VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any problem with Youtube in these last weeks?

Before i got VP9 DASH (1080@60FPS) in any single video. But now i'm getting only crappy H264 DASH conversion with the same kind of conversion, length, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's probably a problem with the software you use, not Youtube. Try youtube-dl.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, i didnt explain myself properly.

I'm talking about the videos i'm uploading. Not videos i want to download.
    Quote Quote  
  4. How long did you wait? It can take some time before the VP9 and higher resolution streams appear. Sometimes days (maybe Youtube is indeed doing some changes at the moment that utilize their encoding queues?). I'm sure the problem will solve itself by waiting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    How long did you wait? It can take some time before the VP9 and higher resolution streams appear. Sometimes days (maybe Youtube is indeed doing some changes at the moment that utilize their encoding queues?). I'm sure the problem will solve itself by waiting.
    It usually takes just a few hours. I have some videos of the past week still in h264, and i doubt they will get converted to vp9.

It is strange.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's reasonable to assume that Youtube prioritizes videos that will get more views and use more bandwidth than something that will get a few views. As I can only expect VP9 encoding is more time consuming for Youtube than H264. So if your videos are not expected to get many views than it might be on the slow boat to VP9, or maybe never get converted.

Funny enough I recently encoded a video to VP9 and uploaded it to youtube. Which they converted to H264 and don't think it ever made it to VP9.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That never happened to me before.. Every single video before this month was converted to VP9, even private videos.

Well, it seems there's nothing i can do about it. It is probably a Youtube change.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I getting same problem. Since mid last year my videos hardly receiving VP9 version, and i talking about videos which reach 1k+ views. In past my videos which reached 1k+ views always were receiving VP9 encoding, i have 8 videos with 1k+ views posted after may-2016 and only two of them received VP9. The one with more views 3k+ which keep receiving 200 views monthly not received VP9 yet while the one video which received VP9 is almost dead on new views.

I see some channels with videos with less than 200 views receiving VP9 in the beginning of upload while my videos already have some age and higher amount of views and keep on H264 only.

There's a way to force getting VP9, you need to force Youtube reencoding your video then it will reencode all versions and most of time when forcing reencode Youtube deliver VP9 then. For me it works almost everytime i tried forcing reencode.

But yet i cant understand their algorithm logic to choose videos which take VP9 encoding.

Some stats from my channel.

Videos uploaded after 29 may 2016:
    i have 8 videos with 1000-4999 views and 2 of them has VP9.
    i have 10 videos with 500-999 views and 1 with VP9.

Videos uploaded before 28 may 2016:
    i have 17 videos with 1000-4999 views which 15 has VP9.
    I have 17 videos with 500-999 views which 13 of them received VP9.
    Last edited by chummy02; 28th Mar 2017 at 04:05.
    Quote Quote  
  9. This is an old thread but whatever.

There are more ways to get VP9 than to upload in 1440p.

So, here are the known ones;
    Rendering in 1440p
    Lots of views
    (?) Lots of subscribers

Some people just randomly get VP9 on their videos.

Here are the "secret" / "unknown" ways to get VP9.;
    (KIM) You don't need to render in 1440p or have a lot of views.
    1. Go to "Video Manager," find your video, click "Edit", click on the "Enhancements" tab, and drag the little preview slider all the way to the left. You don't touch anything else, just drag the slider to the left and click save changes. Your video should get VP9 soon.
    2. Enable Google Drive for your channel if it's not already. Go to Google Drive, click "Upload" and select the rendered video or just drag and drop into the general area, when it's done uploading, go to your YouTube, click "Upload", in the top right there should be something that says "Import Videos", click "Import", find your video and select it, when the video is done processing it will have VP9 in a little bit.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Walsh, i will try them.
    Quote Quote