VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,
    I realize this may be an "old days" topic but I'd like to know if an old (late 90s, early 00s) Macrovision remover (aka video stabilizer) will remove the newer MV 7.0 signal from my set-top TV box. And if not, if there are newer MV removers out there that works. I found mostly old ones on Ebay and so on.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The issue isn't "MacroVision" but an additional digital anti-record signal that can't be handled by the old analog MV boxes designed for analog VHS. You need a current, fairly expensive "universal" digital video filter such as The Grex, available worldwide from various web dealers (including the mfr) for approx $99 (US).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Go for some cheap Chinese capture device - usually they can ignore Macrovision signal. Laste few revisions of Macrovision trying to corrupt video in many places - from practical perspective only capturing Macrovision is able to remove all corruption (Macrovision is not only fake sync pulses and AGC disturbances but also for example split chroma subcarrier burst - something that can't be fixed easily).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Orsetto, thanks for your reply. I do believe it is Macrovision because I'm feeding my Sony recorder through analogue cables, through which digital can't travel, and both the manufacturer of the set-top box and the satelite distributor confirms the box has Macrovision protection. I might have to go with the Grex, which is a bit expensive without knowing if it will work, but HDCP is not really my problem right now.

Pandy, I need something to work with my current setup, so can't buy any random capturing device. Thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by TheNorwegian View Post
    I'm feeding my Sony recorder through analogue cables, through which digital can't travel,
    Sorry if my wording was unclear. When I referred to an additional non-MV, "digital" signal I meant a new signal that triggers the newer record-shutdown circuit that was implemented in all dvd recorders. It is "digital" in the sense that recorders that create digital media (i.e. dvds) respond to it and prevent recording, where analog recorders such as VHS tape ignore it altogether (since it was invented long after VHS fell out of common use, so VCRs cannot detect it). Current set-top TV boxes send both MV and this newer signal thru their analog outputs.

I cannot give an exhaustive reply regarding technical details, because discussion of these devices is borderline-unacceptable according to VideoHelp rules. Suffice to say, standalone dvd recorders (especially Sony, which are hypersensitive) detect a newer type of anti-record flag in addition to traditional analog MV. That newer signal is not cleared by the old, cheap MV boxes from the VHS era. You absolutely need a device like The Grex, any of which cost approx the same money (unless you find a second-hand unit on eBay cheaper). The Grex is the most globally-known "modern" video filter, with the largest amount of discussion and vetting. It has a good reputation. Other brands are available, and may be easier for you to get in Scandinavia, but I am only familiar with The Grex.
    Last edited by orsetto; 24th Nov 2016 at 15:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The grex works very well. I own and use one regularly because despite the fact i use a Toshiba DR-4 to stabalize my vhs captures, it does not remove macrovision (mv) when my ATI-600 is connected. I have to have my grex before the ati-600 or else I get the following symptom of mv:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376945-Conventional-analog-capture-workflow-vs-alte...=1#post2464606
    Last edited by vhelp; 24th Nov 2016 at 17:24. Reason: fixed, brand name typo
    Quote Quote  
  7. Orsetto is talking about CGMS-A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A The Grex stabilizer claims to remove this flag.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Grex works well and does deal with this type of copy protection. However, annoyingly, it also noticeably softens the picture.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks everyone. Orsetto, it does look like I have to get a Grex or something similar. Thanks for explaining.
    Quote Quote