VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I bought an Avermedia ExtremeCap U3 thinking of using it to stream from my set-top box to others two TVs, on my LAN.

I tried to achieve that with VLC but it didn't work "live", just transcoding, generating a 10 seconds delay, unacceptable to watch soccer, for example.

The card says to output h264/aac/1080p, but I can't make it work without transcoding.

Did I miss something? Is this possible?

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I believe that capture device outputs uncompressed video and audio. And it's Avermedia's software that encodes to h.264/aac. With 1080p60 VLC will be capturing uncompressed video and audio at about 2 Gb/s. Which is why you have to compress on the fly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi, jagabo

In that case, is it possible to encode in a format almost instantaneously, just like the Avermedia software does?

I mean, is there any specific codec or software that would take less than 1 second to encode and stream on LAN?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I' m thinking adapt a sling box

Or hdmi splitter and cables

Just tossing out ideas
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi theewizard,

Unfortunately I can't use other cables, except a near PC. That's why I tried streaming.

Is there any chance to minimize encoding time according to the capture card specs?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I read that VLC can use Intel's Quick Sync encoder (if you have an Intel CPU that includes it). That would be the fastest option. But encoding may not be the entire issue. There will always be some buffering in both the server and the client. Many clients will buffer several seconds before they start playing. Look to see if you can reduce that.

Or don't watch the live signal. Watch the streamed signal on all TVs. Then they'll all have about the same lag (again, depending on client side buffering).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for all the help. I will try VLC again.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Assuming you're using the h.264 encoder (x264)... Did you try using the "--tune zerolatency" option on the encoding computer? Using that setting and "--preset veryfast", streaming (a video file) via UDP from one computer (broadcast address) to another on the LAN, with the default cache settings on both the VLC server and VLC client, I was getting about a 1 second delay between display on the server and the client.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Dec 2016 at 12:05.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks a lot jagabo and theewizard.

It didn't work with VLC without transcoding, so I ended up using OBS Studio and Unreal Media Server with rtmp, and got 1~3 seconds delay, which is acceptable until I try something else again.

Thanks again, and happy 2017!
    Quote Quote