VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi
    I recording alot of TV-show with my TV-card on my computer.
    Before I have no problem with that because it recording in MPEG-1/2 Video and MPEG Audio layer 1/2 with burn in subtitles.

But now when I recording History Channel or Decovery Channel I get H264 - MPEG4-4 AVC and MPEG AAC Audio.

But that is cool, I can convert that too BUT I have big problem with the subtitle that is now teletext.

I have search here and other places and try diffrents tutorial but have never got it to work.

I was thinking to try again this weekend so is that any tutorial that make it easy to convert .TS file with subtitle to MP4 or MKV
    I don't care if I have to make it burn in, I just want to watch the show om my Plex system
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cazz View Post
    Hi
    I recording alot of TV-show with my TV-card on my computer.
    Before I have no problem with that because it recording in MPEG-1/2 Video and MPEG Audio layer 1/2 with burn in subtitles.

But now when I recording History Channel or Decovery Channel I get H264 - MPEG4-4 AVC and MPEG AAC Audio.

But that is cool, I can convert that too BUT I have big problem with the subtitle that is now teletext.

I have search here and other places and try diffrents tutorial but have never got it to work.

I was thinking to try again this weekend so is that any tutorial that make it easy to convert .TS file with subtitle to MP4 or MKV
    I don't care if I have to make it burn in, I just want to watch the show om my Plex system
    The subtitles might not really be teletext. DVB can use graphics-based subtitles, similar to the subtitles provided for Blu-ray or DVD. The latest version of Subtitle Edit can supposedly open and perform on OCR DVB subtitles embedded inside .ts files. Have you tried that yet? Unfortunately I can't tell you how to use this feature because N. America uses a different type of captioning/subtitling for TV broadcasts.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi and thanks for the replay

I did download Subtitle edit and install it.
    When I then try to open TS file it say no subtitle.

/Update

The info about the file tell me this

Text
    ID : 352 (0x160)-691
    Menu ID : 3 (0x3)
    Format : Teletext Subtitle
    Codec ID : 6
    Language : Swedish
    Last edited by Cazz; 25th Nov 2016 at 14:43.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can edit and demux in TSDoctor. This is the modern replacement for ProjectX which unfortunately won't handle H264 just MPEG2 and any audio and subtitles.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the response.
    I Think I have try both software but is that any very good and easy tutorial to use?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CCExtractor GUI is another program which is supposed to work for extracting teleext subtitles from DVB TS files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't know if this is useful info, but I have a $30 Ematic on-air recorder. I've had it about a year and it still works good. It records a transport stream (ts) file in whatever resolution that is broadcast by the on-air broadcaster (you can't change that). Here is a 18 second sample with the srt file that is generated by putting the ts file into CCExtractor:
    http://files.videohelp.com/u/61125/WOSU.zip
    The whole thing usually works flawlessly. I have included 4 screenshots with red circles to detail the settings in CCExtractor. Depending on the show, sometimes I have to tick "rollup captions". In this case, it was necessary to do so, otherwise some of the words repeat. After I get the captions from CCExtractor, I usually put the ts file into Vidcoder to turn into a smaller h264 mp4 file.
    CCExtractor won't work (can't get any captions) on the mp4 file from Vidcoder.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	39681  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	39682  

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	39683  

Name:	Clipboard04.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	39684  

Last edited by jimdagys; 25th Nov 2016 at 20:45.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Cazz The poster above is extracting CEA-608 closed captions, not teletext. You don't have wtv files, so don't bother checking that box. The "Rollup" section doesn't apply to teletext, so you don't need to check any boxes there. In other words, much in the post above is not useful.

See the general advice at http://www.ccextractor.org/doku.php?id=public:general:win_gui_usage
    Settings pertaining to teletext are on the "Decoders" tab. You can probably de-select the default settings for 608 captions. If you have unwanted line duplication for teletext, the settings under "Teletext Line Duplication" should be used to address them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For PAL TV land - use either ProjectX for standard definition file ie mpeg2 video plus audio plus DVD subs as SRT (in Australia located on page 801 - in Sweden ???) For Standard or High definition Broadcasts ie MP4 H264 video plus audio and subs either VideoRedo or TSDoctor will demux and do a few other fixes. Closed captions are not used in PAL TV countries. DVB subs are text. ProjectX will decode them as SRT or on the fly convert them with colour attributes and a range of subtitle formats. TSDoctor similar, not sure on VideoRedo.

I've tried ccextractor on local TV digital TV transmissions and it really doesn't work. So my guess is the Swedish transmission system is not much different. Ours is based on the German system (with a few changes). TSDoctor and ProjectX were designed for European TV and both work well on Australian files. For what it's worth TSMuxer in demux mode doesn't detect or find subtitles on Australian TV TS files and I doubt if it would on any European TV file. There is no provision to instruct which page number to use in TSMuxer.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replay
    I have now try with ccextractor but can't got it to work.

When I got to "Decoders" tab and use "Autodetect teletext" it create a .SRT file but nothing is inside.
    if I look inside VLC I can see it use channel 691 so in the "Decoders" tab I write 691 in the "....and extract data from PID"
    But then it does not create any .SRT file at all
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok I have try again with TSDoctor and what I can see ut can find the teletext.
    Is not so much I can do, I skip the cut and just save as new file.
    it create Three files for me, a .TS file and two textfile.
    But the .TS file have now no teletext and the textfile is just some kind of log files
    Quote Quote  
  12. @Cazz
    Can you upload a small sample somewhere?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately I've never found a guide explaining how to use CCExtractor for teletext, and I don't have access to DVB transmissions.

CCExtractor may or may not work for teletext, but it is not as if somebody in the US is responsible for creating this software. Carlos, CCExtractor's developer, is based in Spain, so he should have plenty of DVB material to work with for testing the portions of his program that deal with teletext. He has noted that he based his teletext processing on Petr Kutalek's telxcc.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right now I try something
    I use TSDoctor to remove the TV advertising and I have find how I can extract subtitle from TS file to SRT with help of ProjectX

Now I going to try how I can create a finnish MKV file with subtitle

/Update
    I have notice it extract the subtitle with ProjectX but no timeline?

every line start with
    00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:00,000
    Last edited by Cazz; 26th Nov 2016 at 10:15.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    video.baba:
    I upload now a Little clip of my TS file that I have cut with TSDoctor but it take a little time

/Update
    Here it is
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3uqfa_wFdMOUlZ1VnhVd3dQV1k/view?usp=sharing
    Last edited by Cazz; 26th Nov 2016 at 12:10. Reason: I change the file to not so big file :)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if I replay to myself but it feel wrong to edit the last one all the time

I did find how to extract the subtitle from TSDoctor to SRT and the right now and now it works.

I extract the TS to TS and SRT after that I did use mkvmerge to create a MKV file and I also remove the subtitle inside the TS file.

I only use TS and SRT inside the MKV file if I just want to watch the episode on my Plex system.
    If that is something I like to save then I use VidCoder to convert TS to something and then add it inside a MKV with the subtitle.

I wonder if I can create a script that use TSDoctor to extract the SRT file.

/Update

Did find that it can run script to Control TSDoctor so now I have a script that make a MKV file with TS and SRT inside
    Last edited by Cazz; 26th Nov 2016 at 14:14.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM

I did find how to extract the subtitle from TSDoctor to SRT and the right now and now it works.

I extract the TS to TS and SRT after that I did use mkvmerge to create a MKV file and I also remove the subtitle inside the TS file.

I only use TS and SRT inside the MKV file if I just want to watch the episode on my Plex system.
    If that is something I like to save then I use VidCoder to convert TS to something and then add it inside a MKV with the subtitle.

I'm happy that you found a way to make TSDoctor work for converting teletext to SRT subtitles.

Here is a quote from TS-Doctor's FAQs:
    3.5 Is it possible to start the TS-Doctor with parameter (command line)?
    Even the ts-doctor is a graphical application, it can be also used by command line for batch processing.
    For [Input Filename] wildcards can be used, too. For example *.ts oder REC000.*
    If wildcards are used for [Input Filename] then [Output Filename] will interpretted as folder.

TSDoctor.exe [Input Filename] [Command] [Option] [Output Filename]
    Command: AUTOFIX (starts automatically the fixing of a file)
    Command: AUTOCHECK (starts automatically the checking of a file)
    Command: AUTOBATCH (starts automatically the batch processing of the internal batch list)
    Option: CROP=X (Crops the beginning of the file X MBytes on opening)
    Option: LOG (Creates a log file)

Example:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypheros\TSDoctor\TSDoctor.exe" "D:\recordings today\*.ts" Autofix "D:\archive\"
    It looks that only some of TS-Doctor's features are available via a command line, and subtitle processing is not among them. Maybe someone in one of the TS-Doctor's forums at their website knows a work-around. Perhaps the internal batch list can be used for subtitle processing.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Nov 2016 at 14:20.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually_quiet:
    Thanks for the replay but I have got it to work even with autofix so now I automatic create a MKV file with subtitle so I can Watch on my TV
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM

/Update

Did find that it can run script to Control TSDoctor so now I have a script that make a MKV file with TS and SRT inside
    Did you use TSDoctor 1 or 2?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use TSDoctor 2 (2.0.64)
    Quote Quote