VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I have two DVDs that insist on only showing Dutch subtitles in Media Player Classic HC (64bit, version 1.7.9).

If I try setting the subtitle language to English in Play - Subtitle Track, nothing happens (except if subtitles were off before, they get turned on, but always in Dutch).

If I try setting the subtitle language to English in the DVD menu itself, it shows English as subtitle until the movie starts - then it switches back to Dutch.

I've tried various settings where a default language can be picked, but nothing seems to work.

Anything I can try?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply, but this option doesn't exist in the version I use...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	39877

If I were to make changes here (like I did in the far right in Default Track Preference), would I have to restart MPC HC to make the change go in effect?
    Quote Quote  
  3. My MPC-HC doesn't show subs at all for DVDs unless I turn them on. My guess is that someone set the Dutch subs as forced. I take it this isn't a retail DVD?

Anyway, if I'm correct then PGCEdit is the program to use for this. You can either turn off forcing the Dutch subs or even make the English subs forced. Here's a guide:

http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/2cool/subtitles/subtitles_off_d...lt_pgcedit.htm

The GUI for PGCEdit has changed somewhat since that guide was written, so you might have to be somewhat flexible. Going through the guide I didn't see anything obvious that's changed. It may look a little bit daunting but the author is covering all the bases. For example, you probably won't have to deal with the 'Break' command which he spends considerable time 'fixing'.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's retail DVDs, and no, by default, subtitles are off until I select them. It's just weird to offer a choice of subtitles and then force the one. In fact, the DVD menu only shows English as an option, yet the subtitle that displays is Dutch when you play the movie... Probably a bad release then.

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh, I misunderstood then. You're saying there aren't any English subs at all, but only Dutch subs mislabeled as English?

PGCEdit can also tell you how many different languages of subs there are. If you want English but there are only Dutch, you might check with subbing sites to see if there are any English subs available anywhere, and then replace the Dutch subs with English ones.

A sticky in this forum lists a number of subtitle sites you might try:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/305253-Good-subtitle-sites
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The whole thing is weird...

The DVD menu has ONE set of subtitles - English. However, the language of the subtitle it displays when I play the movie is Dutch, and it even shows up as "Dutch" in the MPC subtitle list - which is missing English even though the DVD menu has it...

Well, I played with PGCEdit for a minute. It kept showing error after error, so I'm guessing the DVD was majorly messed up to begin with. I hit a button that looked like "Open" but actually meant "Save", so now the DVD is broken... Oops

I deleted the whole mess and found a new pre-ripped version instead.

Looks to me like they screwed up the rip majorly, so good riddance.

Thanks again for the help! At least now I know the program to try if I come across another DVD related problem, so thanks for that, too
    Quote Quote