VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Quick question, normally the TY discs I would get are the premium silver thermal lacquer 8x with the TYg02 media code and the media code was also printed on the cake box

I came across the exact same discs with JVC cake box packaging and pro use listed but no media code printed on this case label (made in Japan was also listed on the label). However it mentions they have a code of TY6008. Are these legit discs? Are they the same premium or possibly a slightly lesser quality value version of the media I listed above?

I have not been able to find any info on a TY discs with a TY6008 media code
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Haven't heard that code either. If they are made in Japan, then they should be legitimate. TY quit making optical discs last year and sold their MID codes, dye formulas and most everything else to CMC Magnetics, but CMC doesn't have a plant in Japan, only China and Taiwan to my knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Might need to correct in myself in that the number is possibly a model/sku, however still begs the question of no media code listed on the cake box, should I be suspect of these discs despite the Japan JVC packaging?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    Might need to correct in myself in that the number is possibly a model/sku, however still begs the question of no media code listed on the cake box, should I be suspect of these discs despite the Japan JVC packaging?

Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    Haven't heard that code either. If they are made in Japan, then they should be legitimate. TY quit making optical discs last year and sold their MID codes, dye formulas and most everything else to CMC Magnetics, but CMC doesn't have a plant in Japan, only China and Taiwan to my knowledge.
    I have a few stockpiled so to speak but I wanted to grab a few more before I cannot find them at all

Had to make a correction listed above, but odd that no media code is listed on the package at all which makes me very suspect of these discs
    Last edited by mazinz; 26th Nov 2016 at 18:01.
    Quote Quote  
  5. personally, i'd be suspicious. taiyo yuden as we knew it no longer exists. so far, the cmc product is a crapshoot, as in there is not enough current data from users to know anything definite. i used the same discs as you, but have gone over to the good verbatims & have had no problems so far. you didn't mention where you found these discs. if you got them at best buy, or something like that, they're probably fakes. and if they are fakes, why wouldn't the maker put "made in japan" on the label? i would.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by majormulatto View Post
    personally, i'd be suspicious. taiyo yuden as we knew it no longer exists. so far, the cmc product is a crapshoot, as in there is not enough current data from users to know anything definite. i used the same discs as you, but have gone over to the good verbatims & have had no problems so far. you didn't mention where you found these discs. if you got them at best buy, or something like that, they're probably fakes. and if they are fakes, why wouldn't the maker put "made in japan" on the label? i would.
    The usual media stores are def now all CMC and noted as such (as well as packaging). The ones I was curious about I found on eBay since you can still find the proper jvc versions on there (at least for now). Everything was exact the same except no media code listed on the cake box. I bought some last night and took a gamble. As a side note I did find the proper tyg02 8x like I have now and snagged them. For the other gamble could be some sort of stock photo they are using. At any rate will report back once they come in and let you know
    Quote Quote  
  7. Update- the gamble discs came in today and they are indeed the proper Jvc tyg02 media. They also shipped inside the normal Jvc box they would come in. It seems the photo used is a "generic" Jvc TY cake box. Glad I took the gamble because they are now gone with this seller
    Quote Quote