VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Looking for a good software to compress BD Remuxes (untouched bit rate etc so full BD quality - i am sure you get what i mean) down to much smaller MKV's for consumption a Nook HD+

The Nook has a 9" screen and can play 1080P.

Goal is to get a good number of remuxes onto an microSD card - SD card is 64GB.

I am a newb to this so you guys know a whole lot more then me, so maybe you could recommend an approximate bitrate to aim for? I would like to keep file sizes to 2GB or a bit less, maybe 1.5GB. I would think AC3 audio for compatibility?

I know there are many programs to do this - my head is aching reading about them. I just dont know which one is a great one never having used them before.

So, whaich program will do what i want ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. OK so RipBot looks good. Is there any other out there that would be better or are they all pretty much the same?
    Quote Quote  
  3. They are mostly the same (relying on the same underlying encoding softwares). It comes down to personal preference.

Originally Posted by Rev Jim Jones View Post
    I am a newb to this so you guys know a whole lot more then me, so maybe you could recommend an approximate bitrate to aim for? I would like to keep file sizes to 2GB or a bit less, maybe 1.5GB. I would think AC3 audio for compatibility?
    File size = bitrate * duration

For best tablet compatibility use H.264 video + Stereo LC-AAC audio in mp4 container.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks sneaker.

WOW - go back to MP4 container. I thought MKV was the almost defacto standard now - but then again, as you say, all sorts of tablets and android phones will play MP4's. So that all makes sense.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, when using Android players like VLC or mx player you can also play almost anything. But MP4 is almost always supported. MP4 and MKV are both good containers. Both can hold H.264 video and have low overhead. So it doesn't really make a difference for you unless you want to insert multi-channel Dolby or DTS audio or embed subtitles. In that case I prefer MKV as well.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Some good advice there, thanks again.

I knew i came to the right place to ask.

Cheers and beers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    staxrip, vidcoder,ripbot are all good choices, theres also megui (personally dont like it) and Hybrid.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  8. thanks. Will check em out. From what i seen so far, ripbot is in active development. Thats got to be good if that becomes my platform of choice for this. looks to have been going for a long time already (years)
    Quote Quote  
  9. And Staxrip is now officially dead. Stax76 has left the project. So looks like Ripbot is the way to go now. I feel its important to use a program under active development.

What do you guys think ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Like StaxRip, RipBot is a one man project. If you are afraid of projects being abandoned you might want to choose projects with multiple programmers. (Like HandBrake?)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was surprised that it took this long for Handbrake to be recommended. I always thought it was the defacto standard for freeware conversion software.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well, VidCoder was mentioned. It is based on HandBrake.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Are all these programs basically the same? Ie, use the same encoding engine ?
    Quote Quote