VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    hello there,

I've picked up a Panasonic Fs200 from Ebay. The picture is "ok" but it has 3 issues I was hoping for advice on :

1 - the Hi-Fi audio seems not to be working properly - very distorted on left channel and very quiet on the right. Is there anything I could do as a simple check/fix? I've tried cleaning the heads.

2 - The machine makes a bit of a squeak as it takes in the tape and laces it - I guess worn belts?

3- The SMELL. It has an electronic/old smell which is quite noticeable once it's been on for a little while. What could that be?

many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

t
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best thing to do is take the top off and clean the heads. Find your nearest Apotheke that sells Isopropanol (mine says 70%) since "rubbing alcohol" that is so common in the US is virtually unheard of here in Deutschland.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Yeah I've cleaned the heads. I went to Konrad and bought some head cleaning fluid. Unfortunately it hasn't helped.

There was some dirt but not much. Even the self cleaning arm was not too filthy. I just think the machine has never been maintained - hence the electric old smell. Popped capacitors?

Know any good repair places.? There is a company called Positron near Munich I'm aware of but not sure of reviews.
    Last edited by Topsy; 28th Nov 2016 at 15:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are a couple of sellers on Ebay(Germany) who have been around for a long time with great feedback......they also appear to refurbish the machines that they sell. You may want to try and contact them if they can look at it. Just do an advanced search in Ebay for s-vhs, Germany, and sort by highest price.....you'll see them on there.
    Quote Quote