanks for the response!

    After looking at both the original DVD and the Copied, the original is the UDF Format, but the copied DVD is formatted as MAC OS Extended. Do I need to reformat the Disc before Burning? Or is there a process I'm missing during the Burn Process? Or maybe a file to add to the disc so it burns as a UDF format?

    The original DVD has the VIDEO_TS folder, but not an AUDIO_TS.

    The folder has all three .BUP, .IFO, and .VOB files. Each chapter begins with the .BUP and .IFO, then there are one or more .VOB files for the videos.

    When I go to make the copy, I burn the entire VIDEO_TS file.

    Your first observation seems to be what I'm missing. I just need to know how to format the Disc as UDF before it finalizes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Also, if you look to the upper left on this page you will see 'WHAT IS' DVD.
    This has information for the DVD specification, format and structure of DVDs.

    And welcome to our forums.
    Thanks for responding!

    I looked at that section and found a way to burn the .VOD file onto a DVD, unfortunately "Tmpgenc DVD Author" is not compatible with MAC OS X. Would you happen to know of another program that works on a MAC that will burn the .VOD files onto a DVD that formats the DVD into the UDF format? Case's answer brought up the format, and that seems to be the only difference between the two DVDs.

    Thanks for welcome and again, thanks for the response!
    Last edited by dtroitlions21; 12th Dec 2016 at 23:58. Reason: Specifying a MAC OS X Program
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I'm moving you to our mac section.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Explorer Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Search Comp PM
    You may need to use a burning application that supports burning in UDF.
    Last edited by Case; 13th Dec 2016 at 06:52.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    You may need to use a burning application that supports burning in UDF.
    Awesome! I will try some of these and see if it works!
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    You may need to use a burning application that supports burning in UDF.
    Again, thanks for the suggestions! I was able to use LiquidCD and burn it in the UDF Format. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem when I try to play it in the DVD player. When I put the copied DVD into the DVD player, it automatically tries to start playing it. Then the DVD player skips around the chapters without actually playing the video.

    Looking at the Info for the DVD's, they look identical, except the newly copied UDF disc now has an AUDIO_TS folder that's empty.

    Any other ideas of what I might be doing wrong during the burning process? I've ripped DVD's before and haven't had a problem. I just can't figure out what is making this different besides the fact that it's a DVD that was recorded on a DVD Recorder...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Explorer Case's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dtroitlions21 View Post
    I was able to use LiquidCD and burn it in the UDF Format. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problem when I try to play it in the DVD player. When I put the copied DVD into the DVD player, it automatically tries to start playing it. Then the DVD player skips around the chapters without actually playing the video.
    Does the copied disc play with a software player, e.g. Apple DVD Player, which is quite strict?

    Originally Posted by dtroitlions21
    the newly copied UDF disc now has an AUDIO_TS folder that's empty.
    This is normal, and wanted for compatibility. The DVD Specification actually says such a folder should be present on a DVD-Video disc, even empty and even though it is only used for DVD-Audio, a separate format audio disc that never gained much popularity. Extra folders won't harm playback.

    Originally Posted by dtroitlions21
    Any other ideas of what I might be doing wrong during the burning process? I've ripped DVD's before and haven't had a problem. I just can't figure out what is making this different besides the fact that it's a DVD that was recorded on a DVD Recorder...
    Could it be that the source disc was recorded on DVD-R or DVD-RW disc, instead of DVD+R or DVD+RW disc? That could matter as DVD Recorders may adhere to the "DVD-VR" or "DVD+VR" standard, and only the latter is DVD-Video compliant. A solution might be to extract all video as MPEG files and re-author as proper DVD-Video, if the problem is in the non-compliancy to the DVD-Video standard. But your first post suggests the disc was DVD-Video compliant.

    Are your blank discs any good? Could it be that your set top player simply has trouble reading the disc because of the quality of the disc? Does your set top player play any DVD-Video recorded on the exact same type of disc?
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads