VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a bunch of mp4/mov files of family videos from over the years, i was toying with the idea of putting a time/data stamp on the videos with Visual MP4/MOV Time Stamp but some don't like that because it will always be there.

Am i the only one that wants to know what year it was recorded? Some of the people in the videos are no longer around if there is know year/month stamped on the video in another 10 years you will have no idea when it was.

Is there another way to put the dates in the videos without it always being there?
    Quote Quote  
  2. soft subs, eg. srt . Doesn't degrade the video, and you can toggle on/off

timedatesrtcreator , or create your own

https://www.videohelp.com/software/TimeDateSRTCreator
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/timedatesrtcreator/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Even simpler: add the date/time to the video file name, e.g., "John's first baseball game, 1992-05-03".

If the video file is really long and has multiple segments, recorded at different times, just add a text file to the same folder where the video file resides. Name that text file with the same name as the video file, e.g., "John's sports.txt".

I would strongly recommend against adding permanent subtitles to the video. That is a huge mistake. I can't tell you how many times clients have given me videos that contain a permanent date/time code that cameras used to add to the video and they want it removed because it is so distracting and awful looking. I can use something like "Delogo" to erase that date/time information, but it leaves a residual blur. The video can never be made whole again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Even simpler: add the date/time to the video file name, e.g., "John's first baseball game, 1992-05-03".
    Yes. Even better, put the date at the start of the filename and they will sort in chronological order.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    Even simpler: add the date/time to the video file name, e.g., "John's first baseball game, 1992-05-03".
    Yes, but I'd started with date: "1992-05-03 John's first baseball game" in that year, month, day format so browsers, players would line it up by the date. That format might not by a norm outside of US but I'd do it like that anyway. And I'd make clips, videos shorter, especially after editing, like chapters if surroundings or subject changes a bit.
    "1992-05-03 01 John's first baseball game preparation"
    "1992-05-03 02 John's first baseball game"
    "1992-05-03 03 John's first baseball game after"
    I grew up on the farm, you have to catalough and sort out s*** constantly, otherwise you do not know what you have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good Idea. And if you're making a dvd, create a separate tittle with just the date and preseed the main tittle with the date tittle when Authoring. No degradation of quality that way.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes. Even better, put the date at the start of the filename and they will sort in chronological order.
    Yes, that is why I wrote the date in that non-standard way: it is not how it is done here in the USA, nor in Europe, but it guarantees that it will be sorted correctly. The other thing you should do is to always pad both the month and day numbers with a leading zero, e.g., 1992-02-07 rather than 1992-2-7.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Year month day format is standard in most Australian PVR's naming of recorded files - I think it is the Chinese standard? Anyway makes for sorting a lot easier.

example 20141209 2129 - ABC - At The Movies Farewell Special.ts so 2014 year, 12 December, Day 9 and recorded at 21:29 time
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote