VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, brand new here and clueless about the tech so please be gentle

I have a desktop pc with DVI-D and VGA outputs, and a monitor with a DVI-I input (monitor has a non-detachable DVI-I wire extending from it).

Is it possible to use them together, either with just DVI-D output or DVI-D and VGA.

I was told in a local computer shop (chain outlet with what I will kindly describe as 'less knowledgeable' staff) that a DVI-I monitor can only accept DVI-I source. However I see DVI-D male lead to DVI-I female and also DVI-D male and VGA male combining to a DVI-I female - both of which would physically fit.

Is this a viable option, or is the staff member correct that DVI-I monitor is essentially useless without a dedicated matching DVI-I output to feed into it?

Google searches have thrown up myriad references to a DVI-I output into a DVI-D input but not vice versa.

Any assistance would be very welcome.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. The most important issue is whether the monitor can accept the output of the graphics card. With that in mind, what PC model number and brand and what monitor model number and brand?
    Quote Quote  
  3. PC is a HP Pavilion P6-2312ea. Monitor is a Xerox, Product No is XA7-19i and Model No is 900P
    Quote Quote  
  4. The DVI-D connector on the PC has only digital output. A monitor with a DVI-I cable presumably accepts both digital and analog input. If the computer's DVI port doesn't have holes for the analog section of the cable you just need an adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DVI-I-DVI-D-Adapter-DVIIDVIDFM/dp/B002UANGL8/

That connects the DVI-D portion of the socket on the computer to the digital portion of the DVI-I cable.

There are also VGA to DVI-I adapters if you want to use the VGA port on the PC.
    Last edited by jagabo; 11th Dec 2016 at 07:43.
    Quote Quote  
  5. According to what I found, the PC can do DVI and VGA and the monitor, though old, can do either, too. You need an adapter called a DVI-I to D-SUB adapter that came with the monitor to connect it to the VGA port on the PC.
    Since the PC output port is marked as DVI-D, look at the actual port to check the pin layout. The picture on the HP site indicated as #4 on this page
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-p6-2300-Desktop-PC-series/5295969/mode...ent/c03650051/
    back I/O ports, single horizontal pin. If those do not match the pins on an adapter you are trying to use, then another adapter is need. Once the pins match, it should work with that monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  6. OK, I think I'm good to go. Relieved that (hopefully) this monitor should do the job for now.

Thank you both for the time and effort in helping me out, much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mp3juices.cc It is hard to say
    Last edited by miekiships; 27th Aug 2017 at 20:18.
    Quote Quote