VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Can anyone happen to make out the plate of the black Lincoln that comes in front of the store? Video below
    Last edited by NateTheGreat; 28th Nov 2016 at 17:50.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Not a chance. Unless you have a much better clip.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is this a joke?? There is 0.00% chance of seeing anything, given how little resolution your video has, and how lousy the lens is. Heck, I could barely even tell where the license plate was located, much less what was on it.

We need to have some sort of FAQ about license plate identification because this comes up every week, and I'm not sure, even when the video is 100x better than this, that anyone has actually ever provided a definitely identification of any of the plates submitted.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Next time i'll make sure it is crystal clear and easily read before asking any of you "experts" for help or advice.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it's crystal clear and easily read they you won't need any help from our experts.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    If it's crystal clear and easily read they you won't need any help from our experts.
    This made my day..thanks!!!
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by NateTheGreat View Post
    Next time i'll make sure it is crystal clear and easily read before asking any of you "experts" for help or advice.
    Don't get so sarcastic: most people here (including me) really do try to help. The problem is, there is absolutely no detail in those images that can be used as a starting point for any enhancement.

You can't get something out of nothing.

The magic you see in the movies is just that: magic. You can't actually do any of it. However, all of us have seen these examples of legerdemain so often that many people actually believe it can be done.

Sadly none of it is real and all of what you see in the clips from dozens of movies and TV shows found in the following oft-cited, somewhat humorous example, is bogus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk
    Last edited by johnmeyer; 28th Nov 2016 at 18:58. Reason: removed repeated phrase
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Precisely
    Everything said is true
    If security cam video could capture license plates and good faces
    The police would not be asking for citizens help in almost every news cast
    If places used $1000 cameras instead of $49 cameras
    And good lenses, higher resolution etc...

There would be a better chance of maybe enhancing it...maybe
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Originally Posted by NateTheGreat View Post
    Don't get so sarcastic: most people here (including me) really do try to help. The problem is, there is absolutely no detail in those images that can be used as a starting point for any enhancement.

You can't get something out of nothing.

The magic you see in the movies is just that: magic. You can't actually do any of it. However, all of us have seen these examples of legerdemain so often that many people actually believe it can be done.

Sadly none of it is real and all of what you see in the clips from dozens of movies and TV shows found in the following oft-cited, somewhat humorous example, is bogus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk
    My favorite movie shown in the clip is No Way Out where they put a blurred photo uploaded to a computer and it takes 48 hours to unblur,people believe this to be a way to fix their own photos/videos.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by NateTheGreat View Post
    Nate, seeing you are a new member, welcome to a forum where the "experts" (honestly, there are no real experts on this forum, just some hobbyists who take themselves far too seriously) are often insulting versus accommodating to new and old users alike. It takes a pretty thick hide to endure the hazing. I would apologize for my fellow members' snark if I thought it would do any good, but it won't. In fact, this post will likely be construed as flaming.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jagabo is one of the few who has ever manged to recover any useful information from video posted with any of these requests, so I'd say that qualifies him to make a summary judgement on such matters.

SameSelf comes here mainly to troll and post snarky criticisms of the forum.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. I haven't seen the video, and now it's removed. I saw the thumbnail though - it was terrible.

What do you experts think of SmartDeblur (aka, blind deconvolution)?

https://github.com/Y-Vladimir/SmartDeblur (free)
    http://smartdeblur.net/ (paid w/ free trial)
    Quote Quote  
  13. The problem with the OP's video wasn't that it was blurred. The license plate was too small in the frame and detail had been obliterated by compression. Here's a crop of a frame with one of the best shots of the license plate:

[Attachment 39767 - Click to enlarge]

From one of your links:

It is well seen that addition of even a very small noise causes serious distortions, which fact substantially limits application of the method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes there are de-blurring algorithms that work(google just developed a great one), BUT like jagabo says it's a matter of number of pixels the program has to work with. a 10 megapixel image is vastly different than trying to get a 10 pixel by 20 pixel license plate readable.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote