VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am transferring from Hi8 video to digital using Roxio Video Capture USB and my old video camera. The process has gone smoothly but I just hit a snag.

My older camera "failed" back in the day and started recording all the video in black and white. Once I discovered it I bought a new camera. However, I have hours of tape recorded in black and white. The capture software that came with the interface, Roxio Easy VHS to DVD3, won't capture the B&W feed. It will display the B&W video for a second or twothen it goes blank and states "No Video Signal"

Can anyone recommend a setting in the capture process that will allow it to capture the B&W video? If not, how about different capture software that will do so. I can say I have tried Corel VideoStudio Pro X7 and it does not recognize the Roxio capture hardware.

TIA, Steve
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Likely a hardware rather than software problem. There may be other irregularities in your monochrome signal that the converter won't handle. Add a TBC/frame sync or DVD recorder in passthrough mode ahead of the converter. Search this forum and you will find specific recommendations.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Agreed. Since a standard color signal = black & white signal + color difference/enhancement info, and if you have been successfully viewing b&w for a while, that should just mean you have b&w + 0 color (or inadequately retrieved color info).
    Try playing with different playback equipment to rule out bad interchange, bad playback amp, bad port. Then add tbc if necessary.

At very worst, you should still be able to to a "shoot the screen" method if the output is truly nonstandard to the point of non-capture-ability.

Scott
    Quote Quote