VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use plex in my house and i would love to convert my UHD discs to digital video files. i'm not seeing much on it, is it even possible to that? I haven't had to convert much of anything in a while, as lot of 1080p is streamed now. I read it is not possible to rip/convert UHD discs? if there is please point me to an article i would love to just start up my UHD movie in plex instead of using a UHD disc player.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, It isn't possible to rip them. There is no ripping software available for UHD Blu-ray. DVDFab has said they have no plans to create software for ripping UHD Blu-ray.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the content on the disc is not copyrighted, such as big buck bunny, you can make a video file by using a capture card such as timeleak-velocap's version of the hd4kpro pci-e capture card, assuming you have the rest of the hardware specs to do so. It is hdcp compliant, so shouldn't have trouble with your video player. Please do not make a copy of discs with copyrighted content (store bought disc with UHD file structure), that is illegal.

If this interests you have to contact timeleak directly to purchase:
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/timel2008?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I personally would not do what you're trying to do, too much hassle and expense and limited use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If the file is not copyrighted, it's generally much easier to just DL/copy (or even rip) and play the file directly rather than go to all that trouble of playing+capping/recording. Also much less time-consuming.
    And with hardware players of (supposedly) non-copyrighted UHD discs, there is still a very good chance that the players would put out HDCP regardless. And then you're screwed.

Not worth it that way, IMO.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also be aware that ezcapper is a shill. He has been using this forum as a product placement opportunity for various items made by Chinese companies, starting with his very first post here. He doesn't care anymore about intellectual property rights or breaking the law than the company making the product he is hawking here does. Velocap's only claim to fame is making products that ignore HDCP, which is why it is not legal to sell them in the USA.

[Edit]Also, UHD Blu Ray players apply HDCP 2.2. The $450 (ebay price) to $640 (Velocap's price) capture device being promoted here doesn't decode HDCP 2.2, only HDCP 1.x.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 6th Dec 2016 at 12:42. Reason: corrected price
    Quote Quote  
  6. Nope, not yet it isn't possible.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi, dear all.

@ usually_quiet

No, It isn't possible to rip them. There is no ripping software available for UHD Blu-ray

But, in a future, maybe it possible? Or such protection will be much more strong than regular blu-ray to the point to be "uncrackable"?

I wonder if any "company" or group ( like RedFox AnyDVD HD / MakeMKV developers ) will have interest or be able to crack such protections?

Or even some other new people that have the proper knowledge / tools to do it?

Imagine if big companies make pressure to shut down any developers site just like they did to former Slysoft?

Thanks.

devil ( johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 7th Dec 2016 at 20:26.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by devilcoelhodog View Post
    Hi, dear all.

@ usually_quiet

No, It isn't possible to rip them. There is no ripping software available for UHD Blu-ray

But, in a future, maybe it possible? Or such protection will be much more strong than regular blu-ray to the point to be "uncrackable"?

I wonder if any "company" or group ( like RedFox AnyDVD HD / MakeMKV dvelopers ) will have interest or be able to crack such protections?

Imagine if big companies make pressure to shut down any developers site just like they did to former Slysoft?

Thanks.

devil ( johner)
    All signs point to AACS 2.0 being much harder to crack. For one thing, there isn't much documentation about it available to anyone who is not an industry insider.

The amount of revenue received for doing all that hard work might not be worth the effort. Sales for UHD Blu-ray will be smaller than for Blu-ray.

Also there is no PC Blu-ray drive that has been given the ability to do the required AACS 2.0 authentication, and without it there is no possibility of ordinary consumers reading UHD discs with a computer.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Dec 2016 at 23:26. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hi, dear all.

@ usually_quiet

I wonder if any "company" or group ( like RedFox AnyDVD HD / MakeMKV dvelopers ) will have interest or be able to crack such protections?

Thanks.

devil ( johner)
    All signs point to AACS 2.0 being much harder to crack. For one thing, there isn't much documentation about it available to anyone who is not an industry insider.

The amount of revenue received for doing all that hard work might not be worth the effort. Sales for UHD Blu-ray will be smaller than for Blu-ray.

Also there is no PC Blu-ray drive that has been given the ability to do the required AACS 2.0 authentication, and without it there is no possibility of ordinary consumers reading UHD discs with a computer.
    Actually, Hitachi LG Data Storage has recently been given a license for BD-Rom 4.0, which means they will be able to produce a computer drive that can read the Ultra HD Blu-ray format, and PowerDVD has also received this license, so they will be making a version of their software to play this format on computers. http://www.myce.com/news/powerdvd-hitachi-lg-offer-first-ultra-hd-blu-ray-playback-pc-81033/
    Last edited by Kerry56; 8th Dec 2016 at 15:25.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Actually, Hitachi LG Data Storage has recently been given a license for BD-Rom 4.0, which means they will be able to produce a computer drive that can read the Ultra HD Blu-ray format, and PowerDVD has also received this license, so they will be making a version of their software play this format on computers. http://www.myce.com/news/powerdvd-hitachi-lg-offer-first-ultra-hd-blu-ray-playback-pc-81033/
    That is good news, but when did this happen? Three days ago I was searching for any sign of progress towards Cyberlink's goal of adding UHD Blu-ray playback to PowerDVD and found no such information.

Never mind. The information was posted just 3 days ago.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi, dear all.

Actually, Hitachi LG Data Storage has recently been given a license for BD-Rom 4.0, which means they will be able to produce a computer drive that can read the Ultra HD Blu-ray format, and PowerDVD has also received this license, so they will be making a version of their software play this format on computers.

Does it mean that if some companies producing a drive that can read / write Ultra HD Blu-ray on a PC and PowerDVD ( or even other few companies too ) receiving licenses to play such material it will be more "easy" to some developers trying to reverse engineering such things and try to crack any protection concerning that format?

Redfox give any interest doing that? Or even MakeMKV developers team? Maybe new developers will appear at some time, having interest to test and study such format /protections?

@ olddancer said:

I still can't find 50 gig Bluray disks to backup my 35 gig Bluray movies to. Where the heck are you going to find blank 100 gig disks?
    It took an hour to burn a 25 gig Bluray disk so a 100 gig disk would take 4 hours to burn a movie that can be watched in real time in 3 hours.
    Progress???

Well, lets hope that in some years ahead some drives get more fast and do not take so long time to write such material in big blank discs too.

Or hope this will happen some day also.

Thanks.

devil ( johner)
    Last edited by devilcoelhodog; 8th Dec 2016 at 07:30.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You can be sure RedFox will be interested in cracking and will take a look to see if the new PowerDVD has any weaknesses. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will actually find any such weakness in the near future - or at all. It is no use to speculate. I recommend you do not buy any hardware now in the hope there will be a crack anytime soon.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, dear all.

@ usually_quiet

Thanks.

devil ( johner)

Things have changed now. The LG and Asus Blu-Ray drives can read 4K UHD discs. I have the LG one.

To play 4K UHD Blu-Ray you'll need the following (no other option at this time):

1) Windows 10

2) An Intel Kaby Lake CPU

3) Use the Intel Kaby Lake's Integrated Graphics

4) Install CyberLink PowerDVD 17

As I understand, this it won't work with Broadwell-E, Ryzen CPUs. I could be wrong though.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    You can be sure RedFox will be interested in cracking and will take a look to see if the new PowerDVD has any weaknesses. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will actually find any such weakness in the near future - or at all. It is no use to speculate. I recommend you do not buy any hardware now in the hope there will be a crack anytime soon.
    PowerDVD version 17 just launched. It's the very first one that can read 4K UHD Blu-Ray discs. Refer to my previous post above for the min system requirements.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cyclonite View Post
    Things have changed now. The LG and Asus Blu-Ray drives can read 4K UHD discs.
    I wouldn't be sure of that. We discussed that and other requirements in the other thread. (if we say read = decrypt/play)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    double posted by mistake
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Apr 2017 at 10:41.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cyclonite View Post

@ usually_quiet

Things have changed now. The LG and Asus Blu-Ray drives can read 4K UHD discs. I have the LG one.

To play 4K UHD Blu-Ray you'll need the following (no other option at this time):

1) Windows 10

As I understand, this it won't work with Broadwell-E, Ryzen CPUs. I could be wrong though.
    I already know. We've been discussing the availability of a Pioneer UHD Blu-Ray Blu-ray drive and PowerDVD 17 for a few weeks in another thread. Only some Kaby Lake CPUs and some Kaby Lake compatible motherboards meet the specs

Which LG and Asus Blu-Ray drives can read 4K UHD discs? There has been no announcement of release dates for a UHD Blu-ray drive by either company, only Pioneer so far.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Apr 2017 at 10:07.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM

@ usually_quiet

1) Windows 10

I already know. We've been discussing the availability of a Pioneer UHD Blu-Ray Blu-ray and PowerDVD 17 for a few weeks in another thread. Only some Kaby Lake CPUs and some Kaby Lake compatible motherboards meet the specs

Which LG and Asus Blu-Ray drives can read 4K UHD discs? There has been no announcement of release date for a UHD Blu-ray drive by either company, only Pioneer so far.

Apologies for posting on the wrong thread. Both of these drives work:

1) LG BH16NS55.AUAR10B

2) ASUS BW-16D1HT/BLK/G/AS

Both of these are triple layer BDXL drives. I have the LG and it can open the disc and read the file structure.

I also have the slightly older Panasonic UJ-265 which is also triple layer BDXL but it is unable to even detect the discs.

To be honest, I haven't had the time to try playing a 4K UHD Blu Ray disc with the LG drive and PowerDVD 17 yet. I intend to try that tonight or this weekend if and can let you know my findings if you're interested?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by cyclonite View Post
    I intend to try that tonight or this weekend if and can let you know my findings if you're interested?
    Yes, that would be interesting. So far I've read conflicting information.

Cyberlink also has a testing software, not sure if it covers the drive, though.
    https://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do
    Quote Quote  
  20. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Is there any relationship between the drive and the DRM scheme, or is it just required that the drive physically be able to read the pits?

I managed to kill my portable BD-RE by accidentally unplugging it while it was burning. I saw this when researching replacements:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/for-LG-HL-BU40N-Laptop-4K-Ultra-HD-UHD-6X-3D-...784564757.html
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Is there any relationship between the drive and the DRM scheme, or is it just required that the drive physically be able to read the pits?

I managed to kill my portable BD-RE by accidentally unplugging it while it was burning. I saw this when researching replacements:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/for-LG-HL-BU40N-Laptop-4K-Ultra-HD-UHD-6X-3D-...784564757.html
    DRM is the main issue. An ordinary Blu-ray drive can only perform AACS 1.0 authentication. The drive needs the ability to perform AACS 2.0 authentication to decrypt UHD Blu-ray. Adding AACS 2.0 requires the maker to acquire an additional license for the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I intend to try that tonight or this weekend if and can let you know my findings if you're interested?
    Yes, that would be interesting. So far I've read conflicting information.

Cyberlink also has a testing software, not sure if it covers the drive, though.
    https://www.cyberlink.com/prog/bd-support/diagnosis.do

Yeah I agree it can be frustrating reading conflicting information. Leave this with me. Since we know that my CPU, GPU, OS and Software (PowerDVD 17) meet the requirements, the only variable left is the drive itself. I'll do this and let you know.

Meanwhile, are you familiar with this PowerDVD software at all? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are only a handfull of motherboards that meet all the specifications as laid down by Power DVD 17 to play Ultra HD Bluray.Example the Gigabyte gaming 8 and 9 mother boards.Ultra dvd has to be played using the Boards internal graphics,only a few boards support HDMI 2 and content protection 2.2. will work.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/PowerDVD

Requirements for Ultra HD Bluray

Ultra HD Blu-ray: Intel 7th generation (Kaby Lake) Core i processors integrated with Intel HD Graphics 630, Intel Iris™ Graphics 640.

Note: Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only if a display is powered by Intel Graphics and supports HDCP 2.2. If your computer includes more than one graphics processor, Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only on the display that is connected and powered by Intel Graphics.

Ultra HD Blu-ray:Ultra HD Blu-ray A mainboard is required which supports the Intel Software Guard Extensions (Intel SGX) technology. The Intel SGX feature needs to be enabled in the BIOS* settings and allocated with 128 MB or above memory space. To view the HDR 10 effect of Ultra HD Blu-ray movies, a mainboard that supports exporting HDR 10 signal is required.

Note: To output Ultra HD Blu-ray movies to an external display, the connection port embedded on the mainboard must support HDCP 2.2. For laptop PCs, please refer to the specification of your laptop to see if the external display connection (HDMI/DisplayPort) supports HDCP 2.2 output.

Ultra HD Blu-ray:

Display device with HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 connection interface, and must support HDCP 2.2.
    Screen resolution: Ultra HD resolution (3840 x 2160).

Display connection: HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.3 version cable without any adapters/splitters/repeaters.

Note: To enable the High Dynamic Range (HDR) feature of Ultra HD Blu-ray movies, the display device must support the HDR display feature and 10-bit color depth display capability with an HDMI 2.0a/DisplayPort 1.4 connection interface. If your display device or GPU doesn't support the HDR feature, PowerDVD will play back the Ultra HD Blu-ray movie under Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) mode.
    Last edited by isapc; 21st Apr 2017 at 18:18.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by isapc View Post
    There are only a handfull of motherboards that meet all the specifications as laid down by Power DVD 17 to play Ultra HD Bluray.Example the Gigabyte gaming 8 and 9 mother boards.Ultra dvd has to be played using the Boards internal graphics,only a few boards support HDMI 2 and content protection 2.2. will work.
    OK noted but I don't understand this because the internal graphics resides on the CPU not on the motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Intel SGX needs to be supported by the mainboard and activated. Also at least HD 630 is required. So "only" Kaby Lake is not necessarily sufficient.

I think last time I used PowerDVD was years ago. Too much hassle with bugs and (paid) updating. Cheaper and less annoying to get a standalone DVD or Blu-ray player. Might be the same for UltraHD Blu-ray in the long run.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Intel SGX needs to be supported by the mainboard and activated. Also at least HD 630 is required. So "only" Kaby Lake is not necessarily sufficient.

I think last time I used PowerDVD was years ago. Too much hassle with bugs and (paid) updating. Cheaper and less annoying to get a standalone DVD or Blu-ray player. Might be the same for UltraHD Blu-ray in the long run.
    Ahh OK I didn't realise that.

Well I've just tried it and got the "A disc with an unsupported format in drive." error. I can view the folder structure in windows explorer though. Does this mean I need to purchase a new blu-ray drive?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK noted but I don't understand this because the internal graphics resides on the CPU not on the motherboard.
    Kaby Lake doesn't natively support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, only HDMI 1.4 and HDCP 1.4. To get an HDMI 2.0 and 2.2 connection it is necessary to add an LSPCON (level shifter protocol converter) to the motherboard itself, which converts display port 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 and adds HCCP 2.2. An external display port 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 converter won't work because Kaby Lake's display port 1.2 is limited to HDCP 1.4 without the LSPCON. Very few motherboards have added HDMI 2.0.

Well I've just tried it and got the "A disc with an unsupported format in drive." error. I can view the folder structure in windows explorer though. Does this mean I need to purchase a new blu-ray drive?
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kaby Lake doesn't natively support HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, only HDMI 1.4 and HDCP 1.4. To get an HDMI 2.0 and 2.2 connection it is necessary to add an LSPCON (level shifter protocol converter) to the motherboard itself, which converts display port 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 and adds HCCP 2.2. An external display port 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 converter won't work because Kaby Lake's display port 1.2 is limited to HDCP 1.4 without the LSPCON. Very few motherboards have added HDMI 2.0.

Yes.
    Ahh thanks. I didn't know these. I've learned a lot today thanks to you guys.

Is there a quick way to tell whether my motherboard supports SGX? HWInfo shows SGX as Green but I'm not sure whether it takes the mobo into consideration or just reports from the CPU. Is there a good tool that I can use to check this?

Back to this HDMI 2.0 thing, my mobo specs doesn't say what version it is. Is there a software that can check this?

Lastly, does this mean that DisplayPort can't be used to play 4K UHD Blu-Ray discs?

Thanks a bunch!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a quick way to tell whether my motherboard supports SGX? HWInfo shows SGX as Green but I'm not sure whether it takes the mobo into consideration or just reports from the CPU. Is there a good tool that I can use to check this?
    As far as I know, it is necessary to look through the BIOS for a setting that turns SGX on or off.

Back to this HDMI 2.0 thing, my mobo specs doesn't say what version it is. Is there a software that can check this?
    You can check your motherboard manual for the HDMI connection's refresh rate at 3840x2160 resolution. If it doesn't say 3840x2160 at 60Hz, it isn't HDMI 2.0.

Lastly, does this mean that DisplayPort can't be used to play 4K UHD Blu-Ray discs?
    I am afraid so. I already explained that display port 1.2 doesn't support HDCP 2.2, so display port 1.2 on the motherboard won't work, and you can't use currently use a discrete video card to display 4K UHD Blu-Ray. The newest video cards have display port 1.3 and HDCP 2.2.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Apr 2017 at 21:48. Reason: refresh rate not frame rate
    Quote Quote  
  30. I suspect 4k Bluray uptake will be fairly slow, and I wonder if it remains un-rippable if that'll slow the uptake even further. It'll be interesting to see if 4k Bluray is DRM'd out of the market (I'm not saying 4k in general will never take off).
    Last edited by hello_hello; 22nd Apr 2017 at 00:08.
    Quote Quote