VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Nothing terribly important, but curiously after using the same CMD line code I always do to archive Blu-rays, this time (perhaps it's last update?) MediaInfo shows one of the parameters as if it were set to 'Medium' instead of 'Slow' I just don't understand why it would be different THIS time...

Here is the CMD line code I used:

D:\EXECUTABLES\BD-RBV05020\BD_Rebuilder\Tools\x264-64.exe "F:\00004.m2ts" --profile high --level 4.1 --preset=slow --psy-rd 1.00:0.25 --deblock -3:-3 --trellis 2 --bluray-compat --vbv-maxrate 62500 --vbv-bufsize 78125 --crf 20 --output "C:\x\Encode.264"

This is the way the resulting file (264) reads with MediaInfo:

cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.25 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-4 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=1 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=1 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=78125 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=vbr / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

It's weird, everything else looks fine, but it ALWAYS shows the 'me' as being 'umh', which is correct for the 'slow' setting. But this time it shows it as 'hex'...??? I know I have 'bluray_compat=1 which DOES effect some of the hardware limiting parameters, but not that one.

Do you guys think that it is merely a bug in MediaInfo, or what...???

Like I say, nothing monumental, I am just really curious as to why that one parameter doesn't fit the preset (and don't make fun of my deblock and psy settings, okay...? )
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    me=hex describes the method of motion estimation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dougster View Post
    me=hex describes the method of motion estimation
    DOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Name:  doh.gif
Views: 1928
Size:  2.1 KB

Doug, man... seriously...? I appreciate the reply, but, uh, I do know what it does. What I am asking is that with the PRESET set to 'slow', it should result in an 'umh' encode, NOT a 'hex' encode.

I was just wondering why...

But, thanks though Bro!
    Quote Quote  
  4. MediaInfo can't be wrong on this report. All it's doing is displaying the plain text metadata that x264 writes to the file. Open the video in a hex editor and you'll see the text. A random x264 encoded video:

[Attachment 39880 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, no wonder... I knew something was different. Most interesting, thanks man!

Good to know too about the hex editor; I always wondered if there was a way to examine the video stream and determine what encoding parameters were used (when hidden) Thank you too jagabo!

Now, I'm kind of curious as to whether I should add 'me=umh' back in... hmmmmm.....
    Quote Quote