VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    looking to rip tv season dvds but am having trouble ripping the dvds into small high quality files
    Quote Quote  
  2. You'll get better advice if you're more specific: just saying you want "high quality small files" is too vague. What is your primary end use, and why do you particularly need small files? Are you ripping these episodes to store on a home media server for TV viewing? Or do you need files to view on a portable device like a phone or tablet? Or do you want one set of compromise files to serve both purposes? How picky are you about picture quality, and what picture flaws bother you most?

Files for TV viewing from a media server don't need to be ridiculously small, striking a good balance between storage practicality and video quality is the best bet. Files for a portable device, esp a phone, can be much smaller. Other issues come into it, such as compatibility (HEVC files can be very small while retaining good quality, but aren't widely supported yet by devices and they take a long time to create).

Your thoughts on these points will help refine the answers you receive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just decrypt them to the hard drive individually. No reencoding. Can't get any higher quality than that.

How you decrypt the episodes depends on how they were authored. Frequently each VTS contains an episode. That's the easiest. Only slightly less easy is when you have multiple titles within a single VTS. The only real tricky one is if you have only a single title within a single VTS and it has all the episodes in it.

But you provided no information about that so one can only guess. And if you want to shrink the size of each episode, then there's lots of available software for that, but you didn't give an idea, either, about what you wanted to end up with.
    Last edited by manono; 1st Dec 2016 at 00:27.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I would like to find a easy way to rip and encode the files so that they retain good quality yet are the smallest size that can be achieved these files will be on a media pc
    Quote Quote  
  5. HandBrake (/Vidcoder) let you select on both title and chapter level (see manono's post) and queque them. You need to find a RF value that suits your need as well as a deecrypted HDD version or having AnyDVD running in the background.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HB.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	39758
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HB.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	39757  

Last edited by videobruger; 1st Dec 2016 at 04:54. Reason: Tried to replace image - not successfulk
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    yes i used this but the file size is like 700+ mb i am trying to get it down to a max size of 300 mb per episode and my ideal size would from 150 to 200 mb
    Quote Quote  
  7. Try a higher RF value and/or use h.265 for Video Codec if supported by your media PC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    when you say RF value what do you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  9. "Constant Quality" on the "Video" tab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	h265.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	39759
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thomasx View Post
    I would like to find a easy way to rip and encode the files so that they retain good quality yet are the smallest size that can be achieved these files will be on a media pc
    Why must they be 'smallest' size? How big a hard drive is in your 'media pc' that you cant have "uncompressed" rips? Get a bigger hard drive.

I have used dvdshrink (rarely) to rip individual segments from 'series' tv dvds, (most notably 'Incident at Owl Creek Bridge' from 'The Twilight Zone' <-best one ever!!) (just had to plug it!!)

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote